Home

Sliders and ratings

This is a discussion on Sliders and ratings within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Sliders and ratings

Ok I am new to this series. I have only played one game in this series before which was MLB 10. I usually played 2k. When I played 10 which was only a couple of games it was quite difficult compared to 2k. Out of frustration I started tweeking the sliders. The problem is that the sliders didn't work that I could see. I even went so far as to turn all of the user sliders all the way up and the cpu sliders all the way down. Not only that but I took a few players on my roster and made them 99s to see if it made any difference and it didn't. I might as well have not tweeked the sliders or ratings at all. So I have two questions.

1. Do the sliders and ratings actually work with this version of the game.

2. I have heard there is a beginner mode. Is there and would it be of any help to me not having really ever played this series before.

I bought the game but I haven't had the chance to play it yet so I am curious.

I am sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help you can give me.

Last edited by jhall181; 05-10-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Sliders and ratings

So any insight at all?
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

I would start with leaving the sliders as is. And start playing with dynamic difficult on.
Keep in mind I don't have the game, but have played all the others in the series up till now.
I'm just going by what I've read about 15 thus far.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall181
Ok I am new to this series. I have only played one game in this series before which was MLB 10. I usually played 2k. When I played 10 which was only a couple of games it was quite difficult compared to 2k. Out of frustration I started tweeking the sliders. The problem is that the sliders didn't work that I could see. I even went so far as to turn all of the user sliders all the way up and the cpu sliders all the way down. Not only that but I took a few players on my roster and made them 99s to see if it made any difference and it didn't. I might as well have not tweeked the sliders or ratings at all. So I have two questions.

1. Do the sliders and ratings actually work with this version of the game.

2. I have heard there is a beginner mode. Is there and would it be of any help to me not having really ever played this series before.

I bought the game but I haven't had the chance to play it yet so I am curious.

I am sorry for the long post and I appreciate any help you can give me.
1. Yes they actually do work, but the changes through sliders are not exaggerated and tend to be rather subtle and you may not feel their effects unless you play for a long time.

2. You go to gameplay options and just change the difficulty (can do separately for hitting, pitching, and fielding)... available levels are Beginner, Dynamic, Rookie, Veteran, All-Star, Hall of Fame, and Legend.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Banned

Ok thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Banned

What about ratings? If you have a 99 player will he play like a 99 player?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall181
What about ratings? If you have a 99 player will he play like a 99 player?
This really depends on what you consider a 99 player. The 0 - 100 scale often used in sports games itself is a rather arbitrary concept (as is the 20 - 80 scale often used in real-life scouting), and a 99 rating only means that the player has the best skill in that rating category.

But what is best?

My impression from tweaking all these things In The Show in the past is that ratings are calibrated to recent MLB stats, which means even the 99 Contact player tends to plateau around (roughly) .320 batting average and 99 Power player tends to plateau around (roughly) 40 HRs in a full season.

If you are expecting in jacking up all ratings you can create a Barry Bonds in early 2000s, then it's not going to happen by attribute rating changes alone.

This may or may not be what you want, but The Show in the current state is rather carefully tuned to simulate the current-era MLB.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

Even with all your players at 99 it doesn't matter much if you can't play the game. What I mean is, if you chase bad pitches you are not gonna hit good. So like one of the other guys said, leave the sliders alone and start with dynamic difficulty for hitting and pitching.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »