Home

The Best Gameplay of 2017? MLB The Show 17

This is a discussion on The Best Gameplay of 2017? MLB The Show 17 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
No love for PES?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #18
MVP

Re: The Best Gameplay of 2017? MLB The Show 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Yeah I gotta agree with Nemesis. There was some nice improvements to gameplay, but it didn't feel well balanced at all. Must have been a weak year for sport videogames in the gameplay department.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I guess it depends somewhat on what mode you play but it also reveals the extent to which people can look at the same thing and draw different conclusions.

The ball curve produced more of a variety in hits but for some odd reason they decided to have fly balls down both foul lines to curve wildly foul instead of landing fair for a hit. The author complained about lack of perfection from infielders when the new AI made them unrealistically good to the point where below average infielders make all star plays frequently.

Perhaps in 2018 they will adjust the things they implemented but didn't get quite right. For me it depends on what I see in the gameplay video whether or not I'm a buyer this year.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:03 PM   #19
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I guess it depends somewhat on what mode you play but it also reveals the extent to which people can look at the same thing and draw different conclusions.

The ball curve produced more of a variety in hits but for some odd reason they decided to have fly balls down both foul lines to curve wildly foul instead of landing fair for a hit. The author complained about lack of perfection from infielders when the new AI made them unrealistically good to the point where below average infielders make all star plays frequently.

Perhaps in 2018 they will adjust the things they implemented but didn't get quite right. For me it depends on what I see in the gameplay video whether or not I'm a buyer this year.
Yeah I agree. Sometimes the ball curves are really nice, other times way overdone. Also I can't count hoe many times I've gotten "good" timing only to pull it foul.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #20
Rookie

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the MVP series has the smoothest defense for baseball games.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM   #21
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Left Shark
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the MVP series has the smoothest defense for baseball games.
I agree with that when it comes to manual defense. It was awesome. Fielding on MVP 2005 was fantastic and fun.

But the animations were no where near The Show so there is the give and take of ultra realism vs total control.

It is why I play auto fielding and manual throwing. The game is silky smooth when you do that.

Anyway.....I voted for The Show 17. It is the best sports game I have ever played. I have not stopped playing since release. And will be playing all the way up to 18 no doubt.

The Show is the only sports game I continually do that with.

I am sure 18 will be even better.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Yeah I agree. Sometimes the ball curves are really nice, other times way overdone. Also I can't count hoe many times I've gotten "good" timing only to pull it foul.

I use manage mode so I see the game in its purest form as programmed with no human input.

I noticed this in the author's review: Now if they could only fix some of the slower throwing motions and tagging mechanics, they might actually approach perfection.

I appreciate the new fielder AI but I disagree with the author's assertion/wish it should "approach perfection". Shortstop sprinting toward the left field foul line field a ball and throw perfectly across their body to record the out at first base. I've seen pitchers field a ball with their momentum carrying them into foul territory throw the runner out at first base.

The new fielder AI was a good idea but like the ball spin they took it too far. It shouldn't be "perfection" because that makes it an arcade game - unless an arcade game is what you consider great gameplay.

Not bashing the author just the differences in how people play the game and what they see as good or bad gameplay.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
Pro

IHateDuke32's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I agree with that when it comes to manual defense. It was awesome. Fielding on MVP 2005 was fantastic and fun.

But the animations were no where near The Show so there is the give and take of ultra realism vs total control.

It is why I play auto fielding and manual throwing. The game is silky smooth when you do that.

Anyway.....I voted for The Show 17. It is the best sports game I have ever played. I have not stopped playing since release. And will be playing all the way up to 18 no doubt.

The Show is the only sports game I continually do that with.

I am sure 18 will be even better.
Same here A&S. I'm a football junkie so I always get sucked into buying Madden when it comes out. However, I'm usually pretty let down by that game and don't play it that much. Maybe some day I'll learn my lesson and won't buy it.

I love basketball as well. But other than the Bulls and Salukis, I don't watch much basketball these days besides the NCAA Tournament. Since the Bulls have been pretty mediocre to bad, my hype level for the NBA playoffs the past couple of seasons has been pretty minimal. Especially when you know it's going to be G.S. vs Cleveland in the Finals anyways. I think I play more basketball than I watch these days, which is a shame because I love basketball. I always buy NBA 2K and enjoy it quite a bit, but again I never get too into it because I'm too busy watching football or playing the Show, anticipating baseball season.

Then there's baseball. It's pretty close with football, but I think baseball takes the cake for me. There's nothing better than being at the ballpark on a nice summer day, drinking a cold beer, eating a hot dog, and watching the White Sox (hopefully) win haha. Even when I'm at home, I have MLB.tv to watch the Rockies and any other game that might have a good pitching matchup, along with the Sox on the tube.

This is where the Show comes in. Like A&S, it's the only game I buy each year and play until the new version comes out. There is so much depth in this game as far as game modes to keep you interested, and I just love baseball. Quick counts are awesome. I usually have 3-4 franchises going at the same time with different teams, as well as dabbling in other modes such as RttS and Diamond Dynasty. I can't wait for '18 to drop.

Now just put my dude Nolan on the cover for '19!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »