Home

Retired Numbers In The Future

This is a discussion on Retired Numbers In The Future within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Retired Numbers In The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrellevator
I'm surprised stuff like this never gets brought up. It seems to me like it would be a simple switch that tends to get overlooked all of the time, but I may be wrong.

It seems strange, at least to me, that when someone retires from your team after a long time, you don't at least have the option of retiring that person's number. If I played a franchise in year's past, it always irked me to see someone wearing #2 on the Yankees after Jeter retired, or someone wearing #10 on the Braves after Chipper retired. It just felt like something that could easily be prevented.

I remember NBA Live '02 or '03 used to give you the option to retire anyone's number once they retired from your team, but haven't seen that feature anywhere else since. Is this just something that gets overlooked by every game because they don't think about it? Or is it something that they literally can't program into years in the future?
I'm a numbers junkie and always lost my mind when someone donned #23 for the Cubs or #3 for the Yankees. I was extremely happy when SCEA started implementing retired numbers. And I'm with you to some degree but honestly, it's kind of a mute point if you're in franchise mode. Just change the player's number and don't let them wear it.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 02-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I'm a numbers junkie and always lost my mind when someone donned #23 for the Cubs or #3 for the Yankees. I was extremely happy when SCEA started implementing retired numbers. And I'm with you to some degree but honestly, it's kind of a mute point if you're in franchise mode. Just change the player's number and don't let them wear it.
You're right... I mostly just wonder if it's ever even been brought up. That's why I mentioned it.. It seems like one of those little things that never gets talked about that may or may not be an easy fix. If they could add a portion of the franchise mode in which someone gets honored or they mention it on inside the show, then so be it, but mostly just having a team page with retired numbers and their stats and whatnot would be a pretty solid addition if possible
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM   #11
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I've always wanted dynamic, and responsive additions to stadiums, teams, etc. in franchise mode. Especially in hockey games. I would love to see banners being raised to the rafters and have them actually stay, real-time in the game. Same thing for stadiums. With the Cubs it would be awesome to see another flag on top of a foul pole, or if you're running a franchise that has the numbers on the wall, they could add any retired number you put on there.

It would be great if we had control over things like that, including advertisements around the stadium. The over abundance of "The Show" advertisements are a little ridiculous. It would be awesome if we could create our own ads using the same feature that we use to create logos in diamond dynasty. Just wishful thinking I'm sure, as I don't imagine these things will ever actually get into the game.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #12
Rookie

HarlemYankee's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't know man... The fact tha 2k trail blazed that whole relocation/create a stadium/logo/ad situation gives me hope.

I've always felt as though dynamic championship banners and retired numbers shouldn't be out of the question, I just feel like it's something that never gets brought up
Old 02-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #13
Rookie

Kalkano's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've always wanted dynamic, and responsive additions to stadiums, teams, etc. in franchise mode. Especially in hockey games. I would love to see banners being raised to the rafters and have them actually stay, real-time in the game. Same thing for stadiums. With the Cubs it would be awesome to see another flag on top of a foul pole, or if you're running a franchise that has the numbers on the wall, they could add any retired number you put on there.

It would be great if we had control over things like that, including advertisements around the stadium. The over abundance of "The Show" advertisements are a little ridiculous. It would be awesome if we could create our own ads using the same feature that we use to create logos in diamond dynasty. Just wishful thinking I'm sure, as I don't imagine these things will ever actually get into the game.

Me too. From a programming standpoint, actually retiring numbers is easy to do. You'd just have to limit the number of retired numbers to 55, leaving 40 potential numbers (for when rosters expand in September). Actually, you might need more than that, because of coaches. But, the point is, you just need a limit.

The REALLY hard part is actually displaying those numbers in the stadium. Where do you put them? What if you run out of room?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »