Home

Overused animations?

This is a discussion on Overused animations? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
Overused animations?

I have noticed some animations appear to be "overused" in the game. For example, the one where the pitcher takes off his hat and sort of mops his brow with his arm. I have seen that happen a few times in one inning and over the course of a game way too often. It may be related to fatigue, but I have seen it happen in the first inning of games after a few batters.

Also, there is one where the first baseman after the third out for some reason starts running towards right field rather than walking to dugout. Not only is this one overused, it is incorrect.

Lastly, the sliding into home animation - only shows slides and players reach for plate with their hands. What happened to feet first slides at the plate?

How about you? Which animations do you think are overused or could have alternates added?

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Overused animations?

Agreed, especially the one about the first baseman running towards right field after the 3rd out. Also, the animation where the ball pulls the man off of the bag is occurring more frequently compared to last year.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

The hunch shoulder from the pitcher after a K.. it has been the same for several versions of MLB
Old 04-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

That's so true! Some animations are really overused. Two ways to fix this I'd say play less cutscenes in general (they kind of went this route already this year) or add some more. Hope they'll chose the 2nd option, I honestly don't mind if there are still some animations from few years back as long as there just keep on adding stuff every year.

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-
Old 04-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 7

I don't think it qualifies as an "animation" persay, but I hate the sweat line pattern they have on all of the players' hats. I'm assuming that's what it's meant to be anyways, not a big thing but it's just one of those minor things I notice every year that I wish they'd change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Well in real life when I play I take my hat off after almost every pitch, just a habit I have. But I agree with the other ones. All those added 3rd out animations for first baseman but the one where he heads towards the second baseman happens a 1/3 of the time.
I have only ever seen one type of slide (auto sliding) into home, where the player slides feet first to the side of the plate then reaches over with one hand to touch home, often avoiding the tag.
And then this year there are way too many bare hand plays by infielders. Almost every time in this years game when an infielder charges a ball they bare hand it, even when the ball is bouncing several feet off the ground and there is no need to rush the throw (and they never bobble it).
Would also be nice to have more variety of diving catch animations instead of the all-out superman dive every time.

There are a lot of nice new animations this year but overall it seems there is less variety seen per game than previous years.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 10

It seems like to me that far too many (the majority, in fact) of throws to first base are either dug out of the ground or the kind where he has to stretch very high. Therefore, I think those two animations play out a bit too much. Personally, I'd prefer 25% more accuracy on the throws, I guess.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

The animation I see a lot is: when the 3rd baseman or 2nd baseman catches the ball from the OF, it always seems to pull them off the bag to the Left, arms outstretched, running, and recovering. They catch it, but they are out of position for any follow-up throws.

Anyhoots, still LOVE this game this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »