Home

Revived my Franchise by Simming a Season

This is a discussion on Revived my Franchise by Simming a Season within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Revived my Franchise by Simming a Season

I know I am probably way behind the curve on this one, but I figured out a way to enjoy this game again: by simming a season ahead. I've been playing MLB The Shows since the first one came out on PS2, and I've never done this before. Maybe I'm a fool, but I would always play the current year's Red Sox season in my Franchise, get bored with it by around December, and stop playing. I was on a similar path this year, but was getting bored/frustrated with it by July, which isn't good. I guess the Red Sox awful real-life team was somewhat of a blessing in disguise because instead of waiting for them to make good moves in real life, I realized I can just sim to the 2016 season and do all the off-season moves myself! So that's what I did. With the game assisting me by retiring Big Papi, I was able to make good trades and pickups and keep the young guys, so now I have a team that is actually FUN to play with. And not surprisingly, I am playing much better over the first 12 games of the 2016 season.

There are still the insanely frustrating issues with the game, per the usual: (1) the CPU comeback ability is worse than in all prior iterations IMO. I know that I will never win a game by 5+ runs. Every single time I am winning, they will comeback in absurd fashion. I'll have my pitcher pitching a gem through about 6 or 7 innings with a ton of strikeouts and then, boom, they score a ton of runs to come close, tie it, or take the lead, often on ridiculous unrealistic plays/hits/errors. And did you ever notice how their clutch level is off the charts high? If the CPU gets a runner in scoring position, I feel like he scores about 90% of the time. (2) the occasional CPU pitcher game freeze/stutter on a 2-strike count that makes you unable to hit it and inevitably strike out. (3) I know there are more, but can't think of them at the moment.

Anyways, that's by diatribe. I can't believe it's taken me 10+ years of The Show to realize that simming the current dead season, making off-season moves, and then playing with a team that is essentially my own, is the way to revive the game! For those who, like me, haven't thought of this yet, go ahead and try it!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Revived my Franchise by Simming a Season

What I don't like about moving ahead is they don't have the names or faces for the future stars. That bugs me big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
What I don't like about moving ahead is they don't have the names or faces for the future stars. That bugs me big time.

Yah, I hear that, but I can overlook that for all the other benefits of it.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Pro

shark547's Arena

Hmm...what difficulty are you playing on? The reason I ask is I keep seeing things about come back code and now I am curious. Is it dependent on difficulty?

I traded my apba team to the Brewers and so far I am 26-1 with most games being blow outs. I play on veteran and I just don't see the computer having any kind of advantage when I get the lead.

The developers have said there isn't any code for it. Why do some people see it while others don't???
Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark547
Hmm...what difficulty are you playing on? The reason I ask is I keep seeing things about come back code and now I am curious. Is it dependent on difficulty?

I traded my apba team to the Brewers and so far I am 26-1 with most games being blow outs. I play on veteran and I just don't see the computer having any kind of advantage when I get the lead.

The developers have said there isn't any code for it. Why do some people see it while others don't???
Not sure, but it's been an issue since (I believe) 2011 or so. I'm at work, but I believe I play on Veteran as well, with sliders adjusted somewhat. I would consider myself to be good at this game, since I've been playing it for ten years. I used to play on Hall of Fame in years past, but (I think) this year I am doing Veteran with sliders adjusted. I may be wrong though. Will have to check when I get home. I also play on the PS3, FYI.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Yah, I hear that, but I can overlook that for all the other benefits of it.

True true. I just wish they would address it. If you're gonna have a minor league system it should get some attention. Although I think I'm in the minority of people who aggressively manage and do the minor league teams.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7

I do this every year about this point when I release my trade deadline roster - never feels right starting off the season with the trades made, like doing the offseason then doing my thing. Also makes it easier to deal with some moves I want to make.

Two ways I deal with drafted players and getting prospects or minor leaguers who aren't on my roster is I edit and create the player over the draftees or use a 2 screen, 2 play station system to copy faces from a different roster that had the missing players I want for the teams over the draftees. For those who know, I usually create a good chunk of the Blue Jays system so I copy those faces over.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Not sure, but it's been an issue since (I believe) 2011 or so. I'm at work, but I believe I play on Veteran as well, with sliders adjusted somewhat. I would consider myself to be good at this game, since I've been playing it for ten years. I used to play on Hall of Fame in years past, but (I think) this year I am doing Veteran with sliders adjusted. I may be wrong though. Will have to check when I get home. I also play on the PS3, FYI.
Correction, I actually play on All Star.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »