Home

Do you utilize the strategy of the shift?

This is a discussion on Do you utilize the strategy of the shift? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do you use the strategy of the shift defense?
YES 19 55.88%
NO 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Do you utilize the strategy of the shift?

I use it almost every game, based on the tendencies from the pause menu.

Hit the Directional Pad to call up the Player Movement Screen, and then hit Triangle, to call up the percentages of where the player's spray chart indicates a defensive maneuver.

I very much play the percentages, and there is just nothing better than moving the infield to the Extreme Right shift, and having the heavy-hitting lefty ground out to the second baseman sitting in the right-field pocket.

The caveat to this is making sure you pitch in accordance to your shift play. Pulling the entire infield over the the right to cover the pull-hitter, and then pounding the zone with fastballs away, is a recipe for doubles and extra bases.

Want to shift on the righty power-hitter, and make him pay for his inability to take a ball the other way? Pound him inside, and then drop a deuce on him to get him to make a weak roller to the left.

The one thing I often do is hedge my bet on the Extreme Right shirt, and I highlight my third baseman, and have him hug the third base line. With one guy on the left side, the chances of making a play on a ball hit the opposite way are slim anyway, so I protect against the extra base, and stick to that line, and every now and then I get lucky and the lefty hits an oppo-rocket, and my 3B makes the play.

Because I play with the clean screen always, I allow myself a pregame scouting for each batter, and I write down the lineup, I chart my pitch locations to stay away from, and I decide whether or not I need to shift, or play a tendency situation-ally.

After the first at bat, I no longer peek, and have to rely on real-life stuff that I know about each hitter, or based on my notes and scouting intel from the first rack.

I love the ability to not only shift, but to shift specific players and positions, and I use it every game.
~syf
Old 07-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
OuttaNaptown

punx317's Arena

OVR: 0

I shift infield especially situationally but i usually keep my outfielders straight up or deep. For big time games I set players individually

Sent from my B3-A30 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #19
MVP

forme95's Arena

Do the %age change throughout the year, or are they fixed?

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #20
MVP

Syce's Arena

i do occasionally, but i have been finding that my team is much better defensively without the need for the shift.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Do the %age change throughout the year, or are they fixed?
Static, and frankly I don't think they have any gameplay impact. Just the label of pull, extreme pull, push, balanced, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #22
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I always wanted to set shifts before first pitch, but I found issues with that when faced with a double play situation. (I need to manually set the shift back). Since I sometimes forget to set the shift, playing with Auto-shifting always seemed the safest bet.

I was wondering though, does changing the shift setting to manual make it easier to manage? Or will I just get caught with my pants down a few times.

I really wish we could scout players and set permanent shift strategies between games on guys we have scouted. It's really annoying having to change the shift every game/AB/situation manually. Wish we could do the same to our own guys... my batting averages would be lower (and more realistic) if teams just played the shift against certain people in my lineup.
Yeah it does cause some issues for sure. Sometimes I'll get a shift for the next guy in the lineup put on for the guy hitting and I give up easy hits if I don't see it.

I have it on manual and I get caught sometimes. I'm pretty used to checking the bottom corner for what shift is on, but sometimes that's wrong so I have to recheck. It's a bit tedious and annoying, but I think it's cool playing with guys in different positions and it makes me feel really smart when it works and a guy hits right into my shift haha.

Watch me play video games
Old 07-07-2017, 03:19 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

when the defense shifts I dont change their positioning back and I usually dont even notice they have shifted. I also dont change my approach to the hitter. Maybe I should but I havent experienced the batter beating the shift an inordinate amount of times. Because of that I voted ''No'' but maybe I voted wrong. I think I need to start paying attention more to what the fielders behind me are doing.when it comes to hitting I dont normall try to beat the shift by altering my approach to the plate. I just let the chips fall where they may and swing away, though if I have a speedy hitter I might try a bunt down third on the first pitch.

A Work in Progress
Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

Depending on the mode. I use it when playing against the CPU in regular game, or season. I began to turn it off when playing DD online. Mostly because all the late swinging / oppo hits with great contact ends up hurting the auto shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
PUBG
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2019/20
COD Warzone
TheHunter Call of the Wild
Cricket 19

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »