Home

Trading for prospects in Franchise

This is a discussion on Trading for prospects in Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Trading for prospects in Franchise

So I'm playing as the Giants and I love my MLB roster but can't help but notice the farm team lacks prospects with high potential. This is a concern for me because a lot of the veteran starters are in their final year of contract.

I managed to make one trade involving a few players that I didn't care for and weren't performing well for an A potential prospect to develop in the farm system..but now I've been shopping around some other players and can't get any more A potential prospects, is there a way you guys do it that I'm not privy to? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Trading for prospects in Franchise

I usually aim young as possible, you won't get a 70 rated A prospect whose going to be on the AAA-MLB cusp for cheap, but you can get nice A/B prospects who are 50-60 for pretty reasonable deals. For example, in my Jays franchise I managed to get a 64 rated 22 year old SP A rating and a C rated 70 reliever for Aaron Loup, then flipped Dickey later in the season and the C reliever for Sam Dyson and another SP B prospect.

You could also just pick some of the aging/expiring UFAs you don't plan on signing and using suggest trade for prospects and just browse what the CPU gives you. Usually there will be 1-2 deals in there that you wouldn't have necessarily found on your own that are net win for you.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Rookie

The suggest trade is an awesome feature, saves a lot of time. I got my A prospect(rafael devers) that way. The suggest trade seems pretty accurate because even if I offer mid 80's B potential players that are old none of the teams will give me better than a 70 ovr B prospect. I like that you have to really work for it.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

The problem is when you play every game, so when you get a 18 year old what are the realistic chances that in 2020 when you have MLB The Show20 you will still have that same team.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
The problem is when you play every game, so when you get a 18 year old what are the realistic chances that in 2020 when you have MLB The Show20 you will still have that same team.

With carryover, it could be 100% assuming the feature survives to MLB20.

Plus, it depends on how fast you play (and how - do you play minors, do you play other franchises/modes, etc). I know I got through 3 seasons in MLB15 before carrying over - my main franchise is in year 7 (started in MLB14, and one of the kids I drafted at 18 is now one of the best pitchers in the game).

So it's possible to see the fruits of your labor, even if you play all games, especially now with carryover being real.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
MVP

TheDutchDad's Arena

OVR: 12

With limited time now, I basically sim a month, and play maybe 1-2 games that month. I like to manage, scout, draft, trade, etc. Just can't dedicate months of time to finish a season. Plus I want to see these young players I get advance.

All in all, I play about 10 games a season, and if I make playoffs, usually play every game, or at least 2 games a series.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #7
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

Oh - it can certainly be done. A typical game for me takes 3 hours with quality time before and after the game, charts, stats, looking at other teams pitchers, looking at trades and so forth including sprint training.

I figure 600 hours a year for one season if I'm really anal about things.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
You just have to come up with a play/sim system. I'm playing 1 or 2 games per series and simming the remainder. My roomate and I played every game of a franchise last year and it took us like 5 months to complete...this time around I want to see players actually develop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »