Home

How to Improve Hitting

This is a discussion on How to Improve Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: How to Improve Hitting

Sergio Romo throws a no-dot slider, though. They'll have to make sure to incorporate that in there..

Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 09-16-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #18
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

OVR: 0

There's a reason for the expression "sitting dead red" when the hitter is waiting for a fastball. At least make the fastball look reddish.

Last edited by Jv160; 09-17-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #19
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

That's not a bad idea. I couldn't stand that blinking red/blue/green thing from that other game. If they just added a pink hue to fastballs and took away the seams on change-ups so they look all white, that should do it and would be feasible to what Ramone said that they tried earlier.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
Rookie

FindingTim's Arena

OVR: 4

a purely "timing" mechanism would most accurately mirror real baseball.
As the old saying literally says, "hitting is timing...(pitching is upsetting the timing)"

unfortunately this years timing mode is off. You can be hitting with Barry Bonds, have a green light on a 3-0 fastball, promptly get said fastball at 91 mph right down the middle, and pop it up or foul it off more times than you will square it up. It's extremely frustrating. Playing on lower levels helps with this, but then the IQ of your computer opponent drops too.

With this years "Timing" mechanic, the results feel random and linked to some statistical calculation that we cannot see, rather than the result of controller timing.

Zone gives you the most control, but it forces you to guess the location on every pitch-- unless you have godly reflexes. If you have been getting a lot of high fastballs, and respond by leaving your PCI up in the zone, you will then swing and miss if the pitcher throws it right down the pipe. Zone forces you to guess location on every pitch, rather than "see ball, hit ball" like many (most?) baseball players do. Obviously there are circumstances where players are guessing, but if a pitcher grooves a fatty down the middle they can still cream it.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingTim
With this years "Timing" mechanic, the results feel random and linked to some statistical calculation that we cannot see, rather than the result of controller timing.
Timing has always been like that.

The PCI placement is random based around the hitter's ratings for size of the PCI. The placement seems to be completely random (AFAIK, someone correct me if I'm [hopefully] wrong).

That's why you can pop-up/chop fat pitches with Good/Perfect/Normal/whatever they call being right on. The PCI can be far off, causing poor contact.

It's not different to me - just the same as always.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
That's not a bad idea. I couldn't stand that blinking red/blue/green thing from that other game. If they just added a pink hue to fastballs and took away the seams on change-ups so they look all white, that should do it and would be feasible to what Ramone said that they tried earlier.

I'm fine with that - the colors aren't what I like about MVP's system, it's the fact I have SOMETHING to potentially key on to help pitch ID, just like real hitters.

Forget the rainbow baseballs - the concept is the important thing. Your idea would be aces in my book just as much.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #23
Rookie

Jv160's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
That was the main reason for posting the picture. To help hitters distinguished a changeup from a fastball.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:18 AM   #24
Rookie

I think there should be a camera that actually represents what a hitter sees in real life. The zone hitting mechanic just doesnt seem realistic. Pure Analog and Directional are good ideas/concepts but executed poorly. You can be RIGHT on a pitch and pop it up. I understand why it does that, but there has to be a better input for next year. I really like the directional input...but something is extremely off with the timing or whatever you want to call it. If you could clean that up ..maybe it could work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »