Home

New to the game

This is a discussion on New to the game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
New to the game

Anyone out there have any guides or play now videos that a baseball beginner might be able to learn from. I'm never really sure when to change my pitchers or the pinch hitting situation. Trying to learn the difference between middle relief, set up and closing pitchers. I love the game but I am a novice. Having the game has increased my enjoyment in actually watching the game on tv. Just looking for any help anyone has to offer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Banned

H8ter2's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: New to the game

I'm sure you could find something on YouTube video wise as they seem to have everything on there these days lol

I can try and offer some advice to get you started though in relation to what topics you have listed

_ changing pitchers is dependent on how they are doing, if a guy starts getting hit hard early on you might want to get someone up in the bullpen, but more times then not keep an eye on pitch count and innings. I always in this game get a guy or two up in the pen in the 7th inning as that's when it seems some starters just fall off a cliff then there is someone ready to come in

_ Middle relief is mostly your mid level bullpen guys, matchup guys that you bring in to bridge the gap to getting to the closer, it's the majority of your bullpen, so let's say it's 7th inn and starter is getting tired, you got a lefty and righty up in the pen and the next hitters due up are R,R, L I would normally bring in my righty reliever to handle first 2 then the lefty to get the third guy using match ups in my favor similar to real baseball

The closer is your best reliever the guy who shuts it down think Chapman on yanks (Cubs now) Papplebom, etc

A setup guy could be your next best guy out there basically best non closer

Baseball is a thinking mans game and is a lot to digest when learning it, I would say play the game and start picking up things if anything many guys on here play their season games on twitch so you can see how they do things or just watch the CPU play a few games and see how they manage it all

Either way hope some of this is helpful and best of luck, this is an amazing game just like real baseball is so enjoy it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Rookie

Thanks for the help. I will definitely try and watch a few streams. Is it a fair assessment that lefties do better pitching to lefty batters. And righties pitch better to righty batters?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Banned

H8ter2's Arena

Yes in theory they do and that's the idea of match ups out of the bullpen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2016, 03:38 AM   #5
Just started!

ArchetypeGames's Arena

Don't be afraid to play that 70 overall Lefty against righty pitchers, in place of your 80 overall righty who struggles against right handed pitching. Dont read too much into overall ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Rookie

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. Feel free to drop in any tips for a complete beginner if you have any
Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Here is a short guide to hitting that I put out.

http://www.osatwork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882454

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Rookie

Nice article helping with hitting. Also I recently up'd my fielding and throwing difficulty to all star just to see what it was about. Anyone know why I tend to either overthrow or underthrow the 1st baseman? Sometimes he even has to come off the bag to catch the ball

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »