Home

complete baseball noob needs tips

This is a discussion on complete baseball noob needs tips within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8
complete baseball noob needs tips

so fellas, my birthday is tomorrow and im going to be getting this game. i am a sports fan(mainly football and basketball) and i understand the basics of baseball, but i am not a baseball fan per say. meaning i dont follow any teams, i dont watch it on tv. however i have heard great things about this game and was told id enjoy it even if im not a diehard baseball fan.

so im gonna need some tips on how to get the best experience out of this game. what sliders or settings should i use? any specific roster i should download? are there any specific things i should know before i get started?

any help or tips would be appreciated. ill be checking this thread often in the next day or so.

thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: complete baseball noob needs tips

Sliders: The great part about this game is that it'll adjust your sliders for you if you use Dynamic Difficulty. So that's already done for you. No real need to tinker with them for awhile.

Roster: Soon the OSFM rosters will be finished and I'd recommend you use them. Check out the roster sub-forum for those. While you practice you can just use the default rosters.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Bat
what

Bat's Arena

OVR: 22

Don't worry about sliders at the moment. Try the dynamic difficulty. Starts low and adapts to you.

There is a roster vault. You can see what the most popular and best rated files are. The O.S. rosters won't be out for a while.

Try the different modes and see what you like.

Most of all, have fun and Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Bat; 04-07-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 2

The OSFM rosters people speak of stand for "Operation Sports Full Minors" meaning some dedicated people here from Operation Sports have put a lot of effort into ensuring all the real world minor league players are in the game so that the hardcore Franchise enthusiasts are actually using real people as opposed to the fake minor leaguers in their Franchises. But you have told us that you are new to the game don't really follow a team. I highly doubt you need to be worrying about waiting for the OSFM roster. The default roster (while far from perfect) has all the important Major League Players and you will be fine playing with them as you learn the game.

BTW welcome ... historically I myself have always been a Football, Hockey, Motorsports type of fan. But this game is so good, it's really made me appreciate baseball for what it is.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

the dynamic difficulty sounds awesome. ive never even heard of that for a sports game.

can i get some info about RTTS? what position should i choose? whats the most fun position to play? how long do RTTS games take to play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

rtts games are very quick, you can play defense & bat or just bat, just batting will have games over in 10-15 minutes. I'd suggest 2B as a position.
I wouldn't be especially concerned with rosters if I were new to the game, or new to following the big leagues. Default rosters would be fine to start. But if you are already aware of who plays where & what's going on in real life free agency & trades, then you probably won't want default rosters. After you become acclimated to who is on what team, then you can get deeper into rosters if you want.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Welcome, happy birthday and have fun!

Yes, Dynamic Difficulty is a game changer, every other sports game dev needs to look at implementing this going forward. The game starts you out on Beginner difficulty, tossing you fast balls right over the center of the plate until you get the grasp of batting timing. It then ramps up in a smooth and natural way so that there's never a huge gap in difficulty.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Rookie

Metapod's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Welcome, happy birthday and have fun!

Yes, Dynamic Difficulty is a game changer, every other sports game dev needs to look at implementing this going forward. The game starts you out on Beginner difficulty, tossing you fast balls right over the center of the plate until you get the grasp of batting timing. It then ramps up in a smooth and natural way so that there's never a huge gap in difficulty.
ironically madden was the first to do dynamic difficulty but it was extremely sensitive so no one used and as a response they took it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »