Home

Need tips for hitting

This is a discussion on Need tips for hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Need tips for hitting

I'm relatively new to the game. But I have the worse judgment on pitches. I know baseball in real life. Any tips
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Need tips for hitting

It's worth a try, but it took me many years to learn how to hit comfortably without feeling handicapped. This approach should be worth a try, to see how much improvement you may instantly gain.

Change your settings to eliminate all visual aid displays while hitting. Turn off hot/cold zone, strike zone, specifically. If you can be comfortable enough, also turn off guess pitch. Guess pitch was my biggest aid to hitting looking back but that's also because I was 15, 16 with no knowledge of the game yet.

Anyhow, take this to your next game and see how much improvement you might feel about hitting. My little sister plays, and I rigged her like this and she's further ahead than I was but she also has more baseball experience than I had at 15 either.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

OVR: 1

keep in mind as well that on the lower skill levels (vet and lower) the cpu pounds the strike zone relentlessly so you will see a lot of strikes, so IMO use these levels to recognize what the different pitches do and as you get better and go to allstar and higher , that's when you will really have to become selective and know the strike zone

I agree mostly with @legend except, until you get the "feel for it I would leave the strike zone up and pitch info for reference
Old 01-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Unless your looking for a quick fix, then nothing beats practice. Practice, practice, practice.
Then, for good measure, practice some more. Just don't let Allen Iverson catch you doing it.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

First step, edit the camera view. Personally I used the stock catcher and zoom in alittle and raise the zone to kinda frame the pitcher. You get a great look at the ball this way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #6
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
It's worth a try, but it took me many years to learn how to hit comfortably without feeling handicapped. This approach should be worth a try, to see how much improvement you may instantly gain.

Change your settings to eliminate all visual aid displays while hitting. Turn off hot/cold zone, strike zone, specifically. If you can be comfortable enough, also turn off guess pitch. Guess pitch was my biggest aid to hitting looking back but that's also because I was 15, 16 with no knowledge of the game yet.

Anyhow, take this to your next game and see how much improvement you might feel about hitting. My little sister plays, and I rigged her like this and she's further ahead than I was but she also has more baseball experience than I had at 15 either.

I was actually about to suggest this exact thing.

Turn off all the aides and focus on using your baseball knowledge and try to forget you're playing a video game.

Once I adopted this approach I was able to get a better feel for the game. (turning pitch speed down also helped me too.)

Oh, and patience.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

For me, its telling myself its ok to get to two strikes and its ok to take a pitch. Find/look for pitches in your hitters comfort zones. You will typically get one pitch to hit in your zone, just don't miss it.

As Ghost stated, the only cure is practice. Learn to recognize pitches and get comfortable seeing them. Practice is the only "guaranteed" way to become a good hitter in the Show.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #8
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmiles33
I'm relatively new to the game. But I have the worse judgment on pitches. I know baseball in real life. Any tips
Well the key statement, "you know baseball". If you used the behind the catcher view while you are at bat. Just try to judge the ball coming out the pitcher hand. Keep this in mind try to work the count. Meaning you might have to take the first pitch with some batters. If you get a first pitch count and you are up 1-0. My friend you have the advantage...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »