Home

Feelings about manually editing ratings?

This is a discussion on Feelings about manually editing ratings? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Rookie

MoneyMan17's Arena

OVR: 0
Feelings about manually editing ratings?

I've wondered about this for a long time and don't think I have ever seen it discussed on here.

I was wanting to know what everybody thinks about manually editing players ratings to make it, in your opinion, more realistic.

Is it a hard no and you are dead set against ever touching a single rating no matter what and taking what the game gives you? Or is it totally acceptable to edit a players ratings if you feel they are drastically over or underperforming based on real life? Or somewhere in between? Is it ok in some certain situations?

For example, I believe Aaron Judge began last season with power ratings in the 70s. So would you feel ok going in midseason and bumping them up to 90s?

Or what about a scenario where a guy doesn't necessarily over perform in the way Judge did but you just feel he isn't rated fairly or accurately? An example of this would be that I feel in '18 Didi Gregorius is vastly underrated. He broke Derek Jeter's record for home runs in a season by a Yankee SS and his power ratings are 58 vs righties and 40 vs lefties. IMO he should be over 70 vs right and over 60 vs left.

What do you all do and how does everyone feel about it? I personally will give a player a bump if there is a huge difference in their in game performance vs real life, but I always do feel a little guilty about it.

Interested to hear what others think about this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 2
Re: Feelings about manually editing ratings?

I've done this in the past and I actually think I made it worse. One of the lessons I have learned over the years is to not compare the results of my games with the real world. With that said, I did lower Ohtani in MLB 18 to be a 72 OVR. Until he can prove that he can actually pitch at the major league level in the real world, I don't want him skewing the results of my Franchise.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMan17
I've wondered about this for a long time and don't think I have ever seen it discussed on here.

I was wanting to know what everybody thinks about manually editing players ratings to make it, in your opinion, more realistic.

Is it a hard no and you are dead set against ever touching a single rating no matter what and taking what the game gives you? Or is it totally acceptable to edit a players ratings if you feel they are drastically over or underperforming based on real life? Or somewhere in between? Is it ok in some certain situations?

For example, I believe Aaron Judge began last season with power ratings in the 70s. So would you feel ok going in midseason and bumping them up to 90s?

Or what about a scenario where a guy doesn't necessarily over perform in the way Judge did but you just feel he isn't rated fairly or accurately? An example of this would be that I feel in '18 Didi Gregorius is vastly underrated. He broke Derek Jeter's record for home runs in a season by a Yankee SS and his power ratings are 58 vs righties and 40 vs lefties. IMO he should be over 70 vs right and over 60 vs left.

What do you all do and how does everyone feel about it? I personally will give a player a bump if there is a huge difference in their in game performance vs real life, but I always do feel a little guilty about it.

Interested to hear what others think about this.
I guess it depends on what kind of game you have going but I'll tell you how I look at it in my situation.

First: its a video game. If you purchased the game to play for your entertainment you should be able to do what you wish to enjoy it. I've seen a few threads for the various sports games about what it 'right' or 'wrong' vs the CPU....it's just a game. If you are playing against other people and giving yourself an unfair edge that's different, but for your own enjoyment just set up the game as you wish. Ok, i'll get off my soapbox now.

For me I play franchise only, I control all 30 teams but generally manage the Yankee lineup. I've carried the franchise over from 14 with an OS roster so while doing a good job not everything is as realistic as it could be. So Judge was in the system and eventually last year got to AAA and MLB. As I saw his progression in real-life, I did up his power and vision (I think). Likewise over the years as I saw players like Correa and Altuve come to maturity I have tweak their ratings as well. I will do the same over the years with draft picks that have come into my game (re-named per real-life picks) and mature with particular traits (a great glove no stick player will get improved fielding but I'll take his batting traits down a bit). However I generally don't touch guys like Didi who have had a track record in my franchise even if they have a breakout year in real life. Some guys do get better over time that does not reflect real life but that's just how it is. Others decline so fast in the game. Of course playing with the most recent rosters you hope would be more close to real-life so if they missed on Judge or Didi or Benentendi (sp?) it makes sense to edit a bit anyone you see fit.

Hope that helps. Like I said if you aren't taking advantage others in your game play then I think altering the game for your own enjoyment is fine. It is YOUR game, after all.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

I'll mainly just edit like physical attributes of guys usually.

Like speed, arm strength, etc.

The only time I bump up the hitting or pitching ratings is if they are having a really good season in my chises. Their performance in the outside world has no bearing on mine.

So for example let's use Acuna Jr. On the roster I currently have he's like all 60s in hitting, so if he was to be raking come say June or July or so I'd probably bump him up a little.

Or if a guy like say Aaron Judge starts struggling and keeps struggling in like say June or July I'd bump him down.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 03-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

I did edit some Padre players but only minor things that were very off. For example, Spangenbergs speed needed a big boosting, as did Renfroe's arm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Rookie

MoneyMan17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
I'll mainly just edit like physical attributes of guys usually.

Like speed, arm strength, etc.

The only time I bump up the hitting or pitching ratings is if they are having a really good season in my chises. Their performance in the outside world has no bearing on mine.

So for example let's use Acuna Jr. On the roster I currently have he's like all 60s in hitting, so if he was to be raking come say June or July or so I'd probably bump him up a little.

Or if a guy like say Aaron Judge starts struggling and keeps struggling in like say June or July I'd bump him down.
I don't understand the logic behind this? Making a struggling player even worse and a hot player even better??? Doesn't make sense to me
Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 8

do whatever you want to make the game more enjoyable for you. If that means editing Dixon Machado to a 99 power rating or Judge to a 99 contact rating, more power to you.

Some like realism, some like different types of games. On Madden I'm constantly worrying about realism, trying to get games to be 24-21 with realistic stats, etc. On the other hand my brother is happy to go 16-0 every season with the Raiders and throw for 6000 yards, have a rusher with 2500 yards, etc.

No one way is correct.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #8
Rookie

TheCoastIsBen's Arena

I usually only do it at the start of a franchise. Theres just always a few players who I feel should be corrected. I.e. last year I changed Byron Buxton to a 99 SPD. I try to keep it realistic for the most part.

Sent from my VS996 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »