Home

Bunts are such a glaring problem compared to everything else

This is a discussion on Bunts are such a glaring problem compared to everything else within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Bunts are such a glaring problem compared to everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Great ideas. Sometimes I get too automatic when playing and need to remember the situations as the CPU does take advantage of me sometimes.

If I recall correctly, Brett Butler hit .498 in his career on drag bunts or bunts for hits. However, I definitely agree that players with poor bunting ratings don't have a difficult enough time laying down a good bunt. Been this way for a number of years. Looks like the MLB success rate is something like 62-66% over the past few years.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-batting.shtml
Right, and that 66% stat applies to bunting for a sacrifice. It seems in The SHow, that anyone can bunt, and get on base, about 66% of the time.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #34
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

It's definetly not good I'm just thankful I play in the AL so it's toned down a bit.

Had a game a couple days ago against Atlanta 14th inning young Jr gets a bunt single on the first pitch. Whoever was next goes to sacrifice bunt. Perfectly down the 3rd baseline 1st pitch out of the zone. Gets a single. Next guy sacrifice bunt. 1st pitch low curveball outside perfectly down 3rd baseline. Gets a single. Freeman then hits a grandslam on a change up outside and low. First pitch and he pulled it as well. I rage quit lol luckily that doesn't happen very often.

Just now on my closer in RTTS I had saved like 15 or 16 games in a row and I had a feeling I was due for some shenanigans. I get called in 1 run game. Let me add here that my guy throws 100 mph fastballs.
1st batter. First pitch at his chest 100 mph fastball perfect bunt 3rd base line. Base hit.
2nd batter. First pitch above his chest out of the strike zone 100 mph hoping to make him pop it up because I had a feeling what I was in for. Perfect bunt down the 1st baseline catcher doesn't even throw it. Base hit.
3rd batter. Intentionally miss the strike zone by a mile with a slider. Doesn't square up. Sweet. 2nd pitch 98 mph fastball up bunts perfectly down the 3rd base line. And my third baseman does the animation where he goes to bare hand it but comes up empty. Loaded bases no outs.
4th batter and I swear to god this is true. 99 mph fastball in the strike zone high and away my catcher just misses it hits him in the shoulder trickles 2 feet away he picks it up and watches the guy on third score. Doesn't move. I proceed to go nuclear with eff bombs and uh ya. Then to add insult to injury the wife wakes up and says jeez it's just a game..............rage quit.

I've played I dunno probably 60 franchise games and alot of RTTS and these are the only 2 really overt instances where I genuinely felt jobbed and who knows maybe I could have did something different but no real big deal love the game but in my experiences I agree bunting for singles seems too easy.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #35
All Star

OVR: 0

I would say this is about the only gameplay problem left in the game. While that and to many balls hit up the middle and hitting the pitcher lol. But this has always been a problem in the show not so much that I can bunt for a hit all the time but if you want to sac bunt its like a 98% success rate. Like ever bunt in the game goes down. You like never see bunts that go in the air or foul. I also noticed that once in a while when a bunt dose go back to the pitcher or something that a lot of times the CPU wont even throw the ball to second base even when it would be a easy out at second. You like never seen bunts that are double plays or unsuccessfully sac bunts. I guess I am very lucky though because I am see like ever one saying that the CPU tries to squeeze bunt or even suicide squeeze all the time and I have not once ever seen the CPU try that ageist me and I have played ever mlb the show from 08-15. The only time the CPU tries to bunt ageist me is when there is a guy a first to try to get him over to second or when no one is one base. I don't get why I am not having the CPU trying that ageist me when ever one else is but that is a good thing.

Last edited by Smallville102001; 04-21-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2015, 05:22 AM   #36
Pro

OVR: 3

Yeah, this is definitely the one problem they need to fix, along with the freezing online sometimes if you hit a batter.

They need to work whatever magic they need to do to make it so that batters without 80+ in bunting have a harder time doing so.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #37
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

OVR: 2

bunting is so easy in real life it takes no skill. i haven't played organized baseball in over 13 years but i go to the batting cages every so often to work on my eye-hand coordination for hockey and i can easily lay down a bunt from my wrong batting hand . you have to give these athletes more credit. anyone can bunt. imagine how easy it is for people who do this for a living! in addition, your difficulty settings and pitching strategies are very much related to your problem.

Last edited by HouseKeepinItReal; 04-21-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #38
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal
bunting is so easy in real life it takes no skill. i haven't played organized baseball in over 13 years but i go to the batting cages every so often to work on my eye-hand coordination for hockey and i can easily lay down a bunt from my wrong batting hand . you have to give these athletes more credit. anyone can bunt. imagine how easy it is for people who do this for a living! in addition, your difficulty settings and pitching strategies are very much related to your problem.

I kind of agree but disagree with you on that. I think bunting is like the easiest thing to do in baseball by far and any one should be able to lay down a sac bunt with easy but I would say its not easy to lay down a bunt hit.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #39
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal

Do you watch baseball? this is so false its not even funny. Most professional players cant bunt. The sacrifice bunt rate was under 70% in baseball last year, and that is just sacrifices, doesnt include bunting for hits.

MLB teams averaged 18 bunt hits per year last year, there were 4 players in MLB last year with double digit bunt hits for the year.

In 650 at bats, Dee Gordon led baseball with 20, thats one every 8 games.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 6

and of those successful sacrifice bunts, a majority of them are pitchers! not your everyday players. especially in the american league, where small ball is not the norm

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »