Home

Good timing = foul ball

This is a discussion on Good timing = foul ball within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Good timing = foul ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatArmy
OP here.

I use timing and have only used timing since MLB09. It is almost without fail that good timing will end up with a foul back. I can hit HRs on contact with early timing, drive to the gaps with late but good largely gets me nothing. Even using the directional, good ends up foul. Push to the right to make a RH go the other way, get the outside pitch, good timing, foul ball.

My drafted team's lineup, second season.
Yelich, Utley, Freeman, Bryant, K. Seager, Springer, Lagares, O'Brien (ARZ catcher prospect in OSFM), Simmons. I'm hitting about .245 as a team, good for 16th overall.

Not default sliders with only timing up to 9 since hitting this year is the hardest I've ever seen.
I used timing for a long time, pretty much up until MLB 12. I stopped using it because I noticed when I was looking as the PCI placement after pitches the my players were swinging nowhere close to the ball, even on some down the middle pitches.

Ever since then I've used zone, and just left the PCI in the middle 98% of the time, waiting for a pitch to come to me. What a massive improvement that turned out to be.

Basically, when you pick timing, it's like picking guess pitch, except you don't get to guess the cpu does it for you.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 12-18-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
Banned

This is defintely some kind of glitch. I think it just pops up good timing when it really shouldnt and it doesnt have anything to do with your actual timing. I am over 70 games into a franchise playing every game and this happens to me multiple times a game with any given player at bat. I think the whole telling you if you are late good or early sytem is off. There are plenty of times I will be "early" on a pitch but hit it to the opposite field instead of teh pull field. Anyone who knows baseball knows that if you are early on contact you pull the ball.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #19
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Why would anyone expect timing to be the end all be all resulting in a hit or a foul ball anyway? Pitch location has something to do with the outcome, speed, batter, pitcher, etc. Besides, playing timing only is taking so many factors out of it that would alter the placement of a batted ball anyway so you really are handicapping the outcome so much to basically just be foul or fair. I'm not sure what the OP is expecting.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 AM   #20
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I used timing for a long time, pretty much up until MLB 12. I stopped using it because I noticed when I was looking as the PCI placement after pitches the my players were swinging nowhere close to the ball, even on some down the middle pitches.

Ever since then I've used zone, and just left the PCI in the middle 98% of the time, waiting for a pitch to come to me. What a massive improvement that turned out to be.

Basically, when you pick timing, it's like picking guess pitch, except you don't get to guess the cpu does it for you.
This reply was a godsend.

I switched to zone, hid the reticle since it's real distracting, and move it ever so slightly occasionally when I guess a pitch without using guess pitch. Last four games, over 10 hits a game, lotsa gappers, some homers, but decent, solid contact for the first time in 15. Thank you.

Now, if you wouldn't mind healing Andrelton's dislocated ankle that'll keep him shelved for over six months, I'd appreciate it. :s
Old 01-07-2016, 05:08 AM   #21
Rookie

riker147's Arena

Quote:

I switched to zone, hid the reticle since it's real distracting, and move it ever so slightly occasionally when I guess a pitch without using guess pitch. Last four games, over 10 hits a game, lotsa gappers, some homers, but decent, solid contact for the first time in 15. Thank you.

Now, if you wouldn't mind healing Andrelton's dislocated ankle that'll keep him shelved for over six months, I'd appreciate it. :s
Is this working for you with online or offline games? Or both?

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:

Hey no problem, that's what the forums are here for, I'm just glad I could help.

As for Andrelton, I am the wrong person you should talk to. I am the king of injuries, just check out the craziest injury in the show thread.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #23
Rookie

BeatArmy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147
Is this working for you with online or offline games? Or both?

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk.
I only play offline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »