Home

Why are the animations so bad?

This is a discussion on Why are the animations so bad? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Why are the animations so bad?

For all the new cutscenes and seeming increase in variety of hits I am still seeing the same animation problems that were in '14 and going further back than that. Here are a few, I may not be describing them correctly but they are there:

... outfielder line drives a throw to the infielder in a dead ball play. Example: returning the ball to the infielder on a single.

... outfielder smoothly trots to make a catch, and a few feet from the catch he sprints (or morphs?) to the ball. I can not tell if it is a timing issue or a hiccup in the animation. Normally an outfielder would sprint to the location and then slow up before making the catch.

... second baseman has plenty of time to pitch the ball to a covering short stop, but hesitates and then covers the second base bag himself with no time to make a play at first.

It seems that the second year into the new console they would have smoothed things out. I would like the developers to to make the core gameplay into something that looks realistic and without the framerate issues before adding other features to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Why are the animations so bad?

Pre-load in throws and working the fielding angles would alleviate a lot of that... I'll post some examples tomorrow, since I've been capturing footage to show how you can get the same animations as the CPU with assisted fielding. I think those examples can be used for this too.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
Banned

I appreciate you doing that, but I am afraid it wouldn't be of help to us Manager Only Mode players.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:15 AM   #4
MVP

Syce's Arena

the 2 things i get frustrated with is if the opponent hits out to the outfield your fielder will catch it after it has bounced on the ground or even if they caught it, they take their sweet *** time throwing it back in. They should catch it and just turn and throw it in immediatly, they shouldnt just slow down casually turn then toss the ball in. CATCH THE BALL AND THROW IT IN YOU HAVE RUNNERS GO!!!

or trying to get a double play where sometimes of the shortstop or the 2nd baseman will just casually toss the ball to the other covering the base making it just a single out instead of the double play.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:16 AM   #5
Pro

I too am getting extremely frustrated with the lackadaisical play/animations of the outfielders, even with preloaded throws. Especially on throws to the cut off man when a runner tags. Just because I hit L1 doesn't mean I don't care about runner, game. It means that I know that my fielder doesn't have a strong enough arm to throw a dart from warning track to home.

I thought the lackadaisical animations were bad last year, but jeez, they're costing me games this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

As much as I love this game, that "I'll take my time" animation did cost me a game.

Man on second, 1 out, my outfielder makes the grab at the wall, guy tags up, outfielder takes FOREVER to get the ball in, with the old two arms on the wall, push off, the little nice and easy jump/skip/throw like "there's nobody on base", man on second scores EASILY from second on the tag up. Game over.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgamer72
I appreciate you doing that, but I am afraid it wouldn't be of help to us Manager Only Mode players.
Gotcha. I can't speak on MOM, as I've only "played" it 3X tops, ever.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »