Home

MLB The Show 17 Video - Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Video - Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #41
Rookie

GWPump23's Arena

OVR: 3
I am LOVING what I'm seeing! Fortunately, with MLBTS "16" still being so good... The anticipation for "17's" arrive hasn't been TOO overbearing.

ALL I ever ask of the series is to continue updated players, adding additional animations & voice work annually. This year (along with the ball physics) these additions seem to have been taken to the next level!

Would like to see how these new curving / fading ball physics look while playing in "broadcast" view"? BUT, I'm sure I'll most of them from 03/28/17 to early spring of "2018"!

-GW-

PS... EVERY year I read about improved graphics & say to myself, "Why do they spend so much time every year improving something that can't be approved upon much?" EVERY year & shortly afterwards, I'm astonished at how much better things look... Truly amazing!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 17 Video - Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Everyone needs to take a step back. We haven't even seen the stream yet.
Completely agree, but I think you can agree that comparing the videos leading up to each stream and deep dive this was pretty disappointing.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #43
MVP

eric7064's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_17
I know, I play in multiple online leagues, but putting the same post in nearly every thread is a bit excessive

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app
Let's slow your roll there. I put it in threads related to franchise mode or wishes. I'm not going into uniform threads, rtts threads etc, about my hope for an improvement to the mode.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #44
Rookie

IamAdderlyn's Arena

OVR: 0

I love MLB The Show , especially franchise mode. Looks like the main focus this year is for play faster (sim games) which to me is disappointing because I like to play all the games even spring training. I hope we can get non roster invitees at least.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #45
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Early impressions are mixed, I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a nice nugget or two on Thursday during the deep dive. I can see them making an online franchise announcement of some kind in the deep dive, but that's entirely speculation on my part.

A few things that struck me about this vlog...

The menus look new, but the options look largely unchanged. I didn't see any additions to the financial system/contracts or anything that would indicate an "owner mode." One new item was a "weekly cash flow," but I'm not sure if that's just an aesthetic or if there's any practical reason to slice the annual budget into weekly segments.

The drafting looks about the same, but the positional depth chart on the select player screen I think is new. For those who draft based on position, this is a good add.

The team morale breakdown screen is also a cool little item. You can get a quick feel for the "clubhouse vibe" without cycling through each player's card. It tells you how many "ecstatic" "satisfied" and so on.

One thing that might grow on me is the "Quick Manage" text-based sim option. I have been reluctant to sim games for lack of control over my stats, so it takes quite a while to advance through a full season. Having a bit more control here might make a 'play 1 sim x' method more attractive. Stepping back for an even more panoramic view, this also might signal an early fusion of an OOTP type game with MLB The Show. I think in several years time, a game that gives you the gameplay and artwork of MLB The Show and the depth and management minutia of OOTP would make this a very happy panda.
Yes WTNY...right there with you.

I did not expect major overhauls in franchise mode which for me is one of the deeper franchise modes among the big 4 sports games. I do yearn for a better draft "presentation" but the draft itself is pretty straight forward. Scouting looks exactly the same and while it's not perfect, I have no major issues with it. I never expected this "console" baseball game to become a text based franchise mode like OOTP. If that is what you really want then that is the game for you. It is incredibly deep and complex and offers a lot of what some here really want.

I love to play my games as opposed to doing front office stuff and text simulation yet they have added in quick manage mode which looks like a sweet little feature so I can get through multiple franchises and play every game of my main franchise. The Show is the best baseball simulation on a console system I have ever played. I think they do a great job delivering a deep enough franchise mode with menu's and features. Speaking of menu's the new franchise menu's look fantastic and far cleaner and easier to navigate.

I really loved the player morale system they added to 16 and my hope is they fixed some of the little quirks with carry over franchise files etc. I have never had problems with training, contracts, the off-season.

If there is a huge area of opportunity and tuning it is as always AI logic in terms of free agency, drafting and of course stat tracking.

I am very excited with the new presentations we will see with head to head stat's, match-up stats (batter vs pitcher etc) that is something that is huge for immersion.

I am not one that thinks franchise needs an overhaul, it just needs continued evolution and last year was a big shift with player morale and career stats and expanded saber metrics etc.

I love where the game has been going. And visually so far in the videos I have seen it looks stunning. Ton's of little things I am seeing in terms of animations, depth, parks, and overall photo realistic stuff.

The game is loaded with options, modes and plenty of baseball goodness.

I am looking forward to hearing about AI logic tuning, player morale tuning in the deep dive stream Thursday.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #46
Rookie

gharp14's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Where did you see that stat tracking was the same and that we don't have rotating interleague matchups?
. Do you think that they would not mention those in the video. I can see updates for trades, draft, etc. being excluded from this but after watching the last couple years, I think these would have made the video if they were in.

Last edited by gharp14; 03-07-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #47
MVP

eric7064's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Yes WTNY...right there with you.

I did not expect major overhauls in franchise mode which for me is one of the deeper franchise modes among the big 4 sports games. I do yearn for a better draft "presentation" but the draft itself is pretty straight forward. Scouting looks exactly the same and while it's not perfect, I have no major issues with it. I never expected this "console" baseball game to become a text based franchise mode like OOTP. If that is what you really want then that is the game for you. It is incredibly deep and complex and offers a lot of what some here really want.

I love to play my games as opposed to doing front office stuff and text simulation yet they have added in quick manage mode which looks like a sweet little feature so I can get through multiple franchises and play every game of my main franchise. The Show is the best baseball simulation on a console system I have ever played. I think they do a great job delivering a deep enough franchise mode with menu's and features. Speaking of menu's the new franchise menu's look fantastic and far cleaner and easier to navigate.

I really loved the player morale system they added to 16 and my hope is they fixed some of the little quirks with carry over franchise files etc. I have never had problems with training, contracts, the off-season.

If there is a huge area of opportunity and tuning it is as always AI logic in terms of free agency, drafting and of course stat tracking.

I am very excited with the new presentations we will see with head to head stat's, match-up stats (batter vs pitcher etc) that is something that is huge for immersion.

I am not one that thinks franchise needs an overhaul, it just needs continued evolution and last year was a big shift with player morale and career stats and expanded saber metrics etc.

I love where the game has been going. And visually so far in the videos I have seen it looks stunning. Ton's of little things I am seeing in terms of animations, depth, parks, and overall photo realistic stuff.

The game is loaded with options, modes and plenty of baseball goodness.

I am looking forward to hearing about AI logic tuning, player morale tuning in the deep dive stream Thursday.
Hmm I have never thought of the show as having one of the deepest franchise modes. I love the show. Favorite game. But franchise mode has been lagging behind since the switch to ps4.

NBA 2k is certainly deeper. Madden has a deeper franchise mode (even though the game play is iffy). Fifa is deeper. I haven't played NHL in a couple years so I cannot speak on that.

Again, love the show. Baseball is the best sport and out of any sport could have the most in depth franchise possible. There's still a lot missing from the mode.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #48
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharp14
. Do you think that they would not mention those in the video. I can see updates so for trades, draft being inexcluded from this but after watching the last couple years, I think these would have made the video if they were in.
Well, when asked about rotating interleague schedules on Twitter, Ramone advised the person asking the question to tune into the stream this Thursday.

So, no I don't necessarily think that if expanded stat tracking or rotating interleague schedules are in the game that they would have been shown in this video.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »