Home

MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #1553
Banned

NYSports1's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Supports 4K & HDR on PS4 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Okay, I kicked my Backlight up to full intensity and things look a lot better. There's still a slight darkness shift between innings, but not as distracting as before. Guess I'll have to live with it.
You are suppose to have full back light maxed for HDR to properly work.

Also not all HDR tv's are goo HDR tvs. Peak brightness is the main ingredient to make it look great. If your tv falls under the standard 1000 nits it will not be as great as those who do have 1000 nits
Old 10-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #1554
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
I'm having a strange HDR issue where every time an inning starts, the screen is SUPER dark (to where I can barely see) for 15 seconds or so, then gradually fades to the proper color. Things are fine until the next inning, when it starts all over again.

I've checked my TV settings and there are no auto-adjustment/eye comfort filters enabled, and The Show is the only game where I have this issue. Any ideas?
Sounds like it could be an HDMI handshake issue and the TV not treating it like an HDR signal. The backlight would automatically be maxed out in HDR.

Also, it's either HDR or not. It wouldn't fade slowly. Interesting.

What is the make and model of your TV?
Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #1555
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSports1
You are suppose to have full back light maxed for HDR to properly work.s
I keep hearing this. So let me get this straight... if backlight is on a 20-increment scale and I have it at anywhere 0-19, it will display poorly... but once I go from 19-20, then suddenly the magic happens?
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #1556
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Also, it's either HDR or not. It wouldn't fade slowly. Interesting.

What is the make and model of your TV?
Okay, I did some research and turns it's my LG 6300 series, which is apparently not true HDR. It has an "Ultra Deep Color" setting but not true HDR. The weird thing is most games look great with these settings (knowing that's a relative term), it's only The Show that has the fade effect. It happens precisely when the screen goes to full black in-between innings.

BTW, I do get the "HDR" icon on both The Show and FIFA. For whatever that's worth.

Last edited by Turbojugend; 10-09-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #1557
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I keep hearing this. So let me get this straight... if backlight is on a 20-increment scale and I have it at anywhere 0-19, it will display poorly... but once I go from 19-20, then suddenly the magic happens?
It should always be on 20, no exceptions.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 10-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #1558
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
No magic. You can technically adjust it still...it's just that HDR capable Tv's need to hit really deep black levels and higher peak brightness levels. That generally means maxing out the backlight for peaks, and that works best with FALD tv's with many dimming zones so they can also display the dark ranges.

Most common Tv's just don't get bright enough so the picture looks dim with HDR.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #1559
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

my friend has a 4k tv but a regular ps4. would there be more input lag on his 4k tv than a gaming monitor with about 1-5ms. are there any settings he could change to improve input lag other than game mode? thanks. please if you take time to help me do not use any acronyms. lol i have no idea what these 4k tvs are all about...
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #1560
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
my friend has a 4k tv but a regular ps4. would there be more input lag on his 4k tv than a gaming monitor with about 1-5ms. are there any settings he could change to improve input lag other than game mode? thanks. please if you take time to help me do not use any acronyms. lol i have no idea what these 4k tvs are all about...
Quad-full-high-definition televisions, much like any other high-definition televisions, will often have post-processing settings that you can enable/disable in any sort of "Picture Options" menus that you can navigate through. Items to look for include Dynamic Contrast, Frame Interpolation, Black Level, Edge-Enhancement, Motion Picture Experts Group Noise Reduction, et cetera.

Most all of these kinds of settings are turned off through calibration, because they are not needed to get the most accurate picture possible, and often are detrimental to the screen's natural/intended image.

The one exception to this would be High Dynamic Range, which you would of course like to have enabled if you can use it correctly. I do not own a quad-full-high-definition television, so I could not tell you how easy it is to use the High Dynamic Range feature.

Spoiler
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »