Home

Fielding meter

This is a discussion on Fielding meter within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Fielding meter

For the fielding meter underfoot (the blue arrows) does charging it higher increase error odds as well as increase power? Meaning on routine infield plays where you have time should you NOT charge it all the way to reduce the risk of error and only use it when you need full power?

Also, is there such thing as going past the full blue arrows? Meaning would you want to let go as soon as all the arrows are full or is full just full regardless if you continue to hold it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Fielding meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66
For the fielding meter underfoot (the blue arrows) does charging it higher increase error odds as well as increase power? Meaning on routine infield plays where you have time should you NOT charge it all the way to reduce the risk of error and only use it when you need full power?
Yes, 3 arrows seems to be a "normal" throw, whereas letting it go to 4 or 5 significantly increases the chances of an error. Think of it as a throw strength meter. The harder you try to throw the ball, the more likely it becomes that the throw is offline/errant.

Quote:
Also, is there such thing as going past the full blue arrows? Meaning would you want to let go as soon as all the arrows are full or is full just full regardless if you continue to hold it?
I am not 100% sure about this but I believe it just restarts. In other words, if you hold it past 5 arrows, it will start over again at one arrow.

Hope this helps.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Pro

stevostl's Arena

OVR: 0

yeah I screwed up my fielding settings and I need to know what default is if anyone could tell me. thanks

I switched to button accuracy and also tried pure analog and switched a couple of things but now I want it all back to default and not sure what is the default settings

can someone tell me what it is for throwing default..

I know buttons is default

but as far as the meter options.. is it meter on and difficulty set to rookie?

Thanks
Old 04-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66

Max throw strength (full meter) is an ingredient towards a potential throwing error. Player attributes, momentum, angle to the ball and your branch point together also contribute to the end result.

With that said I don't like the design change at all. It is seriously out of scale with everything. Also, at times I find it not pointing in the correct direction to where I am throwing the ball, not sure why it is doing that. Personally I liked it better directly under the player but I see why the change because it is easier to regulate throw strength. If anything I would rather see it radiate out, where the player was in the center of it.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

I use button accuracy with "no meter" loving it because you end up focusing on the animation vs. the meter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Fielding meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Max throw strength (full meter) is an ingredient towards a potential throwing error. Player attributes, momentum, angle to the ball and your branch point together also contribute to the end result.

With that said I don't like the design change at all. It is seriously out of scale with everything. Also, at times I find it not pointing in the correct direction to where I am throwing the ball, not sure why it is doing that. Personally I liked it better directly under the player but I see why the change because it is easier to regulate throw strength. If anything I would rather see it radiate out, where the player was in the center of it.

The new design is an attempt to unify the meters into a single interface while trying to get a sleeker, updated look. There was a lot of back and forth internally, and this is just the first iteration.

As far as the direction of the chevrons, I am afraid that it was not clearly explained anywhere. So, here it is:

Originally, the player marker was always aligned with the camera meaning "down" or home was toward the camera, wherever it may be during a play, for all meters. This is only true for the analog meter now since the stick movements are still fixed with home plate being down. The button interfaces now have the power chevrons point to the base you are targeting. The reasoning being that it will give the player a better feel as to where the ball will be going relative to the fielder's current position regardless of the camera's position/angle.

As I said, this is an initial iteration which we will be looking to refine the mechanics as well as the look. Feedback is always appreciated.

Hope everyone is having fun with this year's offering.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 04-01-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

The fielders this year have a much better sense of urgency on plays that you expect. Thanks for the awesome fielding.

One question: I assume rating impact how well/poor fielders lock on to the catch area.. correct? If so, which rating impacts that?

Last edited by RunN1st; 04-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunN1st
The fielders this year have a much better sense of urgency on plays that you expect. Thanks for the awesome fielding.

One question: I assume rating impact how well/poor fielders lock on to the catch area.. correct? If so, which rating impacts that?

What do you mean by "lock on to the catch area"? Are you referring to a fielder attempting to catch a fly ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »