Home

MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #97
Rookie

Jon Arbuckle's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 RTTS Twitch Stream Starting Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I think, for most players, barring injury, that the average to making it to the majors as a starter is late in year 2 or early in year 3.

Year one is usually split between AA and AAA.
Year two is usually spent in AAA with a possible call up for the expanded rosters.
Year three you are usually on the ML roster if you have been smart with your training points.

I have been through this with about 10 different players over the years. Sure it may not be realistic to advance quickly but it gets really tiring grinding through the minors.
That's generally been my path to the majors as well. I personally love promotions to any level so more steps along the way would be a plus for me. And I seriously doubt the licenses required for A ball and lower can really be that expensive. Fully recreating a realistic player arc with/against licensed teams every step of the way would be awesome.

Really, I'm all for making it harder to become and remain a 99 player. But the means they went about it seems unnecessarily punitive to me. Not sure I'd have ever had the incentive to finish out a 25 year career if this kind of thinking wasn't motivating me along the way:

Last edited by Jon Arbuckle; 03-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #98
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Arbuckle
Late to the party but my own two cents is that the archetype system would be a welcome addition but should not be required when playing RTTS. I just finished a 25 year career in the majors with my pitcher where I finally passed Cy Young's win total in my retirement year while picking up five rings along the way. It was a very satisfying grind. No money spent boosting my player either. I see no reason why others should be denied being able to do this in years to come. Do the developers not realize this is the prime selling point for some (many?) of us when it comes to simulating a full length career?

As far as 'realism' goes, Mike Trouts and Clayton Kershaws do exist. One change that might keep everyone from just jumping into a guaranteed HOF career but still keeping the option open is to have players play a full season in a high school league (one new stadium would suffice) and start their career path based on how they perform during that year. Kind of like the scout session we've had in previous years but more realistic and with a larger sample size to work with.

There are other more pressing changes that would improve RTTS's realism:

1 Starting your minor league career lower than AA. Use generic teams if necessary.
2 Greater ability to push for trades and negotiate contracts when you're a free agent. For example, teams would invariably offer me the max contract for a set number of years but never give me a player option regardless of how low I set my salary demand. And of course there are zero contract incentives in the game.
3 Higher likelihood of injury. I ended up manually lowering my durability at the tail end of my career both for the sake of realism and also to relieve the grind of playing a full season year after year. I eventually missed 4 games (no starts) but that was it. This was after years of lowering my durability from around 110 to 50.
4 More realistic player decline. I never would have declined at all had I not chosen to start hoarding points rather than using them. Also started skipping ST and training sessions halfway through my career. I'm retiring at 45 and I'm pretty sure I could have still been 99's across the board had I wanted to.
5 Better announcer, crowd and social media reactions to historic achievements. Took me a very long time to get my perfect game and while I myself was thrilled, nobody else seemed to be. I even got freaking no-hitter in a WS game and nobody seemed to recognize how ridiculous it was. Worst of all were the final steps towards breaking Cy Young's wins record: I don't think a single game was sold out, not even my home games (and we're a contender!). I think 6000 came to see me try to tie the record at GABP. Hopefully their improved crowd logic fixes this.
6 Better tracking of personal/team achievements and league performance in general. Not nearly enough focus is given to simulated/earned dynasties & legends in the game.
7 Ability to override stupid decisions made by management. Dumb trades can be fixed by loading an earlier save but nonsensical in-game decisions and five man rotations in the postseason are set in stone.

I'll end by saying I fully welcome the new system of applying points earned and lost to where you play well and poorly. I actually don't see why that new way of doing things doesn't eliminate the need for archetypes in and of itself. I know I'm not equally good at all aspects of the game and it would seem like the new points progression would end up reflecting that.
You totally get it. These are things I've wanted for years too that I've pretty much given up hope on which is evident by my play time with this game. I do agree the archetypes is a fun new and flashy concept, but I'm mainly concerned with these other things. But losing attributes based on performance is a nice improvement for the mode and will likely lead to a purchase this year.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 AM   #99
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolenz
I think, for most players, barring injury, that the average to making it to the majors as a starter is late in year 2 or early in year 3.

Year one is usually split between AA and AAA.
Year two is usually spent in AAA with a possible call up for the expanded rosters.
Year three you are usually on the ML roster if you have been smart with your training points.

I have been through this with about 10 different players over the years. Sure it may not be realistic to advance quickly but it gets really tiring grinding through the minors.
Yes this is what I have found as well, and why I have started a pitcher now and will stop when I get to AAA for the import in as I think we will be working a bit harder from now on

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »