Home

MLB The Show 18: Four Upgrades We're Thrilled About

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18: Four Upgrades We're Thrilled About within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18: Four Upgrades We're Thrilled About

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
So, where are you going with this?
Just quoting the original author who was upset because his catcher made a good throw and the runner was safe - and pointing out a previous article in which he advocates for more arcade style gameplay. Don't take my word for it. Click on the author's name and you can see the article for yourself.

By the way, base stealers don't steal on the catcher. They steal on the pitcher. Lou Brock didn't care who the catcher was. If he got a good jump the throw didn't matter. Therefore the op was incorrect to assert his catcher's throw would result in a guaranteed out. Of course that assumes realism. In arcade mode it might be the case, I don't know.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #34
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Just quoting the original author who was upset because his catcher made a good throw and the runner was safe - and pointing out a previous article in which he advocates for more arcade style gameplay. Don't take my word for it. Click on the author's name and you can see the article for yourself.

By the way, base stealers don't steal on the catcher. They steal on the pitcher. Lou Brock didn't care who the catcher was. If he got a good jump the throw didn't matter. Therefore the op was incorrect to assert his catcher's throw would result in a guaranteed out. Of course that assumes realism. In arcade mode it might be the case, I don't know.
I think what he's getting at is if his catcher makes a throw and the throw beats the runner, the runner should be out. Not just that because his catcher is good the runner should be out. That doesn't make the assertion any more correct because we know that fielders miss tags due to unique slides.

My concern is that the tag system will be too good. The slides are all exactly the same according to the videos, with the exception of the headfirst slide into the plate. The slides were already an issue in the past because the animations are slow and there's really no attempt to avoid a tag. Even the hook slide is limited in its effectiveness. If fielders are much better at tagging now, I'm afraid unless the runner is already at the bag by the time the throw gets there, they will be out.

So, tessl, I agree with your concern. Just disagree with your assessment of the writer's point.

Watch me play video games
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #35
MVP

forme95's Arena

Just thought of this as I am playing Spring yr 2 in my franchise. Spring options to turn off extra innings and turn DH on just for spring.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #36
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl

I see what you're saying. I was taking it as, that he meant there needed to be more arcade style games, but advocating for The Show to be more arcade is just silly, there is an arcade mode in there already called Retro Mode.

It's a Sim game. And that is why the majority of us enjoy it.

Sent from Tatooine using Tapatalk

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 03-12-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
If these are the 4 upgrades that people are most excited about I think I'm going to pass on this year's game. Seems like I've been hearing about overhauls to batted balls every release since the move to PS4
Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I think what he's getting at is if his catcher makes a throw and the throw beats the runner, the runner should be out. Not just that because his catcher is good the runner should be out. That doesn't make the assertion any more correct because we know that fielders miss tags due to unique slides.

My concern is that the tag system will be too good. The slides are all exactly the same according to the videos, with the exception of the headfirst slide into the plate. The slides were already an issue in the past because the animations are slow and there's really no attempt to avoid a tag. Even the hook slide is limited in its effectiveness. If fielders are much better at tagging now, I'm afraid unless the runner is already at the bag by the time the throw gets there, they will be out.

So, tessl, I agree with your concern. Just disagree with your assessment of the writer's point.
Perhaps he should have made his point more clearly then because he said he made a good throw and it should have been a "guaranteed out". His words, not mine. Runners steal all the time on good throws. Bench was probably the best ever and he only threw out around 40% of runners.

We share the same concern about the new tag system. I quit playing the show 17 in June. If you check my post history on this forum you will see that is also the time I quit posting here. A few weeks ago I decided to play a couple games in manage mode - default sliders. In 2 games I lost 4 runners at home plate. The example they showed of the new tag system in the first stream was a runner in the show 17 who was safe at the plate and on the exact same play that runner is now out at the plate thanks to the new tag system. Guaranteed out?

It's their game and they can do whatever they want but the last thing I want is more arcade gameplay. I'll watch the franchise stream. Best case scenario we get a long look at gameplay.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
The Show's fielding ratings feel broad stroke in nature. It's either on or off and you do not feel the nuances all the positions have to give the game diversity. Each position requires a different skill set and each of those skills really need to be rated in order to emulate the player's ability properly. There also needs to be some type of learning mechanism built into fielding so players can be groomed to play other positions. I also think there should be some type of situational awareness rating for how well the player knows the position which would increase the more he plays the position on a regular basis.

Curious to see if this years fielding will feel different from player to player with the adjustments and not just the dumbing down effects.

Agreed. I think if they adopted the OOTP approach, even if it's under the hood and you had to feel it out through play/eye test, it would add in the learning curve/experience as well as the nuance of positional skill set.

After all, OOTP has the same "general skills" but they apply to the positions differently in forming the position rating (emulating the nuance/positional differences) and the experience factor.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »