Home

Seeing the Zone

This is a discussion on Seeing the Zone within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
Rookie

Braves225's Arena

OVR: 0
Seeing the Zone

Okay I'm finally somewhat getting the hang of hitting but I am terrible at seeing balls and strikes. Do y'all have any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Seeing the Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves225
Okay I'm finally somewhat getting the hang of hitting but I am terrible at seeing balls and strikes. Do y'all have any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
The "Discipline" Batting Practice mode can be a big help for this. CPU will throw you everything in a pitcher's repertoire and you score points based on how many strikes you put in play while not swinging at balls. It's a scenario not unlike the approach one would take when batting with two strikes (with fewer than that, you want to be a little more selective and do more than just put the ball in play). Hitting with two strikes is more about reflex/reaction than anticipation (guessing where the ball is heading ahead of time) so that makes this mode a really good practice tool.

Camera will make a lot of difference for people to identify ball/strike too - the best reaction in the world won't help you if you can't see the break on a pitch. Generally I think using the wider-angle cameras makes it easier for me to see a pitch's break and where it's heading. With the zoomed in cameras it's a bit harder for me to gauge those things.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

Camera will make a lot of difference for people to identify ball/strike too - the best reaction in the world won't help you if you can't see the break on a pitch. Generally I think using the wider-angle cameras makes it easier for me to see a pitch's break and where it's heading. With the zoomed in cameras it's a bit harder for me to gauge those things.
The camera angle makes the most difference for me as well. When my eyesight was better all I needed was to keep practicing on whatever cam angle gave me the most fits. But then my eyesight hit a point that using only the perfect camera was my only option. Otherwise I would normally say practice practice practice.

A Work in Progress
Old 12-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Along with the above posts, I would like to add my two cents. Once you find a camera angle that works for you. Stick with it for a while. Even if you struggle a bit stay with it. In my opinion some folks that struggle with this game chase settings around too much. Remember baseball is a game of averages. Every pitcher you face throws the ball a little different and every park looks and plays a little different. You might get it set right to where you like it during practice and then get to a park you have never played in and just stink up the place like a bathroom at Taco Bell.

For example I am in my 5th year of my National Franchise. I have played every game of all of the seasons. But to this day, there is a time between 1 and 3pm at my home park that I cannot for the life of me pick up the ball on a clear sunny day. But I have learned to deal with it and compensate. If I started chasing cameras I would mess up my overall groove and continue to struggle.

So in a nutshell, any change you make, whether it is a slider, a camera angle or difficulty level. Let it sit there for 10 games or so. This isn't like Madden or Fifa or NBA, every day can bring an entirely different set of challenges.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
MVP

Syce's Arena

ya cam angle can make a big difference. you will notice that a lot of the top DD players tend to use the Strikezone Cam, because its zoomed right into the strike zone they can see the pitches better. Personally i dont like it as its too close for my liking but its one of those things that if you use it enough you will eventually get use to it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

Like others have said, getting a good camera angle is definitely key, but one thing that really helped me was actually turning the strike zone off completely. It forces you to abandon what you perceive the strike zone to be and instead you react to what the pitcher is throwing you. You'd be surprised at just how well you can see what is a hittable pitch, and what's out of the zone.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Rookie

Yes definitely, strike zone off off off. Then just focus on seeing the ball and hitting the ball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »