Home

Online bunting

This is a discussion on Online bunting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Online bunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
The OP is referencing a specific strategy people use online. They bunt every chance they can because they cannot hit consistently. There are people who hunt anytime a runner iso n 3rd and the game makes it very easy to bunt, even with hitters that have poor bunt ratings. Did you also enjoy the rampant early stealers in past games too? Sure it's in the game, but it makes PvP an annoyance rather than a joy.

It is sad that it has come to this, but in order to defend this you need to throw high fastballs anytime a runner is in 3rd as you have idea before hand if they are a bunter. If they show bunt purposefully hit the meter early to throw the ball out of reach. You can do the same for breaking pitches, but the chance for wild pitches is higher. This also doesn't work so well with pulse or classic, but with meter it is a viable strategy and better than having to pitch out every time.
I know exactly what OP is referencing. I simply think that is a viable strategy. Bunting is not a hard thing to do. Most MLB players can do it (aside from the big sluggers, some of whom, really struggle with bunting).

If you are playing someone who cant hit at all, then you shouldnt be worried about 1 run as if it is make or break. You can combat this in many different ways and if you give up the run, then so be it. Throw breaking pitches, throw fastballs up. Why is that any different than a runner on third without the threat of a bunt? You are still trying to get an out in the air or with a K. You are trying to avoid ground balls.

I think this is just frustration. Not a real issue
Old 04-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

It seems like some major league cheese to me. If it happens once in a while then it is probably something I could deal with but if it is a strategy that is common in online and DD games then it basically robs some of the fun from the game.

Other players are basically the reason I don't bother with online anymore. I think the last time I was online I was playing a guy who sent a quit request as soon as I hit a homerun and went up 1-0. I declined because that is a very suspicious time to want to quit and we only had a couple of innings left. He went on to win the game and then sent me rude, childish messages for the next several days.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
It seems like some major league cheese to me. If it happens once in a while then it is probably something I could deal with but if it is a strategy that is common in online and DD games then it basically robs some of the fun from the game.

Other players are basically the reason I don't bother with online anymore. I think the last time I was online I was playing a guy who sent a quit request as soon as I hit a homerun and went up 1-0. I declined because that is a very suspicious time to want to quit and we only had a couple of innings left. He went on to win the game and then sent me rude, childish messages for the next several days.
The bunting thing doesnt take the fun out of it, come on. It only happens with runners on 3rd, and you should be able to combat it pretty easily. (Plus, if your opponent sucks that much, 1 run shouldnt matter anyway). It is a part of the game. Asking people to play the way you want them to is stupid.

As far as the quitting/message part, you shouldnt feel bad at all about declining a quit request if the game is past the 5th inning. Real games go official after 5 anyway...and if you are leading prior to 5, its hard to accept that as well. If someone sends me a message, I will consider a quit prior to the 5th inning, but anything after the 5th is official in my book.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #12
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
I know exactly what OP is referencing. I simply think that is a viable strategy. Bunting is not a hard thing to do. Most MLB players can do it (aside from the big sluggers, some of whom, really struggle with bunting).

If you are playing someone who cant hit at all, then you shouldnt be worried about 1 run as if it is make or break. You can combat this in many different ways and if you give up the run, then so be it. Throw breaking pitches, throw fastballs up. Why is that any different than a runner on third without the threat of a bunt? You are still trying to get an out in the air or with a K. You are trying to avoid ground balls.

I think this is just frustration. Not a real issue
Except most major leaguers cant bunt that easily. Every single player in this game can drop perfect bunts down either line, it isnt realistic, if you want to pretend it is because you have to do it to score youre kidding yourself.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

If you have videos please post them.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #14
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
If you have videos please post them.
I dont make a habit of recording games or anything but I can confirm. Almost everyone abuses the crap out of bunting and squeezing. Dont even get me started on stealing, and how pitching out and slide stepping are still too slow to throw anyone out even with 99arm 99 accuracy.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
Rookie

Mck23tyler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
you dont like that your opponent can bunt? lol

seems rather picky to be telling your opponent what they can and cannot do.

if i want to move runners, im gonna bunt. honestly, a lot of people are bad at it and you can steal outs that way, but the suicide is a risk reward play. if i get one down, thats a risky move and i should be rewarded.
I don't care if they can bunt but I find it very obnoxious when every time they get a runner on 3rd the bunt and get a point. And the only way to stop it is to alter your pitching to hopefully force a pop up bunt or giving the hitter good hitters counts cause you're pitching differently. It's a lose lose and makes playing online very unenjoyable, along with other reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #16
Rookie

Mck23tyler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
I dont make a habit of recording games or anything but I can confirm. Almost everyone abuses the crap out of bunting and squeezing. Dont even get me started on stealing, and how pitching out and slide stepping are still too slow to throw anyone out even with 99arm 99 accuracy.
I 100% agree the base runners are over powered if thats even a thing in a sports game lol. I don't see a need for anyone who has lower than 80 speed online cause once you get on base it's steal second, third, squeeze home. Oh also they bunt for their base hit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »