Home

Players progressing, declining, etc.

This is a discussion on Players progressing, declining, etc. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Players progressing, declining, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I've always said the system needed work. Progression and regression should also mostly take place in the off season. I agree that it should be more based on age, but this is not always the case in baseball. Still, better than guys like bryce dropping off in the late 20s just because of service time.

I would also love if there were an option to make true ratings hidden, and what you see based on the 20/80 scale and the quality of your scouts and coaches. In the end I'd prefer my opinion of a players performance on the field to have more impact on decisions. I'm in 2017 and Bautisita's ratings are dropping like a rock in all categories, but if I were to judge it based on his field performance, I'd have to say the only thing he's lost is some speed, a little arm, and endurance. He's still an excellent batter, perfect for the DH, and still one of my best.
I agree re: the Bautista example, and that's kind of what I was trying to say with stating that I look at the base numbers, not the points lost in regression, to determine a player's worth.

I saw Bautista in year 3 in FA, and even though he'd regressed considerably, he was basically still an elite power bat by his attributes and performance.

Seeing the exact extent of the regression as it's happening can make the effects of regression seem far worse than they actually are.

In season 5 for me, Kershaw lost 8 points in several categories, but he still won 20+ games and took home a CY Young. I re-signed him because even after that drop, he's still a legitimate front-line starter. Even if he drops that much each year for the remainder of the 3-year extension I gave him, he'll still end his career as a middle of the rotation guy at least.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #10
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I know this sounds dumb, but sometimes I wonder if editing players breaks their progression/regression. I'm constantly editing my players equipment, minor league jersey numbers, stances and deliveries.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 10-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I know this sounds dumb, but sometimes I wonder if editing players breaks their progression/regression. I'm constantly editing my players equipment, minor league jersey numbers, stances and deliveries.
You might be on to something. I know every time I go into edit a player and his attribute numbers reset. For example, +2 speed, -1 Pwr (R) will disappear...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Does it actually change the player's career arc or just a display issue?

Ratings seem the same and I haven't noticed that a player will change trajectory one way or another?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #13
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by decga
You might be on to something. I know every time I go into edit a player and his attribute numbers reset. For example, +2 speed, -1 Pwr (R) will disappear...
Hmm... interesting. Going to test this out a bit. And I'm going to make sure I only make player edits in the offseason. If this really happens I hope SCEA is aware of it for MLB 17.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 10-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Wow. Yep. Just tested this. Definitely some kind of bug. The only player on my team that had a positive progression (green arrow beside his overall and +1 o. H/9 and BB/9) lost it when Inmade an edit to his entrance music.

Does SCEA still pay attention to bugs at this point in the year? This stinks for someone like me who loves to edit equipment, walk-up music, etc.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 10-06-2016, 10:54 PM   #15
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Wow. Yep. Just tested this. Definitely some kind of bug. The only player on my team that had a positive progression (green arrow beside his overall and +1 o. H/9 and BB/9) lost it when Inmade an edit to his entrance music.

Does SCEA still pay attention to bugs at this point in the year? This stinks for someone like me who loves to edit equipment, walk-up music, etc.
Shoot! I thought it was normal. It has been around since last year. I guess that's the downfall of editing a player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Does it actually change the player's career arc or just a display issue?

Ratings seem the same and I haven't noticed that a player will change trajectory one way or another?
I think it's a display issue, personally.

I've edited equipment and even positions, and this puts a pause/reset on the visual display of a player's attributes. But once you play more games and resume progress through the regular in-season checkpoints, the display will correct itself and your player will return to traveling on whatever arc they were on development-wise.

I haven't seen such editing accidentally "tank" a player who was otherwise staying at the same level, or who was progressing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »