Home

MLB The Show 18: What Is and Isn't Working With Gameplay

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18: What Is and Isn't Working With Gameplay within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #57
Banned

a bit outside's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18: What Is and Isn't Working With Gameplay

I noticed that the catcher glitch is still around. Playing a game against Arizona and they pinch ran Jeremy Hazlebaker for their catcher and then he took over behind the plate. Passed balls again.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #58
Rookie

Home runs and other long fly balls just seem to "float" to their destination, there isn't any sense of the proper arc and gravity working as the ball travels. This is especially obvious when viewing HR's via the "No doubt" camera angle. The ball just kind of floats off and lands softly in the stands.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #59
Rookie

JPCaveman13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Only because they choose a terrible solution, one that doesn't even make sense in the context of their own game and engine.

Players have bunt ratings - if they are trash, the bunts should miss/go foul a lot. That would take the risk/reward out of it as you're more likely to throw away PAs than you are to get a cheesy hit.

Then the players that it makes sense to bunt with - the guys with decent bunt ratings, have decent or better chances at the good ones...and these are guys you might bring corners in to guard bunt against...the baseball version of a "natural counter".

All from just respecting the ratings they already have in the game...then you have your video game balance without ruining the actual baseball. Why they didn't do that, I'd love to know...
I like this idea as well.

To further expand on this discussion, what would you think about bunting being done in a completely analog way similar to how PCI/zone hitting is?? For example, let's say that L2 becomes the initial bunt command. The L/R sticks would control your bat position in the zone (actually putting bat to ball) and the other would be to aim and control speed (deaden a bunt down the third base line or push one between the P/1B). The ratings could really influence how well the hitter moves the bat in the zone and how well they can control the ball off the bat, as well as put some skill in execution onto the user.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #60
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzbee
Home runs and other long fly balls just seem to "float" to their destination, there isn't any sense of the proper arc and gravity working as the ball travels. This is especially obvious when viewing HR's via the "No doubt" camera angle. The ball just kind of floats off and lands softly in the stands.
All balls this year are hit with what seems to be extreme backspin. They removed the top spin hits that were implemented last year. Don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCaveman13
I like this idea as well.

To further expand on this discussion, what would you think about bunting being done in a completely analog way similar to how PCI/zone hitting is?? For example, let's say that L2 becomes the initial bunt command. The L/R sticks would control your bat position in the zone (actually putting bat to ball) and the other would be to aim and control speed (deaden a bunt down the third base line or push one between the P/1B). The ratings could really influence how well the hitter moves the bat in the zone and how well they can control the ball off the bat, as well as put some skill in execution onto the user.
That actually sounds really badass.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 04-01-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 PM   #61
MVP

Houston's Arena

Theirs a major issue this year when it comes to errors being recorded. I have sliders adjusted and get more errors this is not the issue i'm speaking of.

When players misplay a ball and those type of things the game is not recognizing it n several occasions an not giving the proper errors on the box score.

I have had bobble balls, 1B coming off the bag those get recorded as they should if the player doesn't make the play in time.

Mainly the outfield or 2B the player misjudges the ball or it gets past him, either hits glove or just didn't make the play, and the game does not give the player an error.

I seen Kepler on the TWINS make 2 mistakes on a played ball in RF he didn't make the catch for whatever reason the ball rolls to wall, the base runner advances several bases, but no errors were given ans this happen 2 times in one game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #62
MVP

forme95's Arena

Wild pitches act like the ball is made of rubber. Balls in the dirt just don't react this way every time. Yes, some get away, but not at the rate mlbts has them. Ugh

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #63
Banned

51shergie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplate
I’m seeing an issue where in the majority of my games my pitcher falls apart in the 6th inning no matter how well he’s done in prior innings.
Well that’s good to hear, that means it’s right in line with real baseball. The third time through the lineup is a killer for most starting pitchers.

Baseball is changing And you should be happy you’re starting pitcher gave you six good innings. Everything is about the bullpen now, guys that pitch 200 innings a season will soon be extinct. Don’t even remember the last 20 game winner. Kind of sucks but what are you gonna do?

Personally I don’t understand why some are insisting on treating the problem with bunting as dire or serious enough to complain and act like it is ruining the game. All you should be trying to do is move the runner over. If the ball being hit too hard results in a double play, then you have to adjust and make the runner steal while Bunting. And if you miss the bunt and get thrown out stealing, maybe it’s time you come over to the American League and quit with all that nonsense bunting tomfoolery.

Trust me, I’m an Astros fan that reluctantly had to switch after being in the National League all my life. I did not want them to go and never liked the designated hitter. Trust me, there is no way I would ever want to go back to watching the pitcher take at bats away from players that are actually paid to bat. Just thinking about them standing there like they’ve never held a bat before. I should not know a player is a picture just by watching them stand in the box LOL
Old 04-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #64
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

Bunting. Sac bunting. I created a "house rule" not to turn a double play on the cpu, but they did it to me once and now I show no mercy. It's out of control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »