Home

MLB Pitchers & Styles "Who Throws What"....NovNovice fan needs help

This is a discussion on MLB Pitchers & Styles "Who Throws What"....NovNovice fan needs help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB Pitchers & Styles "Who Throws What"....NovNovice fan needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00p1
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/insta...r-is-a-cutter/

“I call it a cutter but I feel like it’s in between the two — I think people call it different things because I change speeds with it,” he said. “But I throw it the same.”

Not exactly a cutter, not exactly a slider.
That is from 2014. This is from 2016 during what looks like an interview and he calls it a cutter: http://m.giants.mlb.com/news/article/166725124
Note that is from a Giants MLB news article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 5

Yes, that is why his quote says "I CALL IT A CUTTER", but then goes on to clarify. He throws it at different speeds. Sometimes he throws it with more break, sometimes he throws it slower.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Yes, that is why his quote says "I CALL IT A CUTTER", but then goes on to clarify. He throws it at different speeds. Sometimes he throws it with more break, sometimes he throws it slower.
Did you even read that link I posted for you? That is from this spring of 2016. He does not say anything other than call it a cutter. What would different speeds prove? Pitchers throw 4-seam fastballs at different speeds.

The link I posted also includes a video interview with Bumgarner from this spring 2016.

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- An unruffled Madison Bumgarner complained Tuesday night that he has not gained command of one of his most effective deliveries, his cut fastball.
The Giants ace worked three innings and surrendered three runs, all in the first inning, in a 16-7 Cactus League triumph over the Cincinati Reds.

"Something just doesn't feel quite right coming out of my hand," Bumgarner said. The left-hander calmly added, "We've got time to get it going."

• Spring Training: Schedule | Tickets | Information

Typically, Bumgarner's cutter comes easily to him.

"Not this year, so far," he said.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #28
Pro

OVR: 5

You're right, I haven't found a quote where he says "my cutter/slider thingy".

Here's his personal catcher describing it:

Is it a cutter or a slider?

"It just depends," Bumgarner's catcher, Buster Posey, said of the cutter/slider after Game 1. "He throws it a couple of different ways, so it goes both ways."

Last edited by p00p1; 03-28-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #29
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

There are always pitchers who like to play with their release point, grip, and effort to make one pitch act like multiple pitches. Derek Lowe loved to try to get more horizontal movement on his sinker to freeze LHH with inside strikes on the black. Pedro's curve could get awfully slurve/slider-like when he got low with his release point. Neither player considered it a different pitch.

Games don't account for that. The Show assumes each pitcher is throwing every pitch the same as the last (though the meter does allow for a little play in velocity and how pitches behave differently on misses). I've always found the best thing to do is either stick with what the pitcher generally tries to throw or split the pitch into two pitches if the variation is thrown enough. You run into issues with cutter vs slider since cutter work high in the zone and sliders need to be below the belt to stay effective.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
There are always pitchers who like to play with their release point, grip, and effort to make one pitch act like multiple pitches. Derek Lowe loved to try to get more horizontal movement on his sinker to freeze LHH with inside strikes on the black. Pedro's curve could get awfully slurve/slider-like when he got low with his release point. Neither player considered it a different pitch.

Games don't account for that. The Show assumes each pitcher is throwing every pitch the same as the last (though the meter does allow for a little play in velocity and how pitches behave differently on misses). I've always found the best thing to do is either stick with what the pitcher generally tries to throw or split the pitch into two pitches if the variation is thrown enough. You run into issues with cutter vs slider since cutter work high in the zone and sliders need to be below the belt to stay effective.
Well, Bumgarner has said he throws it the same, and I believe he means the grip. Thus, I believe that is why brooksbaseball classifies it as a cutter. Now I do edit pitchers in this game to reflect what they throw in real baseball--according to brooksbaseball. I have to admit to taking some liberties here and there, but that is just to help my cataracts and floaters
Old 03-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
You're right, I haven't found a quote where he says "my cutter/slider thingy".

Here's his personal catcher describing it:

Is it a cutter or a slider?

"It just depends," Bumgarner's catcher, Buster Posey, said of the cutter/slider after Game 1. "He throws it a couple of different ways, so it goes both ways."
Listen, I believe what the pitcher calls it. Why? Because he knows what kind of grip he uses. The cutter and slider use different grips. Who knows better, the catcher or the pitcher? Bumgarner calls it a cutter--that's what he said in the interview this month.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #32

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Why are we even arguing about this?

Let's get the thread back to the original topic. This debate will only result in the thread being closed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »