Home

Pickoff attempts

This is a discussion on Pickoff attempts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Rookie

VinceJulien14's Arena

OVR: 0
Pickoff attempts

I apologize if this as already been discussed, tried searching for it but nothing came up.
Every time I attempt a pickoff throw, regardless of the type of pickoff move I use, my first baseman will simply catch the ball without ever making an attempt to tag the runner. I feel as if I could've caught a few guys and it's getting a little frustrating.
any one else see this? any fixes? thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Pickoff attempts

if this is you playing against the CPU, then there is literally no point to ever attempt a pickoff, Because the CPU will not expand their lead off. so 99.9% of the time the cpu will always get back to base on a pickoff attempt. im sure the devs know about this and will probably have it fixed in the show 16. but for the show 15, against CPU there is no reason to ever attempt a pickoff unfortunately
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
if this is you playing against the CPU, then there is literally no point to ever attempt a pickoff, Because the CPU will not expand their lead off. so 99.9% of the time the cpu will always get back to base on a pickoff attempt. im sure the devs know about this and will probably have it fixed in the show 16. but for the show 15, against CPU there is no reason to ever attempt a pickoff unfortunately
Actually that is not quite true. Though the chances of actually achieving a pick off are close to zero. Throwing over does have a purpose. It will hold the runner on the base more often preventing a steal attempt. Also make sure you vary your time to the plate with your pitcher as this will also help prevent steal attempts.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I find the slide step very effective in combating the steal this year. I very rarely throw over because of the known issue of launching the ball in the stands.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

As Bullit said, there actually is a point to throwing over. It will help manage the running game. When you throw over, it puts a penalty on the runners ability to get a good jump.

A lot of people complain that launching the ball into the stands is a problem, and it is true that it happens more often than it should, but 99% of your pick offs should be casual (when you double tap the base button). It will still put the penalty on the base runner and you will never throw it away.

Quick and deceptive throws should only ever be used if the runner takes an extra step lead (which the CPU does so rarely that its a non-factor), if there natural lead is overly aggressive and a casual throw over wasn't enough to discourage them, or if you have an exceptional basestealer on first and are looking to really mix up your timing and moves to keep him guessing.

The vast majority of the time if you suspect a steal is coming you should do a casual throw over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
Rookie

VinceJulien14's Arena

I remember pickoff attempts were overly effective in last years game, maybe they over fixed it. hopefully we'll see a better balance in next years game

Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

I concur that a casual throw does serve the purpose of holding the runner, but throwing over solely for trying to pick the runner off is moot as the CPU runner never takes an aggressive lead.

The only thing that gets me is when I try a quick attempt -- specifically to a left-handed first basemen -- it looks like the ball reaches his glove before the runner gets his foot back to the base, and if he were to swing his glove over fast, he'd may be able to get the runner out. With left-handed first basemen, this would be easy.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Rookie

VinceJulien14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd51
I concur that a casual throw does serve the purpose of holding the runner, but throwing over solely for trying to pick the runner off is moot as the CPU runner never takes an aggressive lead.

The only thing that gets me is when I try a quick attempt -- specifically to a left-handed first basemen -- it looks like the ball reaches his glove before the runner gets his foot back to the base, and if he were to swing his glove over fast, he'd may be able to get the runner out. With left-handed first basemen, this would be easy.

agreed, that's why I'm getting so frustrated. I could've picked off a few guys

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »