Home

Catchers too slow to pounce on blocked balls in dirt

This is a discussion on Catchers too slow to pounce on blocked balls in dirt within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #17
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Catchers too slow to pounce on blocked balls in dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty5oke
Been like this for a while in the game. I always hate the weird spring motion on things like foul balls, small pop outs behind the plate.
Those issues are still present, but this year the blocking transition animations are exacerbated by either being slower, or having more aggressive baserunners.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yep, it's bad. In all honesty, defense as a whole is a total mess in the game. Catchers never get after balls in the dirt with any urgency. Infielders have absurd range, throwing accuracy, and acrobatic throwing abilities. Outfielders dive all the time. It's all pretty darned rough.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil frier
Yep, it's bad. In all honesty, defense as a whole is a total mess in the game. Catchers never get after balls in the dirt with any urgency. Infielders have absurd range, throwing accuracy, and acrobatic throwing abilities. Outfielders dive all the time. It's all pretty darned rough.
Sliders fix 95% of your problems. But they can't fix the slow catcher reactions. I am to the point when there is runner on base I am afraid to throw a ball in dirt even with Molina catching because it almost always results in wild pitch and runner advance.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Sliders fix 95% of your problems. But they can't fix the slow catcher reactions. I am to the point when there is runner on base I am afraid to throw a ball in dirt even with Molina catching because it almost always results in wild pitch and runner advance.
Sliders fix nothing in Conquest, where you have to choose present difficulties. They don't get Matt Carpenter to stop dropping routine popups (which he did in back-to-back games). The don't stop the constant sliding catches in the OF or jump throws from infielders when the game requires you to play with broken mechanics.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil frier
Sliders fix nothing in Conquest, where you have to choose present difficulties. They don't get Matt Carpenter to stop dropping routine popups (which he did in back-to-back games). The don't stop the constant sliding catches in the OF or jump throws from infielders when the game requires you to play with broken mechanics.
Don't play Conquest sorry was referring to Franchise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Don't play Conquest sorry was referring to Franchise
Yeah, I'm waiting on the forum rosters before I do Franchise. Sliders might fix atrocious stock play there, but they don't fix the mess that is contracts and minors!
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Wish I recorded the video of last nights game, Cubs (me) vs. Brewers (CPU).

Runner on third for Brewers and I threw a low curve trying to get the batter to chase the pitch in the dirt for the third strike to get out of the inning. Batter let's it go, catcher blocks it and deflects to first base dug-out. I don't recall who the runner was, but speed was about mid 60's. The ball did not even make it past the dirt circle around home plate (didn't reach grass). The runner made it home before the catcher could stand up, get to the ball, and throw to pitcher covering home. I understand if this was a speedy runner and ball got a good bounce off the catcher block, but, it was only 4-5 steps away and not even close at the plate.

I hope they do look into this and adjust some of it. Maybe it has to do with catcher ratings, but, I'm thinking its mostly gameplay issue. I could be wrong though. (I am using OSFM rosters as well).
Old 04-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #24
Rookie

I'm playing with auto-baserunning and my runners advance on wild pitches at least 3 times every game.

I think that the problem is the unrealistic reaction time of the runners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »