Home

MLB The Show 16 'What Does It Do'?

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 16 'What Does It Do'? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #9
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: MLB The Show 16 'What Does It Do'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjthisguy21
May I ask what difficulty this is on??
I believe it was All Star or Hall Of Fame. The key research is the difference in size of the PCI, not the total size.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondn96
I'd like to know the impact of adjusting the CPU strike frequency slider. Others have said that the CPU throws too many strikes on the lower difficulty levels and I have seen this myself. How much do you have to adjust the slider to see realistic balls and strikes?
I'm using Dynamic Difficulty, and there is definitely a difference in the number of strikes thrown on each level.

I'm currently on Veteran after being as high as All-Star+ and as low as Rookie+ lately (having some issues with my sliders, so a lot of fluctuation).

I have Strike Frequency at 2, I believe. I transferred my sliders over from '15 and kept it the same. I've found that to be a good number. On lower levels, you might need to lower it more, but I don't know if there is anything you can do on anything lower than Veteran to get more realistic rates.

Watch me play video games
Old 05-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
My first group of "theories":

H/9 affects gameplay in direct correlation with the batter's Contact ratings.

This is less theory and more developer-confirmed fact:

So....good guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I have a question about the interrelationships between ratings connected to plate discipline.

Which ratings, at which thresholds, and in what combinations tend to produce players who enter QC scenarios ahead of the count or likely to be in a position to draw walks and get on base?

I'm asking because I'm trying to make sure I get a leadoff hitter in the future who excels at getting on base, and I'd like to look at the attributes related to that in addition to the basic contact ratings and the speed factor that can also help top of the order guys get on base.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
What does the steal frequency slider do? Does it make the runner faster on the base path? Does it weaken the catchers arm or slow his reaction time down?
Impacts how many attempts straight steal attempts AND seems to impact hit-and-run attempts with slower guys.

There's also that "penalty for repeated steals" language in the description. It might lower whatever that's all about with the defense being "ready for" the steal attempt, especially after the first steal by the (player? team?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondn96
I'd like to know the impact of adjusting the CPU strike frequency slider. Others have said that the CPU throws too many strikes on the lower difficulty levels and I have seen this myself. How much do you have to adjust the slider to see realistic balls and strikes?
Strike frequency impacts how often they'll try to make you chase early in the count as opposed to throwing outright strikes early in the count.

It doesn't impact if the pitches will be strikes or balls, just the intended destination. Whether or not it helps a lot with early strikes or putting the hitter in more "walk likely" situations depends in part on the interaction with this and control/consistency (a miss on an "intended ball" could end up a strike, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Which ratings, at which thresholds, and in what combinations tend to produce players who enter QC scenarios ahead of the count or likely to be in a position to draw walks and get on base?
I always thought QC was random other than not getting an early count (0-0, 0-1, 1-0)? Seems like that was said (by the devs) to be the case when first introduced, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by KBLover; 05-10-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
I have a question about the interrelationships between ratings connected to plate discipline.

I'm asking because I'm trying to make sure I get a leadoff hitter in the future who excels at getting on base, and I'd like to look at the attributes related to that in addition to the basic contact ratings and the speed factor that can also help top of the order guys get on base.

Would love to know this also as i play Qc exclusively.
Warriors
Sharks
Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

Found a post by Brian SCEA saying that the attributes influence 3-0 vs 0-2...but every hitter will see all the counts.

So I'm guessing (key word) that the attributes are probably DISC vs BB/9 (and/or control) and guessing (key word) that the impact might not be very high.

Granted this was in MLB14 when it was first introduced. I haven't seen any word of any changes, though?

If I can think of a way to test it, I might try to track it next time I have some extra time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Found a post by Brian SCEA saying that the attributes influence 3-0 vs 0-2...but every hitter will see all the counts.

So I'm guessing (key word) that the attributes are probably DISC vs BB/9 (and/or control) and guessing (key word) that the impact might not be very high.

Granted this was in MLB14 when it was first introduced. I haven't seen any word of any changes, though?

If I can think of a way to test it, I might try to track it next time I have some extra time.
Thanks for the feedback. I love QC and generally finds its implementation good for my style of playing the game.

If it's not currently the case that disciplined hitters tend to get more favorable counts, I'd love to see that worked in in the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »