Home

Video Game Baseball Alcoholics Anonymous

This is a discussion on Video Game Baseball Alcoholics Anonymous within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #17
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Video Game Baseball Alcoholics Anonymous

My addiction was quite seedy to begin with as I'm from 'jolly old' England.

Baseball is frowned upon by many, some dismissing it as just 'a confusing version of Rounders'.

So when I was looking for PC games to bolster my collection I stumbled upon OS and OOTP. The year was 2007 and I developed a soft spot for the Atlanta Braves, Lord knows why.

A few months later my sensibilities kicked in, and as a long time Avalanche fan, it made more sense to root for the Colorado Rockies. And I still do, despite the fact that they seem to have some kind of repellent to good pitching up there.

I played OOTP without really having much of a clue about the game of baseball, only having watched a handful of MLB games veeeery late at night here in Britain.

"How hard could it be?" I thought, foolishly, as I struggled through the myriad of stats and options. I even created my English Baseball Championship fictional league, a wonderful alternative universe where this country embraces baseball as Cricket's spiritual ancestor, and not its red-headed step-child. I was particularly grateful to a Dutch slugger called Alfons Warmerdams who cleared many EBC fences with the long ball over the years.

As spreadsheet baseball, if you will, was still fairly overwhelming, I longed for a more visual representation of the sport, so I could learn it's mechanics as well as its sabermetrics. That's where MLB The Show 08 came in.

My addiction was sealed when I coughed up nearly £400 for a HDTV just so I could play my freshly imported copy.

Everything about The Show just drew me in. The graphics, the commentary, the Little Things - things that other sports games wouldn't even think of - they were in SCEA's game and made it even more special.

A few years passed, and MLB 13 made me relapse in a major way. I'd still played for the past few years but my Houston Astros franchise was amazing (Brett Gardner you legend).

It taught me how to properly develop young players and to build up a team and it's players from obscurity to the playoffs.

Fast-forward to the present day and my illness shows no sign of abating. MLB 16 has brought me back to the sport ten-fold. I wasn't even going to buy it this year (honest!) but when it's £40 on release day how could you say no.

I've played over 100 games so far, and I also did the thing I've done a few times since that 2007 season, I purchased OOTP again, and I'm trying to do it properly - desperately fighting through some truly horrible starting pitching to get my Rockies to 'not suck completely' as my board kindly put it. 80-82 is respectable although I have a feeling all my coaching staff are about to leave. S*** happens as they say, but there truly is no hope for me now, I'm well and truly off the wagon, and if I'm being honest with you guys and girls, I don't really want to be on it at all.

Now how do I bribe my Scouting Director to re-sign? There must be a way...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by woody2goody; 07-09-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #18
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Good morning all. I'm Picci from OS and I'm a Video Baseball Game Addict. We're going on a family vacation next week. Summer fun, Fishing, Beach, Dining, Boardwalk. Wife even bought a teddy to wear but all I'm thinking is how to bring my ps4 with me. She told me I can't and I should seek help.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #19
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
Good morning all. I'm Picci from OS and I'm a Video Baseball Game Addict. We're going on a family vacation next week. Summer fun, Fishing, Beach, Dining, Boardwalk. Wife even bought a teddy to wear but all I'm thinking is how to bring my ps4 with me. She told me I can't and I should seek help.

I completely understand. Last month I DID bring my PS4 on vacation. Now, I use remote play and started a side MOM league to play at work.

I know. I know. I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #20
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci

I love the Show as much as the next guy, but if you're serious about bringing your console on vacation, I highly recommend you take your wife's advice and reconsider. Family comes first. My marriage fell apart a few years ago (for other reasons) and every day I wish I could turn back the clock.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 07-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #21
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I love the Show as much as the next guy, but if you're serious about bringing your console on vacation, I highly recommend you take your wife's advice and reconsider. Family comes first. My marriage fell apart a few years ago (for other reasons) and every day I wish I could turn back the clock.
Thanks for your concern spanky but it's all in fun. After 21 years of marriage I think she knows what she's got into. Been gaming ever since she and I met. She chuckles about how someone of my age still loves to game, especially baseball. Whenever we're at family/friends get together she mentions that the reason I proposed to her in 1994 was because baseball was on strike and I figured it was time. LOL..

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
Rookie

I recently got fired from my job because of VGB... And I have never been happier. Now I play VGB from morning to night without a want or need in the world (except smoke and cheeseburgers or course). I feel like I have found my true calling which is to bring the Yankees back to the WS with a payroll of under $150M. Thank you MLB the Show... Thank you!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #23
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landle
I recently got fired from my job because of VGB... And I have never been happier. Now I play VGB from morning to night without a want or need in the world (except smoke and cheeseburgers or course). I feel like I have found my true calling which is to bring the Yankees back to the WS with a payroll of under $150M. Thank you MLB the Show... Thank you!
Not funny at all.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #24
Rookie

It's not supposed to be funny my friend because it's the truth! Bahahahaha ��

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »