Home

Starting Pitcher to Relief Pitcher

This is a discussion on Starting Pitcher to Relief Pitcher within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #17
Pro

Figment's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Starting Pitcher to Relief Pitcher

If I plan on moving a starter into a reliever permanently I will lower their stamina by 30 points which will usually give them a stamina in the 40's or 50's, and then distribute those 30 points across the pitch stats evenly, so if the pitcher has 5 pitches, I will raise the Velocity, Control and Break of each pitch by 2, if they only have 3 pitches I will increase each pitch rating by 3, and put the remaining 3 points back in to stamina. This way there are no lost ratings points, and they are adjusted to the pitcher's new position. This generally only results with a peak velocity change of less than a mile per hour.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #18
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Ok, here's my attempt at a template for calculating these changes: Starter to Reliever Change Google Doc

I think it's read only right now, people should be able to download it still. I can always make an editable version as well.

Here's how it works:

1) Enter player's current stats for IP/H/HR/K/BB in current section (Row 3, Columns F-J)
2) The sheet will calculate current BABIP, K/PA, and HR rate in Column J.
3) Sheet will also calculate targeted values for BABIP, K/PA, and HR rate in Column K.
4) In the new section (Row 3, Columns L-P), copy over the pitcher's starting stats. Then change H, HR, and K until new values for BABIP, K/PA, and HR rate match targeted values.
5) The spreadsheet calculates the /9 values based on the new stats.
6) Find corresponding stats in ratings table below and those should be new in-game ratings for H/9, K/9, and HR/9.

Please feel free to offer feedback, would love for someone to take a look at the calculations I'm using to see if they seem logical.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Nice - I would suggest getting HR and K to match the targets first before altering H. HR and K alter the BABIP significantly so getting those to (or close to) target first I think is a good idea.

In any case, I know what I'm doing with Tyler Kolek in my carryover.

He's becoming a closer. Ran this on him with estimated numbers based on what he's doing in AAA now and he came out nice. I'll probably lower the resulting H/9 a bit (his K/9 is just about maxed already) but, yeah, welcome to your new role, slow-growing Tyler Kolek.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »