Home

Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs?

This is a discussion on Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #73
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Can we stop already with the RISP less-than-2-outs popouts and line outs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbquick
There shouldn't be any attribute affect on the outcomes of RISP scenarios. From everything I've read, there is very little, if any, statistical evidence that players perform differently in what would be classified as clutch situations.

If you are correct, I can't help but wonder what I actually have control of in this game. What's the point in planning if I'm limited in the affect I have on the outcome.
I've looked at how the Clutch rating affects in RISP, and it only changes attributes by a few % (for detail, look at this post: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...4&postcount=99), which is consistent with what the developers have revealed about the attribute before.

That translates to about +/- .015 in batting average in extremes (Clutch rating of 25 and 99)... this is moderate or big depending on how you look at it, but overall it's not giving players unrealistic boosts. Unless you can notice a huge difference between a normal .255 hitter and a super-clutch .270 hitter... whatever "anomalies" you see in the game are not likely due to the Clutch attribute.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 0

Do you never advance the runner? If not then I think thats just baseball.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #75
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I've looked at how the Clutch rating affects in RISP, and it only changes attributes by a few % (for detail, look at this post: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...4&postcount=99), which is consistent with what the developers have revealed about the attribute before.

That translates to about +/- .015 in batting average in extremes (Clutch rating of 25 and 99)... this is moderate or big depending on how you look at it, but overall it's not giving players unrealistic boosts. Unless you can notice a huge difference between a normal .255 hitter and a super-clutch .270 hitter... whatever "anomalies" you see in the game are not likely due to the Clutch attribute.
Thank you for that information. I don't have any issues with small adjustments like that.

It is frustrating that this game is shrouded in so much mystery.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k

Batting average is one thing - but does it impact OPS/OBP/SLG?

Does clutch impact things like discipline or vision? Does it make hits "harder" or "softer"?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #77
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37

Cubs just flew out twice in a row with runners in scoring position. Immediately thought of this. It does happen in real baseball. I'm going to be honest, I think I hit too well with runners in scoring position. I think my average in my franchise is above .350 with RISP. Maybe I'm just really good at the game, but my friend who plays in the franchise with me isn't nearly as good and he still manages to hit well with RISP. You can't really expect every situation with runners on to result in a hard hit ball.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #78
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I for one, after completing a season including Spring Training believe there are far less diving catches or spectacular catches in than game vs real life, especially in the outfield. This is an area that I would love to see them expand upon.

Do or did you have data collected for a basis of that statement? I'd sure like to see your results on the amount of diving catches or stops...
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #79
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo
Do or did you have data collected for a basis of that statement? I'd sure like to see your results on the amount of diving catches or stops...
No I don't and seeing as how you do not have the game, I don't know why you would need to see the results of any data collected.

But since you asked, I would guess, now this is based on my experience, that the amount of diving catches or spectacular catches in the outfield ratio out to be about 3 to 1 in terms of catches in real life vs in the game. I believe the reason is that there are not enough animations to account for each situation in the outfield where a spectacular play could be made, and also believe that the way the dive plays out, lessens the chances of making a spectacular play. Do they happen? Absolutely, I just think there need to be more animations put into play, or altered how they are triggered to get them to play out.

And I would also appreciate you not trolling my posts.

Thanks

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 06-12-2015 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Answered his question
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 PM   #80
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Troll... Lol. Me not having the game has nothing to do with it. I've had every other game in the series and always thought there was to many diving catches, but I never researched it nor kept track. Thus why I asked. Also if your gonna ask others to collect data to back up their statement you might wanna do the same. Also actually when I was posting my question to you I thought about what if you did or anybody for that matter had the data on diving catches what would we compare it to? Do they keep such a stat?
Btw might wanna do a bit more asking or digging before you acuse one of trolling

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »