Home

Manual Shifts

This is a discussion on Manual Shifts within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Manual Shifts

Im just curious for people who uses manual shifts.

at what percentage do you shift for batters? when you look at a batters spray chart, do you shift based on the percentages? also at what percent do you say to your self, ok im going to shift on this guy because majority of the time he hits to this side of the field.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Rookie

TheCoastIsBen's Arena

Re: Manual Shifts

I use manual shifts specifically so the computer wont shift. While in real life it works well, I constantly get hit against the shift and its always for extra bases. Id rather allow a few more singles on grounders through the infoeld than doubles to the wall against the shift.

Sent from my VS996 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syce
Im just curious for people who uses manual shifts.

at what percentage do you shift for batters? when you look at a batters spray chart, do you shift based on the percentages? also at what percent do you say to your self, ok im going to shift on this guy because majority of the time he hits to this side of the field.
I use shifts by the batter tendency instead of the percentages. So of a guy has a pull tendency I'll do the regular shift, if he's extreme pull I'll do the extreme shift.

I do make some modifications to the regular shifts though. Mostly moving the SS or 2B to a position that fills whatever hole I think they should shade toward. Those are dependent on percentages but I kind of go by my gut in terms of what percentage differences I'll make the adjustments with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoastIsBen
I use manual shifts specifically so the computer wont shift. While in real life it works well, I constantly get hit against the shift and its always for extra bases. Id rather allow a few more singles on grounders through the infoeld than doubles to the wall against the shift
Two tips. First, dont shift your outfield if you shift your infield. In fact, many times MLB teams shift their outfield the opposite direction as their infield. The auto shifts in the game in my opinion are over done because the entire defense is shifted. So I shift the infield based on whether they are a Pull, or Extreme Pull Hitter like he said, and based on that players history against me, but not shift the outfield. I'm also moving individual players a lot as I see fit.

Next, if you are in the shift, try to work the ball inside as much as possible. Dont give them something they can take the other way easily. If I throw away, but it's more for deception or to set them up, and generally off the plate. They will still occasionally take an inside pitch the other way, but it's not often.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
MVP

underdog13's Arena

Yes, I also use it specifically to combat the cpu shifting. I almost never use dp depth, don't really need it to turn dp's. I also like using guard lines just in general.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Rookie

I use shift on every batter that I face, even if they're are runners on base. When a lefty is up with a runner at first I'll hold the runner on first and then shift the second baseman to extrem and the shortstop like right overor beside the 2nd base bag and the 3B will be on the cutoff at third. And for the outfield I shift to the opposite field direction and pull the opposite fielder in to shallow. That cuts down on what would he doubles against the shift and takes away jammed hits
Old 03-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
MVP

Syce's Arena

the thing that has always bugged me with manual shifting, is what i tend to do is right at the start i will setup my shifts for each player in the lineup. the problem is, they tend to do that shift even if players are on base, then you have to move everything around and some times they dont seem to adjust but go back to the shift you set at the start, kind of confusing and frustrating at the same time.
Toronto Maple Leafs

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »