Home

MLB The Show 16: Gameplay Taking Steps Forward

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16: Gameplay Taking Steps Forward within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM   #41
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 16: Gameplay Taking Steps Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomy88
Can anyone tell me if they are bringing over the ball physics improvements from mlb 15 to mlb 16, i really liked that there were more doubles/triples in mlb 15. I really hope they don't change too much batting wise from mlb 15, anyone agree??
Or anyone think it could be even better????

we should be seeing more doubles and triples in 16 since they have reworked the way outfielders take routes to the ball in a even more realistic way than in the past years, for what we have been told.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmc564
we should be seeing more doubles and triples in 16 since they have reworked the way outfielders take routes to the ball in a even more realistic way than in the past years, for what we have been told.
yes i heard this, it will definetly create more variety of hits, i'm all for realism variety of single, doubles, triples and HRs. But feel mlb 15 had it down decently
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Not that I really know exactly how things will change with the new precision input engine given that I haven't tried the final implementation, but my concern with making accuracy more easily attainable (without correspondingly making harder for the gamer to be accurate to begin with) is exactly how this may affect the dynamics of walks.

It is my opinion that The Show has been the only baseball video game in which walks can naturally occur (as opposed to most other games in which walks almost never occur and/or only happen in rather contrived ways), and even then when you actually control pitching, the game has been rather unfriendly to walks (and hit-by-pitch, which almost never occur).

I think there are a couple factors as to why this is so, but one major reason has been that user input for pitching in the game allows still much higher accuracy than what real-life pitchers are able to achieve. If you know that you can always throw one in the strike zone somewhere, any time in the game, then the only time you issue walks would be when you actually do not mind issuing one. So in video games where walks do not naturally happen, typical pitch location chart looks like this:

where the variation of pitch location fluctuates only a little bit away from the intended target. In an arcade video game like this, walks are mostly not part of the game.

A real-life pitch location chart looks more like this

The Show simulates the pitch location scatter of real-life baseball reasonably well

but I don't know if this continues to be the case.

Making the outcome of user input more "deterministic" does not necessarily need to translate to the kind of results we see in the arcade game above, but I think input interface needs to be made a lot harder to hit exactly the timing/location a gamer wants, in order to simulate how difficult for real-life pitchers to hit the spot they want.

No offence nomo but you are comparing apples with oranges here!!

As a regular player of PYS I actually find it easier to draw walks on it than I do on MLB The Show.

I'm not sure what setting you were playing on or what pitcher you were using but that graphic looks nothing like the ones I see. The fact there were seemingly no balls thrown means you were either playing on too easy a level or you were playing with the pitch cursor on which means the cpu will throw virtually no balls - probably the latter seeing as there were only 68 pitches thrown!!

Here's a couple of pics from a game I just played with the overall total pitches and just the starter's pitches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg total.jpg (90.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg starter.jpg (91.2 KB, 215 views)
Old 02-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #44
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
No offence nomo but you are comparing apples with oranges here!!

As a regular player of PYS I actually find it easier to draw walks on it than I do on MLB The Show.

I'm not sure what setting you were playing on or what pitcher you were using but that graphic looks nothing like the ones I see. The fact there were seemingly no balls thrown means you were either playing on too easy a level or you were playing with the pitch cursor on which means the cpu will throw virtually no balls - probably the latter seeing as there were only 68 pitches thrown!!

Here's a couple of pics from a game I just played with the overall total pitches and just the starter's pitches.

I didn't actually mean to specifically point to PYS, as I didn't want to turn discussions into comparison between specific games (which I believe isn't welcomed in subforums), and I merely wanted to point out that in most baseball video games pitchers are way more accurate than real-life pitchers are. I don't have a PS3 running so I didn't pull that image from my own game. I could've played Super Mega Baseball myself but I don't think that game shows pitch location chart...

I would still say that your pitch location charts from PYS indicate that in-game pitchers are throwing strikes way more easily compared to real-life pitchers. The MLB average for pitched thrown inside the strike zone is about 45 - 46%, whereas the charts indicates about 64 - 67% were strikes.

Also, most pitches, even if they were balls, are still close to the edge of the strike zone, and those were typically aimed at the black by the gamer or CPU. If desired, one can choose to simply lay one closer to the center of the strike zone, just to avoid walks all game.

Real-life pitchers cannot consistently do that all the time, even if they aim down the middle; otherwise you would never see them walk opposing pitchers.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Our data comes directly from they MLB they have best camera's and technology of any of the pitch FX tracking mechanisms. We also cross reference it wother another source. The data we get is 98% accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
"Overview
Pitching is part art and part science. Pitching analysis is no different. At Brooks Baseball, we strive to present the most complete, accurate, and comprehensive dataset about pitching available on the web. To do that, we start with the PITCHf/x dataset, a public resource made available by MLBAM and Sportvision, and make systematic changes that improve the quality, usefulness, and useability of that data.

Pitch Classifications by Pitch Info
The PITCHf/x data downloaded from MLBAM contains a set of pitch classifications determined by an automated, real-time, neural network algorithm. While this has the advantage of providing very fast labels that can inform broadcasts and products such as MLB Gameday, such automated classifiers have difficulty with certain repertoires and pitch types.

The Pitch Classifications used by Brooks Baseball are manually reviewed by Pitch Info using several parameters of each pitch's trajectory and double-checked against several other sources, such as video evidence (e.g., pitcher grip and catcher signs) and direct communication with on-field personnel (e.g., pitching coaches, catchers, and the pitchers themselves).

Realistic Trajectory Data
Because the PITCHf/x dataset provides the details of each pitch's trajectory, we can slightly alter the default values to align better with reality than what is commonly reported. For example, we slightly shift our reported values back to a release distance of 55' - which more closely reflects the actual release distance of most pitchers - so that release points are more tightly clustered and velocities are slightly increased. We also provide options to visualize pitch movement with gravity added back into the equation or with the effects of air drag removed."

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/about.php
Of course, you would not name that 98 percent accurate source? I'd be very suspicious of any source claiming 98 percent accuracy--I mean, how would they know it's 98 percent, compared to what? Looking at what brooksbaseball has to say about MLB Gameday is interesting to say the least.

Kershaw's slider does not have more horizontal movement than that of Carlos Martinez--just compare horizontal movement. But, are your movement ratings based on reality, or just made to make pitchers harder to hit?

Kershaw has in the game an arm accuracy rating of 32, yes, thirty two. Is that because he walks lots of batters? Or maybe because he gives up lots of home runs? or maybe something else? I'm lost, I've no idea why he has 32 and King Felix something like 76.

Jose Fernandez has never thrown a slider according to brooksbaseball, and their methodology is shown on website. There is a choice, and the choice is yours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM   #46
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
There is a choice, and the choice is yours.
yeah, cause with less than 6 weeks before the game's release, Ramone has nothing better to do than come onto OS forums and explain in detail for one particular user (you) every decision made about how they come up with their pitcher ratings for a video game. A game. GAME.

Relax man, don't take it so personally. I'm sure by throwing out an ultimatum like "There is a choice, and the choice is yours" - that's really going to motivate someone from the dev team to come on here an argue with you...
Old 02-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #47
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

One man's sinker is another man's 2seamer. Same with the splitter & fork or curve & slurve. Or slurve & slider. I doubt there will ever be a day that there is 100% consensus on what every pitcher throws.
#44Syracuse
Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 10

Its getting heated in here. Let's all just relax!!! You can't expect MLB the Show to be perfect with everything every time!! I grew up with Intellivision baseball, and at that time I was appreciative of that game. Now you have developers probing through stats, simulating player mo cap, sounds in specific stadiums, making sure uniforms are accurate etc....Let's appreciate what we have and not nitpick about little tidbits here and there. I'm sure the devs work hard day in and out to satisfy not only the casual gamer but the die-hards and every year folks are moaning and groaning many times about little issues (I understand that sometimes concerns are valid resulting in patches and updates). It gets to the point when the game is out foronly a week, someone is already posting a wish list for next year.... Listen, we are all fortunate to live in a society where we have the luxury to "escape" into this unreal video experience. Appreciate it!!! Cause the realities of the world order or lack there of can interrupt us at any point going forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »