Home

How to build a squad in franchise??

This is a discussion on How to build a squad in franchise?? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Rookie

mullhouse's Arena

OVR: 1
How to build a squad in franchise??

Been trying to get an opinion on this one for a while now... Just wondering what strategy you guys use in building a strong team that you play with (no simming).

What types of players do you look for? What attributes? What attributes do you train on and why?

I guess I'm trying to figure out the best method to building a contending, user controlled team in franchise mode.

Any thoughts or strategies would be totally appreciated!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to build a squad in franchise??

There is no correct way to do it. You can build through trades, FA, draft and develop. It doesn't matter all of these have worked at one time or another.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I love to build pitching/defense/speed squads, personally, and I'm a huge fan of investing heavily in the bullpen.

If I had a choice between allocating funds toward a slugger or toward 2-3 good relievers, I'd choose the latter every time.

With hitters, I like to see if I can draft 1-2 guys with good power potential and then trade them off when they're at the end of the team control period so I don't have to pay them astronomical money.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Rookie

Keenan G.'s Arena

I am in year 2 of my Angels franchise that I carried over from MLB 14. My approach is to build through drafting and developing players. I have made only one trade and that was when I traded away Josh Hamilton for a few minor league players. I had a younger and faster player in AAA that I called up to replace Hamilton.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Rookie

Keenan G.'s Arena

I need to figure out what I am going to do with Pujols and that huge contract.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Depends on what team you start with. For example, I play with the Mets, so it was pretty easy and didnt take long because of their wealth of young starters so I simply acquired some big bats in the draft and trades

But if you're starting with a team like the Phillies or Braves, it would be smarter to trade away big names for high potential prospects and draft with your high draft picks because of your team early struggles in the first 2-3 years.

If you are playing with a team like the Angels who have a player like Trout and are just a few pieces away from being in playoff contention, work the free agency market because they have money to spend.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

this may be a bit of an exploit, but because stolen bases are so easy in this year's game, I like having plenty of guys with 70+ speed and decent steal ratings. I try to have 3-4 of these guys scattered through my lineup each game. You can manufacture a lot of runs just by getting your lead off hitter on base a few times per game. Base hit or walk to lead off the inning, steal 2nd, and either score on a simple single or get him to 3rd somehow and score on a lazy ground out or fly out.

For pitching, I lean towards guys with good control. If you are able to paint the corners and not make too many mistakes, you can be successful. I'm not too concerned with strikeouts, and I don't mind giving up some home runs if I'm not allowing too many base runners.

But I can't stand pitchers who constantly miss their spots and either walk guys at a silly rate or miss over the plate too often and get knocked around easily. As a pitcher's confidence goes down, so does their control, and the situation snowballs. And the next thing you know you've given up a couple walks and a couple extra base hits, and in the blink of an eye you've just allowed a 3-4 run inning.

Anyway, these are the attributes I've built around to be successful in my franchise. But this is just works for me, with my play style, difficulty, and slider settings, and personal ability with the game.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Rookie

mullhouse's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks for all of the replies... Are there specific attributes you guys focus on? Contact? Also how much of an effect does defense really have in the game? I use A&S sliders so my fielding is auto...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »