Home

MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #2009
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 17 Trade Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan31
I'm trying to think of a young DH type player to trade for before I start my franchise with my Red Sox. My first question is: 1) Who are some good targets? and 2) What would it take for someone like MIN 1B Kennys Vargas or BAL 1B Trey Mancini
Kyle Schwarber would be a great get as a DH for you. Likely cost a couple good prospects. Although, he is really just a bat-first player and if he's not hitting, he doesn't really make up for it by doing anything else really well (speed, defense).
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #2010
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

I'm torn. Part of me wants to trade Glasnow and get Quintana to push for the wild card. But on the other side I want the challenge of making Glasnow better. He is 4-2 with a 5.00 ERA so far. He started the season in the rotation and then went to the bullpen and now is a starter again. He has been pitching better but just can't seem to finish off the batter. 2 starts ago he went 6 innings and allowed 2 runs and the last start I had a 5-1 lead in the 5th inning and he gave up a couple hits to make it 5-2 and had the bases loaded with nobody out before I had to pull him. I was struggling to leave him in there to try for the win or risk losing the lead all together. So I'm torn on what to do.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #2011
MVP

GamecocksLaw17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Left Shark
Kyle Schwarber would be a great get as a DH for you. Likely cost a couple good prospects. Although, he is really just a bat-first player and if he's not hitting, he doesn't really make up for it by doing anything else really well (speed, defense).
The Red Sox couldn't get Schwarber. If the Cubs weren't willing to move him for Andrew Miller, what do the Sox have that they would actually trade that would get the Cubs attention?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #2012
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecocksLaw17
The Red Sox couldn't get Schwarber. If the Cubs weren't willing to move him for Andrew Miller, what do the Sox have that they would actually trade that would get the Cubs attention?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app
Who knows, but not trading for Andrew Miller could end up being a mistake. Time will tell. So far, he isn't hitting this year. I know he's basically a rookie due to not having a ton of plate appearances, but I feel like the Cubs would have been wise to trade him while his value was highest. I predicted before this season they would deal him next off-season in a deal for young pitching as they have guys on their bench who can play everyday with no room (Almora and Baez) and have guys on their way up likely this season (Happ, Candalerio called up today, Jimenez in next few years).
Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #2013
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

Quote:
Who knows, but not trading for Andrew Miller could end up being a mistake. Time will tell. So far, he isn't hitting this year. I know he's basically a rookie due to not having a ton of plate appearances, but I feel like the Cubs would have been wise to trade him while his value was highest. I predicted before this season they would deal him next off-season in a deal for young pitching as they have guys on their bench who can play everyday with no room (Almora and Baez) and have guys on their way up likely this season (Happ, Candalerio called up today, Jimenez in next few years).
That is a actual good debate. Did the Cubs really win the Chapman trade? I'm a huge Cubs fan and I'm grateful for the championship after all these years. But, we lost 2 good prospects in the trade and no Chapman. Yes the Cubs obviously won the trade if you look at it as they won the World Series that is the ultimate goal. But could the Cubs have gone to the Royals to get Wade Davis for less last year? Could Wade Davis have won them the world series? Who knows. I would like to see the Cubs get Quintana. That way the Cubs could let Arrieta walk after this year if the money is too high.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #2014
MVP

GamecocksLaw17's Arena

Quote:
They won the World Series and Schwarber played a big part in that win. He came back and hit. Even when his bat is down he has a good OBP (.321)

Why are you more willing to view his 137 PA of an 88 wRC+ this season as his bat not being what is expected over the 273 PA he had in 2015 where his wRC+ was a 132? He's still extremely valuable. There was no mistake in trading prospects to win a World Series. That's the ultimate goal and they achieved it even though they paid a ton in prospect capital.

Since you're convinced the Cubs should move him, what do you think the Red Sox would need to give up?
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm1982
That is a actual good debate. Did the Cubs really win the Chapman trade? I'm a huge Cubs fan and I'm grateful for the championship after all these years. But, we lost 2 good prospects in the trade and no Chapman. Yes the Cubs obviously won the trade if you look at it as they won the World Series that is the ultimate goal. But could the Cubs have gone to the Royals to get Wade Davis for less last year? Could Wade Davis have won them the world series? Who knows. I would like to see the Cubs get Quintana. That way the Cubs could let Arrieta walk after this year if the money is too high.
Wasn't Wade Davis hurt? And I am by no-means saying Schwarber will suck in his career but he is basically a one-dimensional player. The guys on the bench and in minors could potentially be more well-rounded guys. Plus they'd still have Torres.

I'm just saying one who wants to deal position player depth playing as the Cubs in a franchise or a team wanting Schwarber in their franchise could make a deal trading starting pitching prospects and one could chalk it up as making sense. Cubs are very thin in pitching in the minors and about to potentially lose Arrieta after this year and probably Lackey as well. Or they can trade guys like Happ and Jimenez for cost-controlled guys already pitching well at the MLB level on another team. Gotta make room for all these guys somehow and moving Schwarber is an option.

Last edited by The Left Shark; 05-09-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #2016
MVP

GamecocksLaw17's Arena

Quote:
Wasn't Wade Davis hurt? And I am by no-means saying Schwarber will suck in his career but he is basically a one-dimensional player. The guys on the bench and in minors could potentially be more well-rounded guys. Plus they'd still have Torres.

I'm just saying one who wants to deal position player depth playing as the Cubs in a franchise or a team wanting Schwarber in their franchise could make a deal trading starting pitching prospects and one could chalk it up as making sense. Cubs are very thin in pitching in the minors and about to potentially lose Arrieta after this year and probably Lackey as well. Or they can trade guys like Happ and Jimenez for cost-controlled guys already pitching well at the MLB level on another team.
There's no way to be sure Torres will be a good player. His prospect status is huge, but I'd take 5 years of Schwarber over 6 of Torres. That's just my opinion obviously but I doubt you find one person in the Cubs front office that believes they made a mistake in keeping Schwarber

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »