Home

MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #49
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 16 Video - Franchise, Player Morale and Much More

I find it funny that people want more depth and more features. Ex: Owner mode, ticker prices, promotions, morale, personalities etc.. yet when something as simple as morale is introduced which is in most sports games some people say they want to turn it off.

As you can see its not drastic and even though Paxton wasn't playing near home he was still "Satisfied" and had no overall change. I assume it'll be the same regarding region. Yes Edwin might he happier with another player from the DR but he's still happy.

I think if there are probably 3 or more categories that the player is displeased in you'll see OVR shift. It's not drastic. And for those that just want to sign players, trade players and play. Well franchise will never be able to advance if you want that simplicity.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #50
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

To add onto that as others have said it makes franchise more dynamic. Gives players personality makes them feel real instead of just numbers.

It seems like winning matters most to a players morale. Maybe an older player takes a lesser contract/role to play for a manager with a winning ball club. There's so much here that I think it's great.

Maybe a guy like Kris Bryant wins MVP and is still getting an Arbitration contract and he wants a big deal. So maybe he's unhappy with his contract but very happy with Manager and being on a wining team. There's so much at play that there's endless possibilities.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #51
MVP

Godgers12's Arena

OVR: 0
Nice, they added every year of a players career on their cards, but did they add sortable career and season stats?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #52
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
I find it funny that people want more depth and more features. Ex: Owner mode, ticker prices, promotions, morale, personalities etc.. yet when something as simple as morale is introduced which is in most sports games some people say they want to turn it off.

As you can see its not drastic and even though Paxton wasn't playing near home he was still "Satisfied" and had no overall change. I assume it'll be the same regarding region. Yes Edwin might he happier with another player from the DR but he's still happy.

I think if there are probably 3 or more categories that the player is displeased in you'll see OVR shift. It's not drastic. And for those that just want to sign players, trade players and play. Well franchise will never be able to advance if you want that simplicity.
The problem is when they add depth without fully fleshing it out/considering it fully, we get an inferior scouting system that is almost universally panned. Everyone complains about the draft-generated players looking odd, the generated players don't necessarily 'fit in' ratings-wise with the league and long-term shifts in league stats happen, and the system is too easy to game, your scouts don't really matter, there's no depth at all to the players, no signability/agent/injury considerations, and there are fatal flaws like being able to see 100% accurate ratings without scouting at all...etc etc..

I think everyone wants "more stuff to do" and "more stuff to consider" in franchise mode. But, we don't want new things for the sake of them being able to include just another "back of the box" line item. A player morale system, such as what's been in NBA2K for a while now, is a welcome change. But, the issue I have with such a morale system is that attributes/ratings should not be affected by happiness and comfort level. It is arcade-ish and unrealistic for a guy to go from a 30-HR to a 40-HR guy because he's playing home games within XX miles of home or for a pitcher to potentially add velocity because there's another Canadian on his team. There needs to be a consequence/effect for us to pay attention to morale, but the effect needs to be more subtle and plausibly realistic.

These morale issues affecting signability (and even other things) is fine, but I don't think they should go there with ratings.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Umm, Ramone, if you're reading this can I vote against this idea? Pausing the game to make a managerial decision is just fine, and if you map that stuff to the D-pad, I am going to hit it by accident and mess up my games ALL THE TIME. That may be an exaggeration but once would still be too many times. Quick shifts, timeouts, and utility pls, no insta subs.
How would you mess your game up by accidentally pressing the D pad? Besides they could always make the button layout optional like they do every other option in the game. Just a suggestion to speed the game up. Don't be so dramatic.

Last edited by JKSportsGamer1984; 02-20-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #54
Pro

OVR: 5

Really hope more was done to stat tracking besides just adding career stats to the player card. While that is certainly great, it will be really underwhelming if that's all that was done.

For example, you still can't view team stats as of last year's version. You can only view team rankings for ~20 categories, which is a very cumbersome way to go about getting information you might want and a very underwhelming data set to have available.

I would expect to see fully fleshed-out and sortable team statistics. In addition, I'd like to see more filtering options for splits when viewing sortable stats (would be nice on the player card as well). Such as viewing splits by month or pre/post all star break.

I would also expect to see sortable league leaders.

The data is there, the presentation is just significantly lacking and we need to be given the ability to mine the data more. This is arguably more important for a baseball game than any other sports game.

To take it a step further, it'd be great to see a game log on the player card, where you can see statistics by each game a player has played in.

All of the features listed above are in NBA 2k16, for example, so it's definitely feasible.

I hope these things were addressed to some degree and weren't simply left untouched.

Last edited by Drew127; 02-20-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #55
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm really looking forward to see how these features are implemented. These are all things I've been begging for years for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #56
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
Different people say different things. The people who wanted more depth and more features are probably not the same ones asking to turn this new feature off. As someone who asks for more off-the-field stuff in franchise, player morale is awesome to have.

My guess is that if a player is unhappy in one or two things, it won't matter much. And at the end of the day, SCEA has tweaked the gameplay so that user input matters more.

I don't like having control of everything in franchise. If a player does not gel with my team, I like that I'm encouraged to find someone who does. It helps with the role-playing aspect.

For example, that compatriot thing. I don't know if that's realistic or not, but let's say the my head cannon is that my organization does not support international players well, which would mean that international players would be less likely to want to sign with my team. It makes sense to me.

Maybe in the future they could start looking at metropolitan areas as your market, complete with fan demographics. If my franchise team is the Dodgers, you better have some star Hispanic players on your team or fan interest won't be as high. Okay, they probably won't go that far, but getting back to ticket revenues and combining it with fan interest would be interesting.

Last edited by Spokker; 02-20-2016 at 04:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »