Home

I need help in the offseason

This is a discussion on I need help in the offseason within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8
I need help in the offseason

Just started my offseason and I need to resign a bunch of my guys but with the new budget system and player morale, I'm getting confused...

I basically need suggestions with HOW to resign my players...
Do I...
A. Resign them to what their player morale expectation is?
B. Resign them to the "ideal" contract suggestion?
C. Somewhere in the middle?
D. Pick and choose the above options with certain players?

Any advice would help, I'm just kind of stuck at the moment. I haven't even gotten to the actual free agents yet...

Thanks fellas.

EDIT:
Also, do you guys usually buyout the remaining arb years with your young stars (Betts, Bogaerts, etc for me) or go year-to-year?

Last edited by TGov; 06-01-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: I need help in the offseason

I do option D.

How I resign my own players is based on the individual and what they are asking.

I rarely buyout remaining arb years on players, but have occasionally. I generally like to go year to year when it comes to players who are still under "control".

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Sorry for double post, and you may already know this, but keep in mind that you do not have to fill the interest meter completely full to get a player to sign with you.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Rookie

jmcole33's Arena

OVR: 0

@Countryboy - is there a particular reason you go year to year for players under control? Is there a benefit or are you doing it for realism? Is it accurate to say that "buying out" their remaining years will most likely give you them at a cheaper rate over the remainder of their contract?

Thanks
4 World Series Titles - 2016, 2019, 2021, 2022
Last Season 2024: Lost to Cubs in NLDS 3-1
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcole33
@Countryboy - is there a particular reason you go year to year for players under control? Is there a benefit or are you doing it for realism? Is it accurate to say that "buying out" their remaining years will most likely give you them at a cheaper rate over the remainder of their contract?

Thanks
I don't like losing control of a player to the point where if a guy has a breakout year then I sign him to a long term contract and then it turns out to be a one year fluke. I want the ability to release/let go of a player without penalty, or having to find a trade partner if he starts to perform poorly.

I would think that buying out a players arbitration years would provide you a discount, but honestly I haven't done it in a while to know for sure.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcole33

Thanks
Morale does create a downside to buying out a player's arbitration years, particularly players who have not finished developing. I have ran into an issue with Greg Bird and Aaron Judge where I bought out their arbitration years at a relatively fair cost. However, they both shot up in overall and now expect to be paid higher as a result and I cannot give them more money. Thus they are unhappy and take a morale hit.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

It's easier to buy out a players arb years in the game than it is in real life. Sometimes you get a discount but often not. e.g. A guy like Kris Bryant would demand a big contract if you go into his arb years, even in the game.

There was a pretty good post on here about what order you should be signing and releasing guys to ensure you have enough cash to sign the last few guys (and arb guys). Pretty sure it was in a thread titled "how does the new budget screen work".

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-02-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

I wish that someone with knowledge of how this all works would update this old thread http://www.operationsports.com/forum...offseason.html into what we are dealing with now, or is it basically the same other than the morale system? Baseball's off-season is so confusing to me.
#WeAreND

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »