Home

Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year)

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #49
Rookie

videogameprojr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting (This Year) vs Timing Hitting (Last Year)

I'm still confused about directional hitting...Is directional hitting using the analog stick to hit or just to determine the influence BEFORE the swing? Do you use buttons to hit? Which stick do you use to influence and when can and can't you influence?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #50
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Question. In order to use directional hitting, do you have to hold the stick in the desired direction/influence, throughout the swing? Or just tap it, prior to the pitch?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 PM   #51
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
You can still see your timing by pressing R2 instead of L3.
Using the directional pad you can toggle between AB log and last pitch.

The last pitch displays timing, but no PCI.

I guess its something in how the game uses timing? There is no PCI with timing...as in thats not what the game uses to determine successful contact?

I know it was there in past years but just an assumption.
Yeah I'm very confused on what the game uses now to determine successful contact now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Yeah I get that. I did the same thing as far as the size of the PCI and knowing which guys had better plate vision. Now we will have to know their plate vision ratings better and understand it will mean less or more room for error to get good contact.

But knowing your players is part of the game. But I liked that feature and wonder why it was removed as it would dissapear once the pitch was being thrown.
Yeah I guess but there is no point in removing the feature though. Unless there's no PCI anymore for timing hitting? I wonder if Russell has talked about this before?

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 PM   #52
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapps
Question. In order to use directional hitting, do you have to hold the stick in the desired direction/influence, throughout the swing? Or just tap it, prior to the pitch?

Thanks
Hold. At least thats what I do. The camera will also move when you move stick.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink4ever
Yeah, just to follow up because I think I've seen a bit of confusion regarding that distinction. Directional hitting has to do with the direction you want to hit the ball, not where the ball is pitched. Now there is a relation as if you choose to pull a pitch, the camera shifts slightly so you have a better view of the inside corner (I'm assuming the camera only shifts if hitting from a behind the batter view, but I'll find out tonight).

I believe you just press the direction once to establish how you want to try to hit the ball (push, pull, ground, air, or some combination). If you don't pick any direction, then it is essentially the same as timing hitting last year.

One last thing - directional hitting cannot be used with zone. You have to pick one or the other.
So is there no setting now for direction of where the ball is pitched? Just what type of hit you want? i guess I am confused as well...
Old 04-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #54
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I'm going to try and make this question as clear and concise as possible.

First, I have always loved MVP Baseball's hitting, even more than zone or timing that can be used on The Show. With that said I was very happy to hear about directional hitting being added this year. But as more information came out, I wasn't so sure. After a few games with it tonight, I think that perhaps it is, in fact what I thought it was. Now here's the question...

Can we use directional hitting in the same manner in which we hit in MVP? In other words, can we wait until the pitch is thrown, move where we want to hit the ball and have influence on it? I know that we can move the camera (and therefore our "direction") after the pitch is thrown but does waiting util the last second to move the directional indicator come with any negative consequences.

My ideal hitting setup is to play with no indicators (yellow bars, which can be turned off), and without the camera moving. I know this setup can be achieved on MLB 15 but again, the question I have is whether or not doing it this way will have negative effects.

My understanding is that the hitting interface is meant to allow hitters to sit on certain zones, inside, low, high, etc. And while I do that from time to time, being able to move where I'm influencing the ball after it is pitched will be the best of both worlds.

I hope my question is clear as it's kind of difficult to explain exactly what's I'm thinking here.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #55
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Hold. At least thats what I do. The camera will also move when you move stick.
Wait what? You have to hold the stick?

If that's true that's crazy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #56
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
For guys playing the game (I will be in 2 hours yeah baby!!) are you able to use driectional in real time instead of having it pushed before the pitch.

Can you push the stick in the direction you want while simultaneously pressing the "X" button? Or must you pre load the direction before the pitch. On MVP 2005 you could use directional hitting in real time.
This is pretty much my exact question I have above. Can we move our direction after the pitch is thrown without having some major negative effects?

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »