Home

MiLB License

This is a discussion on MiLB License within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Rookie

Goose158's Arena

OVR: 4
MiLB License

I was reading the announcement on OS for the new OOTP. I am not familiar with the game itself however I see that they have the MILB license and they will have ratings and players down to the rookie leagues. My question becomes if they are able to obtain the MILB license for players, is this something that has ever been discussed with Sony attempting to obtain the license as well. I cant imagine that if a smaller company is able to obtain that then why couldn't Sony. Just curious as I don't know how that works and I have never seen any discussion on the forums about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52
re: MiLB License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose158
I was reading the announcement on OS for the new OOTP. I am not familiar with the game itself however I see that they have the MILB license and they will have ratings and players down to the rookie leagues. My question becomes if they are able to obtain the MILB license for players, is this something that has ever been discussed with Sony attempting to obtain the license as well. I cant imagine that if a smaller company is able to obtain that then why couldn't Sony. Just curious as I don't know how that works and I have never seen any discussion on the forums about it.
The only thing with the MILB license is the teams and stadiums...not the players.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Rookie

Goose158's Arena

OVR: 4

Kinda misleading I guess because it says ratings for over 2000 minor league players according to Zips projections.

"All MLB (and more than 2,000 MiLB) player ratings are based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski. The remaining minor league players are rated manually by OOTP's established research team"
Old 02-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Text based d games like OOTP don't have the same kind of rules SCEA has to follow. In order for SCEA to get real minor league players in the show they'd have to pay all 2,500 minor league player individually for their likeness/rights.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Your Go-to TV Expert

Scott's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Kinda misleading I guess because it says ratings for over 2000 minor league players according to Zips projections.

"All MLB (and more than 2,000 MiLB) player ratings are based on ZiPS, the projection system created by well-known baseball writer and SABR member Dan Szymborski. The remaining minor league players are rated manually by OOTP's established research team"
I think the minor leaguers already in the game, are ones with MLB service time and are on the 40 man...I mean if each team has 15, thats 450 players right there....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Well also take into account a couple of things.

OOTP takes every minor league into account. Ie: Fal Balll, pro league's, summer league, low A ball etc. So the player count adds up quick.

They also have an entirely different type of contract than what Sony has.They are only after players and a likeness. The Mlb licence is for teams, logos and uniforms. Sony has to have the stadiums, physical likeness and other things on top of everything else.

I truly don't believe the MLB or MILB would charge OOTP anywhere near what they charge Sony for the rights. Though they are both Baseball games. They really are two very different creations.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:

Wouldn't this be along the same lines as NCAA using ratings/likeness but no names...?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

What is interesting is that OOTP has the license to MiLB stats so they can like the minor stats to the MLB players' career.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...much-more.html

Quote:
...OOTP 17 makes a huge leap forward...with accurate historical minor leagues from 1919 through 2015. Now when a player starts a league in the past, his team will have the accurate minor league affiliates, including rosters full of real players, thanks to a new database containing over 100,000 MiLB players.

As the historical seasons pass by, the minor leagues evolve as they did in real life, with teams moving cities, changing their names, and switching MLB affiliations. For example, the Sacramento River Cats began in 1978 as the Oakland A’s Triple-A affiliate, switched to several other teams (including a second stint with Oakland) between 1979 and 2014, and became the San Francisco Giants Triple-A affiliate in 2015. Those changes will now be accurately represented in OOTP.
What a cool feature that is and would be for The Show.

I haven't used OOTP before and it seems like this is solely specific to when a user decides to start a league in a past season but it would be really cool if CURRENT MLB players got their MiLB stats linked from this database.

I don't think, as has been mentioned, that we'd be able to get MiLB players until they form a union. But the fact we could pull in stats from previous MiLB seasons would be awesome and make the franchise/stat tracking much more inclusive.

This is in an Utopian world but...very interesting, indeed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »