Home

Fielding issues

This is a discussion on Fielding issues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Rookie

griffy20's Arena

OVR: 0
Fielding issues

Why is catching line drives in the outfield so difficult this year? There seems to be a disconnect between timing and animations that make it so when you go to catch the ball in the outfield, the outfielder will miss the ball entirely a lot of times.

Simply put the fielding in this game is terrible right now. I'm committing 2-3 errors a game (minimum) just from missing line drives into the outfield.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: Fielding issues

Funny I'm having the exact opposite experience. I'm finding fielding amazing this year, and diving is just as effective for the player as the CPU (whereas in the past the cpu would almost always catch the ball on a dive and the player almost never would).

The only issue I'm having is with robbing home runs. I'm doing what I did in 15 but that's not activating the "scaling the wall" animation. Instead my player is doing a lame little jump as if he were out in open field, except it's awkwardly against the wall. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's true that there is even more subtlety to fielding this year than in years past. The show has always been a bit more complicated in the field than it lets on, and this year it's even more true. I could write up a guide to fielding if you want it's one of the aspects of the game I excel at.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #3
Rookie

I'm not seeing that at all. It could also be the new ratings they put into play that they mentioned on one of the streams. If you have bad fielders they will make mistakes regardless of your input I believe. obviously not all the time but still a good way to have a more realistic fielding system in place
Old 04-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
MVP

Ed_Farias's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffy20
Why is catching line drives in the outfield so difficult this year? There seems to be a disconnect between timing and animations that make it so when you go to catch the ball in the outfield, the outfielder will miss the ball entirely a lot of times.

Simply put the fielding in this game is terrible right now. I'm committing 2-3 errors a game (minimum) just from missing line drives into the outfield.
I have had it happen a few times as well, always on hard hit line drives where the animation doesn't really have time to catch up. I try to be really careful in those situations now, but on a whole I really love the fielding this year.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I think it is just a matter of fielding being different this year. I am sure many were accustomed to how it has played in the past. Overall I think fielding is fantastic this year, everything is coming together nicely.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Pro

I play player lock SS in franchise so far I have experienced my fielder getting close to the ball and not putting a glove out to go down for the grab and the ball will just role by even though I was in position.

Manual Catch was removed this year along with R2 for the dive button. R2 is listed in the options menu for diving though. I had to turn on one button for dive and jump witch I never liked felt separate buttons was more effective.

Unfortunately catching is automatic in MLB 16 so I'm thinking the reason my fielder does not go down for the ball in certain situations is because of his ratings maybe.

Using R1 to jump and dive is way harder to get to VS R2. I think the Showtime R1 game mechanic messed up a lot of things this year. It still happenes even when I turn it off! Which was the first thing I did.

Supposedly they are supposed to collect data on how many people turn off Showtime. If this is true those numbers will be inaccurate.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »