Home

How do you guys handle it when IRL callups don't make sense?

This is a discussion on How do you guys handle it when IRL callups don't make sense? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 20
How do you guys handle it when IRL callups don't make sense?

I mean relative to in-game ratings, that is ...

A quick example from my team is a guy like Bruce Rondon who is touted and projected to be a late-inning guy for the Tigers if not the closer. Well, in the game here he's roughly the 15th-best reliever in the system. No-namers like Ian Krol, Melvin Mercedes and Alex Wilson are all much better than him. So how to approach stuff like this?

Another example is at C, where IRL Brian Holaday was sent down to AAA while James McCann has made the big club, but in-game Holaday is a much higher-rated player.

Just two examples but there are countless others of this happening over the course of the year, where a farm system will have 5-10 guys rated much higher than the guy who eventually gets called up to the bigs and it causes some serious cognitive dissonance: "this 58-overall guy with a 34 fielding rating should get called up over this 68-overall guy with a 63 fielding rating," etc.

How do you guys approach this phenomenon?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How do you guys handle it when IRL callups don't make sense?

Sometimes I ignore the ratings.
Sometimes I change the ratings.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #3
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

To me, It really depends if the real life team is good or bad. If they are good then I will keep the roster identical. If they are bad then I don't care.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Alot of it has to do with potential. They don't want to have a mediocre at best player at his peak over a guy with a higher potential who could improve over the course of the year.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #5
Rookie

mwink31's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
Alot of it has to do with potential. They don't want to have a mediocre at best player at his peak over a guy with a higher potential who could improve over the course of the year.
Bam. This.

For instance...if McCann is lower rated but a potential A or B, it makes sense that they would call him up over Holaday who may have a higher overall rating, but a D potential.

I wouldn't have an issue with McCann over Holaday because as it turns out, he made the show out of spring training. As for Krol over Rondon, I might make the change to keep Rondon up just for realism....but I'm all about those power arms.

With all that being said....You may want to wait for the OSFM Hybrid roster which will include realistic player ratings vs. default game rosters. That also may help in seeing unrealistic call ups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2015, 04:20 AM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I mean relative to in-game ratings, that is ...

A quick example from my team is a guy like Bruce Rondon who is touted and projected to be a late-inning guy for the Tigers if not the closer. Well, in the game here he's roughly the 15th-best reliever in the system. No-namers like Ian Krol, Melvin Mercedes and Alex Wilson are all much better than him. So how to approach stuff like this?

Another example is at C, where IRL Brian Holaday was sent down to AAA while James McCann has made the big club, but in-game Holaday is a much higher-rated player.

Just two examples but there are countless others of this happening over the course of the year, where a farm system will have 5-10 guys rated much higher than the guy who eventually gets called up to the bigs and it causes some serious cognitive dissonance: "this 58-overall guy with a 34 fielding rating should get called up over this 68-overall guy with a 63 fielding rating," etc.

How do you guys approach this phenomenon?

For my 1st season I follow all transactions and injuries to that of real life. So even if a player is doing well, if he gets sent down I send him down. I tend to tinker with ratings all season in that 1st yr of my chise, to try to get players playing close to how they are doing IRL, although sometime that has no effect and no matter what you ratings they have, they tedn to do the opposite of what their ratings say they should do.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Banned

I know everyones got their own agenda and what they enjoy about the game, but I'll never understand why it's so important to match rosters to what they are in real life. I guess player editing makes it possible to a certain extent, but the moment you start franchise random things are going to happen you can't control. Then what?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »