Home

New Patch?

This is a discussion on New Patch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: New Patch?

Where do you choose the 4k option?
Old 11-29-2017, 05:56 PM   #10
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil33
Where do you choose the 4k option?
It's at the top of presentation options. You can even view it in the regular version of PS4, it'll just be blacked out/won't do anything.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #11
Rookie

elfdutch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
4k mode can still provide benefits to a 1080p screen, with higher density textures, anti-aliasing, and a technique called super-sampling, where mapping out a higher resolution frame can lead to a much sharper image on a lower resolution screen.

As to the game feeling smoother, I'd say you're crazy, though it is possible. When it comes to frames, consistency is more important than top FPS. In framerate mode, I do still notice the odd hitch during scene transitions (probably caused by the engine itself). A lower frame rate might make these hitches indistinguishable.

Mind you I'm also a PCMR guy who is use to a 144hrz monitor, so my eyes are tuned a little more finely (and yes, you can train your eyes just like any other part of your body), so maybe I'm a little more sensitive to this stuff, and I'd find 4k mode unbearable.

One thing I will tell you: I just upgraded to a PS4Pro myself a few days ago, and while I love it, I found it made the game way harder. In framerate mode, it's way harder to identify a pitch, since before there was a larger delta in ball position between frames thanks to the slower framerate. I'm going to have to re-learn how to see pitches.

I do believe this was always available though I only think HDR is locked off for TVs that don't support it.
So it wasn't the patch, but has always been available. I guess i just always went for the better framerate option.

Interesting what you say about it being harder on the pro.
I have been playing on the pro for a while now, but since i have switched to 4k mode (on a non-4k tv) i find timing my hitting more difficult.
I seem to be late in most cases.

Perhaps it's just a slump but this is how it feels to me.
And i checked again today, but 4k really does look better on my hd tv.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfdutch
Interesting what you say about it being harder on the pro.
I have been playing on the pro for a while now, but since i have switched to 4k mode (on a non-4k tv) i find timing my hitting more difficult.
I seem to be late in most cases.

Perhaps it's just a slump but this is how it feels to me.
This actually makes some sense. Any time you mess with the framerate of the game, you'll have trouble adjusting. Whether you're conscious of it or not, your eyes identify the pitch based on the difference between frames as the pitch comes in. You mess with that difference, and you create a situation where you have to re-train yourself.

For example, I've been early a LOT since upgrading to the PS4 Pro, since my sub-conscious is still telling me: When the ball looks like *this*, that is when you swing.

Fastballs, off-speed, I'm early on most of it. Even 98 MPH which I used to find impossible to catch up to. My instincts haven't adjusted to the new environment. Even identifying pitch location has changed entirely for me.

I do think that framerate mode will, in the long run, be the best mode. You'll have consistency between stadiums in terms of framerate, leading to a more stable environment to teach yourself to identify and time pitches.

Lower frame rates will likely make pitches easier to identify, just like higher frame rates likely make pitches easier to catch up to.

All that being said, I'd probably still use HDR mode if I had the option.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
the last one might have been just to advert for show 18 on the scoreboards?
I cant really find any other info for 1.12 or 1.13
This is what I was thinking. It's the only thing that has changed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »