Home

Updated Fielding - Outfielders

This is a discussion on Updated Fielding - Outfielders within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Updated Fielding - Outfielders

LOL yeah the SS was last seen running with the third basemen! I will not play this mode at all. But I have seen similar situations in other gameplay videos.

I believe they said or I read some where its the same gameplay as the main game mode just with the Retro Mode tweaks?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
So I talked in another thread about the new fielding AI and how it works in conjunction with the runners coming out of the box. At first I thought the batters ran at full speed no matter what....

Someone pulled up some video from MLB 16 to prove that batters run slower on grounders that are sure outs and that mixed with the fielders taking their time in similar situations makes for a more realistic experience. So that is great and I am happy that is being implemented!

There is still an issue with plays being too close on doubles that go all the way to the wall.
It seems like the new fielding AI applies to IF but not to OF (hope I am wrong).

Take a look at a Retro Mode video recent posted by IGN (link below), where Pollock hits a ball in the corner down the line. This type of hit is GREAT to see as it would NEVER have happened in MLB 16, however when the LF retrieves the ball he fires it into 2B and Pollock has to slide into 2B.

Now, part of the AI fielding change as per Ramone was to make the game look more realistic, because a runner is not going to kill himself getting to 1B on a routine grounder and a fielder is not going to fire it across the diamond 100% of the time if there is a slow runner coming out of the box.

In real life, OF and runners take same approach on balls in the gap or in the corner.

Two things from the video that contradict above.

1. Pollock's speed is 75. He is not slow and he should have easily made it to 2B and it should not have been that close, period.

2. However, the LF should have also not thrown all the way to 2B. In real life he would have fired it into the SS (relay man) who would have looked back to 2B as Pollock was pulling in. This would have been more realistic, made the play not close at all, and prevented Pollock from sliding on a clear double.

Tremendous strides have been made to address people's complaints that the fields play too small. As we know now it was not that the fields play too small but rather the fielders took perfect routes too balls, always threw the ball hard, and the ball physics caused the balls to hang too long in the air.

All of these were addressed and it seems like the fields are not playing as small as they used to. But this is one example of something that still conjures those same feelings.

I am hoping this is just because this is not final build, but this is something that has been a problem in the series in general and I was hoping the new fielding AI would remedy this, but it does not seem to be the case.

Link below, 1:40 mark:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-gameplay.html
Wrong. Apologies for the ad in front of the video but I don't run MLB.com

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6310634...%2Bat%2Bsecond
Old 02-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #11
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Wrong. Apologies for the ad in front of the video but I don't run MLB.com

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6310634...%2Bat%2Bsecond
1. Schwarber had knee surgery after shredding his knee like pulled pork and this was his 4th game back since April (video is from November). He might be slowest person on planet right now, definitely slowest player on either team at the time of this game....Bad example.

2. The ball did not get to the corner, it was to the right of the RF but definitely not in the corner. The ball bounced right back to Chisenhall, who scoped it on bounce of the wall and turned and fired to nab, again....The slowest guy in the building.

Again.....Just how the infielders will take their time when Schwaber grounds out to them, the outfielders should take their time when they field ball off the wall and runner is already half way to 2B and they have plus speed.....The OF should be smart enough to concede the double and focus on keeping runner on 2B, you do that by hitting your cutoff man.

From LF the ball is in front of the runner as he moves into 2B, if cutoff man has the ball he will pull up and not round the base.

I am not saying there shouldn't be attempts to nail the guy going to 2B, what I am saying is there shouldn't be attempts on "guaranteed doubles" that are down the line, in corner, with a plus runner, who busted it out the box.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-21-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
1. Schwarber had knee surgery after shredding his knee like pulled pork and this was his 4th game back since April (video is from November). He might be slowest person on planet right now, definitely slowest player on either team at the time of this game....Bad example.

2. The ball did not get to the corner, it was to the right of the RF but definitely not in the corner. The ball bounced right back to Chisenhall, who scoped it on bounce of the wall and turned and fired to nab, again....The slowest guy in the building.

Again.....Just how the infielders will take their time when Schwaber grounds out to them, the outfielders should take their time when they field ball off the wall and runner is already half way to 2B and they have plus speed.....The OF should be smart enough to concede the double and focus on keeping runner on 2B, you do that by hitting your cutoff man.

From LF the ball is in front of the runner as he moves into 2B, if cutoff man has the ball he will pull up and not round the base.

I am not saying there shouldn't be attempts to nail the guy going to 2B, what I am saying is there shouldn't be attempts on "guaranteed doubles" that are down the line, in corner, with a plus runner, who busted it out the box.
The announcer said "shot into the right field corner by Schwarber" and Pollock was easily safe at second. The second baseman was 6 feet from the bag when Pollock's hand was on the bag and the ball was 15 feet from the second baseman. The second baseman didn't even attempt a tag. It wasn't a close play. Looks perfectly realistic to me.

https://youtu.be/LrTmMMdvnK4?t=108

Me thinks thou dost protest to much.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #13
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
The announcer said "shot into the right field corner by Schwarber" and Pollock was easily safe at second. The second baseman was 6 feet from the bag when Pollock's hand was on the bag and the ball was 15 feet from the second baseman. The second baseman didn't even attempt a tag. It wasn't a close play. Looks perfectly realistic to me.

Me thinks thou dost protest to much.
I can see we are two different people which is why we don't agree on this topic. You don't pay attention to too much detail....

Announcer said "shot into right field corner...." yet in WATCHING the video YOU posted, the ball was NOT in the corner.

Additionally, above I explained why the 2B did not attempt the tag (he was out of position in relation to the play attempted). Had he been standing on bag that's a bang bang play. He's not standing on bag, because he shouldn't as that ball shouldn't have been thrown to 2B, on a single hop, and force a 75 speed runner to slide.

This is all my opinion and it's what I am looking for in the game. If devs agree and can fix it great, if they disagree and/or can't, the game will still be great and hopefully I can tune it to my liking with sliders.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 02-21-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #14
MVP

Quote:
I can see we are two different people which is why we don't agree on this topic. You don't pay attention to too much detail....

Announcer said "shot into right field corner...." yet in WATCHING the video YOU posted, the ball was NOT in the corner.

Additionally, above I explained why the 2B did not attempt the tag (he was out of position in relation to the play attempted). Had he been standing on bag that's a bang bang play. He's not standing on bag, because he shouldn't as that ball shouldn't have been thrown to 2B, on a single hop, and force a 75 speed runner to slide.

This is all my opinion and it's what I am looking for in the game. If devs agree and can fix it great, if they disagree and/or can't, the game will still be great and hopefully I can tune it to my liking with sliders.

You are wrong for several reasons. Look at the video.

The ball was 20 feet from the bag and the runner was already on the bag. It would not have been a bang-bang play. The standard rule is throw the ball to second base, it's baseball 101. The only time that throw goes to third/cutoff is if the outfielder doesn't field it cleanly or there is a runner on first base.

Meanwhile...

https://youtu.be/4xHUDMq3C5U?t=114
Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
You are wrong for several reasons. Look at the video.

The ball was 20 feet from the bag and the runner was already on the bag. It would not have been a bang-bang play. The standard rule is throw the ball to second base, it's baseball 101. The only time that throw goes to third/cutoff is if the outfielder doesn't field it cleanly or there is a runner on first base.

Meanwhile...

https://youtu.be/4xHUDMq3C5U?t=114

1. 2B was not 20 feet from bag....in this scenario being literal counts
2. You are giving me a highlight reel play from an elite OF as an example...this is the other end of the spectrum in comparison to the Schwarber example.

Spinning in circles here guy...
As I said our opinions differ here, thats okay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
1. 2B was not 20 feet from bag....in this scenario being literal counts
2. You are giving me a highlight reel play from an elite OF as an example...this is the other end of the spectrum in comparison to the Schwarber example.

Spinning in circles here guy...
As I said our opinions differ here, thats okay.
2B didn't have the ball when the runner was on the bag. Ball was 20 feet from the bag. Look at the video.

There is nothing wrong with how the developers have that play programmed. It is 100% accurate. LF throws the ball to 2B.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »