Home

The Magic Of Baseball and What it means to you.

This is a discussion on The Magic Of Baseball and What it means to you. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #17
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Magic Of Baseball and What it means to you.

I am going to post about my best friend, whom I know baseball means a great deal to. He has been my friend since we were in pre-school together, at the age of 3 years old. We played baseball together all throughout our childhood (from T-ball, to little league, to Babe Ruth league, to high school). We were the kids in high school that would rather hang together and play video games than go out to a party (from Ken Griffey Jr Slugfest on N64, through Triple Play, World Series 2k, Home Run Kings, up until now The Show).

We are both 32 years old now. I have two children and he just recently had one. We no longer live in the same area, but we keep in touch via Playstation. Up until his recent child we were still playing The Show and chatting with each other constantly. He has not been on much since having his child and I don't know whether he intends to buy the newest version or not, but I think winning it for him would be a pretty cool gift.

Let me explain why baseball means so much to my friend...

He was one of those kids whose father was a huge sports fan, baseball especially. His father was also a big baseball card collector. My friend and his two brothers grew up knowing the history of the game via their father's card collection and stories. His father was also a coach for some of his youth league teams. I know my friend was very close with his father and their mutual love for sports, but especially baseball, was a huge reason why.

Unfortunately, when we were freshmen in college my friend's father was diagnosed with cancer. He deteriorated rather quickly and within about 6 months he passed away. His baseball card collection was passed down to my best friend and his two brothers. They carry on his legacy by continuing to collect baseball cards. He gifts cards to my two boys for their birthdays and my groomsman's gift for being the best man in his wedding was a Mike Trout rookie card.

We don't talk about his father much, if at all, but I know he is greatly missed, and I know the game of baseball has much deeper meaning to my friend than just a game.

I think if this post were to win him a copy of MLB the Show 18 that would be a pretty special gesture to get him to take a little time away from his baby and get him back to enjoying the game he loves, if even just for a brief while. And maybe give him a chance to get that feeling back from when we were young, playing Home Run Kings at his house, able to hear the commentary of the Red Sox game in the room next door as his father watched on the couch.

Last edited by TheBigTee; 03-19-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
Rookie

Surg2k's Arena

Hey Armor, I have the game paid for already but just wanted to share my tale.

Where my love developed- It all started when I was 9 years old. My family had just moved us to Idaho due to my dad getting a job and wanting to help with our religion in the area. I was the new kid in school and life, I always felt like I was an odd kid, but being alone in a rural part of the US probably made it worse. We were poor at the time, like shop at DI, food stamp, enough money for food and rent with the help of family poor. My dad grew up being a huge Yankee fan, and 1996 made me one too. He would take me to Kmart because they had a Little Caesars in the food area and a TV that was always on the sports channel. Throughout that season and for Every Playoff Game my dad took me for a slice of pizza and water. We sat and watched as the Yankees started a Dynasty. From there I fell in love with the game and my dad and Pizza.

My Grandpa also played a huge role in my love of the game. He would call me every day and go over who won and who lost. He would tell me stories of his friends who pitched for the Cardinals and Dodgers and the Cubs. He would take me to the batting cages, to single A Ogden Raptor games. He would buy me a new Glove and help me break it in. He passed away on Game 1 of the 2013 World Series and every year game 1 I listen to the game on the radio as a tribute to his time when that was the norm. I also usually wipe away a tear, except a couple years ago when the Cubs won. That was a full on ugly cry. He would of loved that Series.

My Dad was diagnosed with the same cancer that my Grandpa died of, He has chosen not to get any treatment due to the high risk and low percentage of any thing really helping. This Season may be the last one we have together but I know even if the worst happened Baseball would be there as a reminder of these 2 great men.

I also just found out that my wife and I are pregnant. For the first time. I am so excited to have a little player to be named later to share this unbelievable game with. Right now he/she is due for first week of November. I hope to pop champagne for the Yankees winning the World Series and then a couple weeks later popping champagne for my little guy/girl. I am pushing for Jeter if its a boy and Espn (think aspen) if its a girl.

I love that Baseball can bring us all together, no matter who we root for lets all root for Baseball, the greatest sport in the world.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I took a college course as an elective called the "History of American Baseball". The course wasn't just about the games themselves (i.e. not just about stats) but rather the "Story" of baseball.
Where can I find such a class?

Really love reading all these stories.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by underdog13; 03-20-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OK folks......tomorrow 9PM EST is the deadline to get your story posted. A bunch of great ones so far and it will be tough to choose one.

Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 PM   #21
Rookie

Baseball means so much to me, I have so many fond memories of the game with family and friends alike, my first memory is watching scott brosius dominate the world series with my dad, who was the biggest Yankees fan. I fell in love with the game at an early age. however, my dad was disabled and wasn't able to do the traditional baseball stuff with me, so my mom would take me to A's and Giants games, and would throw me batting practice, would play catch with me etc. My dad was always my biggest fan and biggest critic. When I was 11, I was placed on the new family in towns team for LL and I ended up meeting my best friend of 15 years and his dad who was the coach who played college ball and was a wonderful person. He coached me throughout high school, and was the best coach I have ever had. When I was a senior in high school, my father passed away, and I went on to have my best season of high school as a senior to honor my dad. I ended up going to play in college, and when I was a sophomore I got the unfortunate news that my friends father had passed away. Baseball is a game that over the years formed so many wonderful and great friendships for me, its truly a special game that there isn't anything quite like it.

I was just watching Chasing 3000, the movie about Clemente's 3000th hit, where 2 brothers go cross country to try and see it. Through their adventure, they meet a gentleman who lends them a car to drive the rest of the way, but before that, there is a scene that brought me to tears, the old man is talking about how him and his mom loved Clemente and he had even received a baseball and it was a touching moment in the movie, and made me cry, my wife didn't really understand, and I just explained that baseball is such a beautiful game that had meant so much to me over the years and I've met so many great people and have so many fond memories with family and friends. It's something I hope to share with my kids one day.

Thanks for allowing us all to share these, baseball is a great game and brings us together!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #22
Rookie

Surg2k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwebb48

I was just watching Chasing 3000, the movie about Clemente's 3000th hit, where 2 brothers go cross country to try and see it. Through their adventure, they meet a gentleman who lends them a car to drive the rest of the way, but before that, there is a scene that brought me to tears, the old man is talking about how him and his mom loved Clemente and he had even received a baseball and it was a touching moment in the movie, and made me cry, my wife didn't really understand, and I just explained that baseball is such a beautiful game that had meant so much to me over the years and I've met so many great people and have so many fond memories with family and friends. It's something I hope to share with my kids one day.
I love this! One of my favorite quotes about baseball is from Fever Pitch (Chick flick but baseball related)

"You know what's really great about baseball? You can't fake it. You know, anything else in life you don't have to be great in - business, music, art - I mean you can get lucky.Yeah, you can fool everyone for awhile, you know? It's like - not - not baseball. You can either hit a curveball or you can't. That's the way it works...You can have a lucky day, sure, but you can't have a lucky career. It's a little like math. It's orderly. Win or lose, it's fair. It all adds up. It's, like, not as confusing or as ambiguous as, uh... Life.
I like being part of something that's bigger than me, than I. It's good for your soul to invest in something you can't control."

I feel this way about baseball, its a beautiful sport and honestly its a way of living. Its hard not to be romantic about baseball.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 9

I first set foot on a baseball field at five years old.

My last day on a baseball field (as a player) was in 2007, when my youngest daughter was born.

I played four years of high school, four years of college baseball, five years in Amateur Baseball, and a few years of just-for-fun hardball afterwards.

I've got more stories and trophies and crazy things to talk baseball about until I grow old.

I've got five knee surgeries, and an arm, that after 34 years of pitching, fights with me every day.

But the biggest thing, the best thing, the thing that makes me smile everyday no matter how bad I hurt...

Is that I gave my son my love of baseball.

Smiling at him from the mound after a particularly nasty pitch.

Hearing him tell me, "That was Awesome!," after I threw a complete game while he and his mother watched from the bleachers.

Seeing the tears in his eyes when I walked off the field after being hit in the head with a line drive.

But my greatest accomplishment didn't come from any of my days on the field.

My greatest moment in baseball came when the kid who loves this game like I love it, walked over to me after striking out the side in the last game of the season of his freshman year of high school.

The team gave him the game ball, and he walked over and handed it to me, gave me a hug, and said, "Thanks Dad".

To me, the magic of the game is not always what you do while you play it, but how you keep that ember glowing long after the fire has cooled.

I've passed the torch, and I can't wait to watch him run with it.
~syf
Old 03-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #24
Rookie

NinjaGigolo's Arena

Baseball is everything. I grew up in South Carolina about 2hours from Atlanta. I was 9 in 1991. That should explain everything.

I have coached my sons team the last two years but last year suffered a stroke and was diagnosed with severe heart failure the day after taking him to his first braves game.

I have had to stop the coaching but tonight was without question the best Baseball moment in my life.

My son was selected to start pitcher in the opening game. It was like watching Maddux all over again. He doesn’t have the best arm but he does not throw balls, like ever. In two innings he walked 0 and struck out 5. He also drove in the first and only run we’d need.

Knowing I only have about 5 years left and will likely not get to see him play high school, I had to hide in the bathroom and have a meltdown.

P.S. already paid for game. Didn’t realize this was a contest. Just wanted to share. Kinda made Be feel a little better.

Last edited by NinjaGigolo; 03-22-2018 at 05:58 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »