Home

SCEA: Here it is: TWO In-game immersion requests that can take '16 to the next level

This is a discussion on SCEA: Here it is: TWO In-game immersion requests that can take '16 to the next level within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Pro

sandmac's Arena

OVR: 3
SCEA: Here it is: TWO In-game immersion requests that can take '16 to the next level

Been playing this fine title for over decade. Love this game and I'm here to offer improvement suggestions. It's come a long way but here are specific requests straight to the devs for in-game immersion improvement.

PROBLEM #1:
Simple. Time to get the camera optics correct: Accurate depth of field for each camera cutaway.

This is something very few users will identify, but they know when it's wrong and as of now it's still not correct. I will say SCEA has improved this with last year's MLB '15 cutaways (defined as new shots of on-field players from new angles we see - ie: new side angles of batters and pitchers in '15 are very nice and have accurate optics) but it's still not quite there and the inconsistent optics really throws the visuals off. BTW, I lead teams in multimedia project delivery for a living so I know of what I speak here.

The shots that are most of an issue is the pitcher and batter on 2B close ups. As a basic rule, the more in focus or closer you get to the object (in this case -person's face) the further out of focus the background it will be. Any MLB broadcast using any lens would have that background far out of focus as it's often 400 + feet behind the pitcher. In this game the wall/crowd/CF are still in focus and that's very off. See attachments.

SOLUTION to #1: Apply the heavy blur filter to the background visuals behind the players when the camera is simulating a broadcast medium to extreme close up. It will make HUGE difference.

--

PROBLEM #2: Extremely repetitive commentary. Playing game to game, you literally hear the same comments every game just in a different order. Long been an issue and I'm not here to complain I'm here to offer solutions.

SOLUTION #2: Simple. Player specific commentary. NBA 2K's commentary is well regarded as among the industry's finest and most immersive. The reason? They recorded player-specific commentary. In the 2K games, when play slows down (free throws) the commentators exchange a very brief comment on the player shooting. MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. SCEA, please implement this same audio. When you have the boys back in the booth to record updated 2016 comments, give them PLAYER SPECIFIC comments that trigger when that player steps to the plate. ie: Matt: "Harper really had a breakout season in 2015" Steve: "Yeah he was a monster and the good news for fans is he's only tapping his potential..." ...etc. The game doesn't need more of the same updated statements for this year's release, the game needs PLAYER-SPECIFIC commentary to take the immersion to the next level.

--

Thanks for reading. Russell, welcome your thoughts. Please share with the team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 12.01.16 PM.jpg (73.1 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 11.50.26 AM.jpg (131.9 KB, 570 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
MVP

jr86's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: SCEA: Here it is: TWO In-game immersion requests that can take '16 to the next le

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-wishlist.html

And you didn't put this here because.........
Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
Rookie

Belkbuzze's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: SCEA: Here it is: TWO In-game immersion requests that can take '16 to the next le

Good ideas sandmac, dunno how feasible for mlb16 but definitely something that I wish could be looked into for 17.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Banned

Clarke99's Arena

Just for those who forgot, as far as commentary goes, the lead guy who was in charge of it was let go last year and has since been replaced specifically for MLB 16. This could be lip service given to us as SCEA has done from time to time. However I'd hold off judgement until March.
As for those wondering, it was stated during one of the twitch streams last year.

As for not using the wishlist, I get it, some people believe they have a fresh new idea that hasn't been mentioned and want it to have its own thread. These two specific instances have been brought up previously and one like beating a dead horse.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

No Hey Devs threads.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke99
Just for those who forgot, as far as commentary goes, the lead guy who was in charge of it was let go last year and has since been replaced specifically for MLB 16. This could be lip service given to us as SCEA has done from time to time. However I'd hold off judgement until March.
As for those wondering, it was stated during one of the twitch streams last year.
I wouldn't say he was let go, but he has moved on from Sony SDS. He is now at EA.

Although, this is technically a "Hey Dev" thread, he does make a valid point, in regards to broadcast camera DoF. IMO

Sent from my htcONE (M8) | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 01-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Commentary will be repetitive no matter what. I don't see any solution to this in sports games to be honest.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #8
Banned

Clarke99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Commentary will be repetitive no matter what. I don't see any solution to this in sports games to be honest.
To an extent sure, but 2k has shown it can be few and far between when it comes to repititiveness even in the last few intallments of 2k baseball with gary thorne and john kruk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »