Home

Base stealing.

This is a discussion on Base stealing. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Base stealing.

I seem to get thrown out every time. In fact I'm last in the league. Given, I'm the Cubs and I don't have a lot of speed. But how do you guys steal successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Base stealing.

I steal the same as I always have, tap L1 then L2. Although I rarely steal in games.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Pro

zukes's Arena

OVR: 7

In the past I just pre-loaded and it was accurate. Not this year, now I have to hold L2 and let go when the pitcher starts his delivery to be above 40%. I have no idea now how to steal with runners on 1st and 3rd and have a chance.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
I steal the same as I always have, tap L1 then L2. Although I rarely steal in games.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
This, except with some fast guys I'll steal without an L1 lead. It can be done even on fastballs, and according to this Showtrack, the lead you get is still pretty good (note Toles does not take a step from the default lead in the live gameplay):

Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I typically dont tap L1 to get a lead if I only have a guy on 1st base. I dont need to with Billy Hamilton, as he is usually safe even on pitch outs.

Ive always found no matter who the runner was if I took that extra step the CPU would always throw over. Maybe they dont happen this yr, so I will have to try, because Ive noticed unless its Billy stealing the base, In usually get thrown out, even with Peraza, and he is quite fast, rated 83 in game I think.

It does seem stealing isnt quite as easy this yr, I thought in the past stealing 2nd was a tad to easy with most players.

1 thing I have noticed is I can pick off the CPU this yr, not sure how 16 was, but the previous few years that part was broken, and you could never pick the CPU runner off 1st base.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I typically dont tap L1 to get a lead if I only have a guy on 1st base. I dont need to with Billy Hamilton, as he is usually safe even on pitch outs.

Ive always found no matter who the runner was if I took that extra step the CPU would always throw over. Maybe they dont happen this yr, so I will have to try, because Ive noticed unless its Billy stealing the base, In usually get thrown out, even with Peraza, and he is quite fast, rated 83 in game I think.

It does seem stealing isnt quite as easy this yr, I thought in the past stealing 2nd was a tad to easy with most players.

1 thing I have noticed is I can pick off the CPU this yr, not sure how 16 was, but the previous few years that part was broken, and you could never pick the CPU runner off 1st base.
TBH I think this might be what causes the feeling of the CPU being "psychic" when it comes guessing your attempted steals. It does, in fact, throw over a lot when you take that extra step, even this year. My guess is that people are trying to steal after they take that step, but regardless of whether they were going to steal or not the AI is throwing over because they've taken that aggressive leadoff. If people frequently leadoff with L1, then of course they're going to feel like the AI is attempting to pick off to much.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
This, except with some fast guys I'll steal without an L1 lead. It can be done even on fastballs, and according to this Showtrack, the lead you get is still pretty good (note Toles does not take a step from the default lead in the live gameplay):

Yeah I do that with very elite guys sometimes.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes
In the past I just pre-loaded and it was accurate. Not this year, now I have to hold L2 and let go when the pitcher starts his delivery to be above 40%. I have no idea now how to steal with runners on 1st and 3rd and have a chance.
So does that work? Because when I hold the button this year and time the jump well, the guy still waits around to go like I didn't do anything.

- Rick Wise
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »