Home

Situation - What would you do?

This is a discussion on Situation - What would you do? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0
Situation - What would you do?

I was thinking about this after watching the M's game last night. You're up by one run in the 9th, 2 on, no outs, and Pujols up to bat. He is currently hitting .200 something and 0-3 tonight.

Do you put him on? You run the risk of giving up the equalizer but it's better than him belting a 3 run shot.

Do you pitch to him knowing his average is down and he is hitless in the game.

I like to think that I would have just put him on in hopes that I only gave up maybe one run in the inning. Just knowing what he can do would make me avoid him.
Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Situation - What would you do?

I try to pitch around him and if I walk him, so be it, but I *hate* just giving away free baserunners without at least giving him a chance to press and chase something he shouldn't.

Sure, he might get a hit anyway, but at least I gave him a chance to get himself out as well. There's no guarantee I get the next guy either. I load the bases and the next guy might drop a 2-run bloop on me anyway.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

I faced a similar situation last night against the Yankees. In the bottom of the 11th, tie game, they had a runner on second, 2 outs, and A-Rod comes up. I considered intentionally walking him, but he wasn't having a good game at the plate.

I pitched to him, and he hit a walk off two-run homer.

After much consideration, here is what I've come up with:

- If there are two outs, I walk him because even if I move the runner to third with the walk, they still HAVE to get a base hit to score the runner.

- If there is one or no outs and first base is open, I walk him. Make the play at him a force play, give yourself a chance.

- If there is one or no outs and the runners are on 1st and 2nd, I pitch to him. I don't want to move the runner to third and let them score on a pop-up to the outfield if I don't have to.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Depends on where the runners are. If they are on 1st and 2nd, then I go ahead and pitch to him in hopes of getting a ground ball double play. If runners are on 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 3rd, then I walk him and set up force at any base and the opportunity at a double play.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAllTheWay
I faced a similar situation last night against the Yankees. In the bottom of the 11th, tie game, they had a runner on second, 2 outs, and A-Rod comes up. I considered intentionally walking him, but he wasn't having a good game at the plate.

I pitched to him, and he hit a walk off two-run homer.

After much consideration, here is what I've come up with:

- If there are two outs, I walk him because even if I move the runner to third with the walk, they still HAVE to get a base hit to score the runner.

- If there is one or no outs and first base is open, I walk him. Make the play at him a force play, give yourself a chance.

- If there is one or no outs and the runners are on 1st and 2nd, I pitch to him. I don't want to move the runner to third and let them score on a pop-up to the outfield if I don't have to.
Scenario one completely depends on who the runner on 3rd and pitcher/(catcher to some extent) are. You load the bases now you can't accidentally miss and hit the batter, can't walk the batter, can't give up a wild pitch/passed ball. You now have to get the out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Scenario one completely depends on who the runner on 3rd and pitcher/(catcher to some extent) are. You load the bases now you can't accidentally miss and hit the batter, can't walk the batter, can't give up a wild pitch/passed ball. You now have to get the out.
True. Excellent point.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I can't think of a whole lot of scenarios where I'm not going to go after a .200 hitter. If he beats me then so be it
Old 05-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Pitch him low and with breaking pitches. Double play

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »