Home

secondary positions and oop

This is a discussion on secondary positions and oop within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
secondary positions and oop

Wondering if someone can clear this up for me. What type of a ratings hit does a player get for playing at a secondary position? Which attributes are affected?

I read a pretty good article here explaining that a player playing completely out of position, it's a lot more complicated than a simple X amount decrease to his ratings. There's a lot of logic to it. A ss playing 2nd does pretty well at 2nd even if it's not listed as a secondary, same with a CF playing RF or LF for instance. While a guy playing catcher who doesn't have catcher listed will take a pretty big hit. I like that, makes a lot of sense.

One thing I'd like to see in the future is a 'dynamic' effect taking place in season or franchise modes. I'll use my own franchise example to explain. Right now, I've got 3 primary CF, Cain, Chris Taylor, and Dyson. Since Taylor doesn't have LF or RF listed, I've been playing him primarily at CF and moving Cain to LF and Dyson often to RF. What I think would be ideal is, the more I play them at those positions, the more comfortable they get with it, and their ratings adjust automatically. To the point that at some point, their primary may even change if it's clear that they're getting considerably more time at the new position than the previous primary position. This would solve issues like the Mariners picking up Dee Gordon and playing him at CF where he's never played before...there might be a learning curve, but once he adjusts he should be just fine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: secondary positions and oop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradusketch
Wondering if someone can clear this up for me. What type of a ratings hit does a player get for playing at a secondary position? Which attributes are affected?

I read a pretty good article here explaining that a player playing completely out of position, it's a lot more complicated than a simple X amount decrease to his ratings. There's a lot of logic to it. A ss playing 2nd does pretty well at 2nd even if it's not listed as a secondary, same with a CF playing RF or LF for instance. While a guy playing catcher who doesn't have catcher listed will take a pretty big hit. I like that, makes a lot of sense.

One thing I'd like to see in the future is a 'dynamic' effect taking place in season or franchise modes. I'll use my own franchise example to explain. Right now, I've got 3 primary CF, Cain, Chris Taylor, and Dyson. Since Taylor doesn't have LF or RF listed, I've been playing him primarily at CF and moving Cain to LF and Dyson often to RF. What I think would be ideal is, the more I play them at those positions, the more comfortable they get with it, and their ratings adjust automatically. To the point that at some point, their primary may even change if it's clear that they're getting considerably more time at the new position than the previous primary position. This would solve issues like the Mariners picking up Dee Gordon and playing him at CF where he's never played before...there might be a learning curve, but once he adjusts he should be just fine.
I would love to see the game add some of these features in too. For now, you can of course just change a guy's position in roster management for a quick fix. BTW, I traded for Gordon in 2018 with my Cubs and moved him to CF, and he was really good.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

I like the general idea of playing an outfielder as a catcher will be disastrous. I liked when they tried Springer on second base and the guy is terrible turning a double play.

But in last stream when they played Ted Williams at first and he’s dropping 4 easy throws out of five, i found it a bit exaggerated.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 PM   #4
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

when you put people out of place on the lineup on CPU teams, the CPU has a hissy fit and in the first innings burns a bench spot and replaces them, this can be a pain in the arse. especially for guys that have a lot of secondly positions

I am pretty sure they lock this feature for us all because of RTTS they don't want us to create a guy that can play every single position, which makes me nervous that 2 way players with otani will be in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »