Home

Situational Hitting w/ Zone Hitting

This is a discussion on Situational Hitting w/ Zone Hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10
Situational Hitting w/ Zone Hitting

In the past there have been discussions on Zone vs Directional Hitting, and I have been a big advocate for Directional Hitting.

Most of the discussion has always been about what is better and/or easier to use, but this thread is not about that necessarily.

I would like to know how do those who use Zone Hitting, go about hitting in situations where a ball needs to be influenced somewhere.

Example: Runner on 2B, 0 Outs, and you want to hit ball on the ground to the right to move runner over to 3B.

How do you do that? Or do you not do that at all, do you just hit the ball and hope for a favorable outcome?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Situational Hitting w/ Zone Hitting

I would either look to square up a ball that is away and try to be later on my timing. Or have the ball be on the right side of the pci zone so the bat pushes it to the right. Preferably still with the ball middle away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I would either look to square up a ball that is away and try to be later on my timing. Or have the ball be on the right side of the pci zone so the bat pushes it to the right. Preferably still with the ball middle away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Do you feel that it's natural to do this in relation to "real" hitting or is it difficult to have ball end up on the right side of PCI zone?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Do you feel that it's natural to do this in relation to "real" hitting or is it difficult to have ball end up on the right side of PCI zone?
I feel it is more "real" with PCI because you have to time the pitch and maneuver the bat in a way to push the ball to the right side. As opposed to simply holding L-stick to the right.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I feel it is more "real" with PCI because you have to time the pitch and maneuver the bat in a way to push the ball to the right side. As opposed to simply holding L-stick to the right.
I've always considered it the opposite. When I am batting, I don't try to maneuver the bat, I see the ball and swing at it. If I'm not hitting it square, I don't work on my aim, I work on my stance and mechanics.

If I am wanting to push the ball to the opposite field, I keep my front shoulder in. If I am trying to pull it, I open up my shoulders. It's a binary choice, not a fluid aiming choice. Moving the stick to show which adjustment I made makes more sense and seems more realistic.

Usually that choice is based on pitch location, and not where I want to force the ball. Trying to force a a pitch the opposite way should decrease power and contact, but that's the trade off you give to accomplish a situational goal.

That said, using PCI does add a level of difficulty to the game some might prefer. If hitting is too easy using directional hitting, I see no problem with having something like PCI to help the game play more realistically for some. But I don't think there is anything inherently unrealistic about directional hitting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2017, 01:09 PM   #6
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D
I've always considered it the opposite. When I am batting, I don't try to maneuver the bat, I see the ball and swing at it. If I'm not hitting it square, I don't work on my aim, I work on my stance and mechanics.

If I am wanting to push the ball to the opposite field, I keep my front shoulder in. If I am trying to pull it, I open up my shoulders. It's a binary choice, not a fluid aiming choice. Moving the stick to show which adjustment I made makes more sense and seems more realistic.

Usually that choice is based on pitch location, and not where I want to force the ball. Trying to force a a pitch the opposite way should decrease power and contact, but that's the trade off you give to accomplish a situational goal.

That said, using PCI does add a level of difficulty to the game some might prefer. If hitting is too easy using directional hitting, I see no problem with having something like PCI to help the game play more realistically for some. But I don't think there is anything inherently unrealistic about directional hitting.

I was talking about maneuvering the "bat" by putting the PCI more towards the left of the ball so if goes oppo as opposed to squaring it up and trying to hit it a long way. Along with sit back and wait a split second to hit it oppo as opposed to judging the pitch and hitting it where it is pitched.

I wasn't talking about physically swinging in real life ha. That's a whole different discussion. If you're try to put a ground ball to second base in real life, you swing down on the ball, late, choke up to get better bat control. Stance doesn't change.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Pro

stevostl's Arena

Quote:
this is exactly how i feel... but also more rewarding. I find it easier hitting with the PCI to be honest ... because I'm use to that
Old 03-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

Quote:
I was talking about maneuvering the "bat" by putting the PCI more towards the left of the ball so if goes oppo as opposed to squaring it up and trying to hit it a long way. Along with sit back and wait a split second to hit it oppo as opposed to judging the pitch and hitting it where it is pitched.

I wasn't talking about physically swinging in real life ha. That's a whole different discussion. If you're try to put a ground ball to second base in real life, you swing down on the ball, late, choke up to get better bat control. Stance doesn't change.
You are highlighting why I think Directional is more "real". In game it is more of a challenge to hit with PCI but shouldn't hitting be relatively easy when playing as MLB players?

Their ratings not my skill should determine outcome where as my timing and direction input should determine how I want to play the situation....No?

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »