Home

MLB 15 The Show: Diamond Dynasty Hits and Whiffs

This is a discussion on MLB 15 The Show: Diamond Dynasty Hits and Whiffs within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: MLB 15 The Show: Diamond Dynasty Hits and Whiffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Its not spot on. You can do that in any of the UT modes in other sports games.
No, you can't.

In Madden, you can't buy players directly. You can buy packs with random players in it , but if I want the Michael Vick 24 hour boss, I can't buy coins to get it on the auction house.

You can purchase the in game currency in this game. As far as I know, you can't (legally) do that in any other UT mode. That makes this "Pay actual for the best players".

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
No, you can't.

In Madden, you can't buy players directly. You can buy packs with random players in it , but if I want the Michael Vick 24 hour boss, I can't buy coins to get it on the auction house.

You can purchase the in game currency in this game. As far as I know, you can't (legally) do that in any other UT mode. That makes this "Pay actual for the best players".

I edited my response while you were making this post. I had read it wrong at first.

Baseball is nothing like the other sports where you have to rely on your CPU teammates as heavily and so the "pay to win" is unnecessary. If it had said, "pay to have stacked lineup" there would have been no issue.

Last edited by Shakedowncapo; 04-10-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #19
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Him putting "win" in there like its a given is click-bait material.
Click-bait? You're using a buzz word and trying to make it relevant - If he put "Pay To Win" in the title of the article, or the short blurb describing it on the forums, it would be click bait. It's buried in the article.

And like I said - Stick Skills are need in EVERY online game. This game is no different than any other UT game for stick skills. So that is no longer a variable.

If I out two people with the same skill level, I give on $100 and one nothing, the one with $100 wins 99% of the time because he can directly buy players. In other UT modes, that percentage lowers because the player is at the mercy of the luck of the packs he purchases with said $100. He still has an advantage, but not as blatant as he has in Diamond Dynasty.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

Quote:
Click-bait? You're using a buzz word and trying to make it relevant - If he put "Pay To Win" in the title of the article, or the short blurb describing it on the forums, it would be click bait. It's buried in the article.

And like I said - Stick Skills are need in EVERY online game. This game is no different than any other UT game for stick skills. So that is no longer a variable.

If I out two people with the same skill level, I give on $100 and one nothing, the one with $100 wins 99% of the time because he can directly buy players. In other UT modes, that percentage lowers because the player is at the mercy of the luck of the packs he purchases with said $100. He still has an advantage, but not as blatant as he has in Diamond Dynasty.

Your point is just not relevant when it comes to the pitcher vs batter aspect of baseball. You saying stick skills are just like any other UT, where one has the CPU controlling 4 other players(NBA) and the other controlling 10 other players(NFL and FIFA) is ridiculous. Your ability to rely on the CPU is not even in the same ballpark when comparing MLB to the others.

Also, saying the guy with $100 wins 99% of the time is you spitting out arbitrary numbers...With nothing in between to back up that claim.

Last edited by Shakedowncapo; 04-10-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Didn't read the article (don't care about these types of game modes) but whoever is responsible for that jersey needs to be banned
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2015, 06:02 PM   #22
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Your point is just not relevant when it comes to the pitcher vs batter aspect of baseball. You saying stick skills are just like any other UT, where one has the CPU controlling 4 other players(NBA) and the other controlling 10 other players(NFL and FIFA) is ridiculous. Your ability to rely on the CPU is not even in the same ballpark when comparing MLB to the others.

Also, saying the guy with $100 wins 99% of the time is you spitting out arbitrary numbers...With nothing in between to back up that claim.
The pitcher vs batter aspect still everything to do with ratings. Clayton Kershaw will perform better for you than Ubaldo Jimenez. And I can go buy Clayton Kershaw on the Community Market right now if I just installed the game for the first time.

I never have to even buy a pack of cards to build my team. That simply is not true of any other Ultimate Team game mode.

How much tournament MUT or FUT have you seen? They are hardly "relying on the CPU". They've all taken steps to make sure the CPU doesn't affect their game.

If you can buy your team directly with cash, then the author's comment rings true. Just because it's "baseball" doesn't change that fact.

If they had in game currency that wasn't purchased with cash (using MUT for an example, where the purchasable currency can only be used for packs, not on the Auction House) don't you think that would fix this issue? That is what the author is talking about.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

Quote:
The pitcher vs batter aspect still everything to do with ratings. Clayton Kershaw will perform better for you than Ubaldo Jimenez. And I can go buy Clayton Kershaw on the Community Market right now if I just installed the game for the first time.

I never have to even buy a pack of cards to build my team. That simply is not true of any other Ultimate Team game mode.

How much tournament MUT or FUT have you seen? They are hardly "relying on the CPU". They've all taken steps to make sure the CPU doesn't affect their game.

If you can buy your team directly with cash, then the author's comment rings true. Just because it's "baseball" doesn't change that fact.

If they had in game currency that wasn't purchased with cash (using MUT for an example, where the purchasable currency can only be used for packs, not on the Auction House) don't you think that would fix this issue? That is what the author is talking about.
Like the author also talked about...There is a black market for this type of activity in those games, illegal or not, its still there being done!

As far as your comparison goes with ratings being the deciding factor, I'll never buy into that when it comes to baseball. Ubaldo in the hands of one gamer can be completely different in the hands of another. When Moyer was still around I would throw gems in my online leagues because I knew how to pitch with him and use deception when working outside and inside of the plate, no. Yet, when putting Halladay on the mound I struggled all year...Why?! Ratings sure didn't help me when pitching as the best pitcher in the game!

All of us have that with certain players whether its batting or pitching, so for you to say that ultimately the ratings matter the most...especially in the most important aspect (pitcher vs batter) is just not right to me.

Last edited by Shakedowncapo; 04-10-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #24
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Like the author also talked about...There is a black market for this type of activity in those games, illegal or not, its still there being done!

As far as your comparison goes with ratings, I'll never buy into that. Ubaldo in the hands of one gamer can be completely different in the hands of another. When Moyer was still around I would throw gems in my online leagues because I knew how to pitch with him. Yet, when putting Halladay on the mound I struggled all year...Why?! Ratings sure didn't help me!

All of us have that with certain players whether its batting or pitching, so for you to say that ultimately the ratings matter the most...especially in the most important aspect (pitcher vs batter) is just not right to me.

It may be happening, but that is not the fault or intent of the developer. And people are banned when they are found to be doing it.

You could say the same thing about Madden. I can't use mobile quarterbacks. But I'm awesome with Payton Manning and Tom Brady (two frowned upon QBs in the MUT game). Player preference doesn't change. Problem is I can't buy Manning or Brady straight up. I can buy anyone I want in MLB.

The design of the mode is sound, with this exception. You can not directly link money to in game currency. You need two forms of currency - One to purchase random cards (in the form of packs, so this would be okay with cash) and one to run your Community Market.

I'm curious as (posting this again) to whether you think two forms of currency would make the game mode better. If you do, then you and I agree on basics and are arguing the semantics of the effects of "Player Skill". If you don't, I would like you to explain how.

I don't mind having a back and forth with you, but I'd like it if you responded to my posts instead of turning the attention to another point so that we could make this more constructive.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »